Westerly

Mental Health

More people die from suicide than gun crimes by a factor of three. More people die from suicide than automobile accidents. More people in the military died from suicide than in actual armed conflict. I have know two skydivers who killed themselves. Especially in the USA, there is such an immense stigma against mental health that reaching out for help regarding mental issues will label you as a defect that warrants close monitoring and little trust. We still view mental health as something exclusive to the defective, which is ridiculous as mental health issues are absolutely no different than physical health issues. We view heart disease caused by a lifetime of unhealthy habits as acceptable and normal, but mental challenges as atypical and unusual which is ridiculous as mental health is the one challenge that virtually every human that lives more than a few years will for sure experience.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by Westerly

51 minutes ago, Westerly said:

More people die from suicide than gun crimes by a factor of three. More people die from suicide than automobile accidents. More people in the military died from suicide than in actual armed conflict. I have know two skydivers who killed themselves. Especially in the USA, there is such an immense stigma against mental health that reaching out for help regarding mental issues will label you as a defect that warrants close monitoring and little trust. We still view mental health as something exclusive to the defective, which is ridiculous as mental health issues are absolutely no different than physical health issues. We view heart disease caused by a lifetime of unhealthy habits as acceptable and normal, but mental challenges as atypical and unusual which is ridiculous as mental health is the one challenge that virtually every human that lives more than a few years will for sure experience.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

Hi Westerly,

One problem with your premise is that it also includes those that choose to die via Death With Dignity; which I feel should not be included.

Every year I contribute to the Death With Dignity organization because I believe in it.

Death with Dignity National Center - Wikipedia

Oregon - Death With Dignity

Jerry Baumchen

Mental health is still very scary, and in many cases analyzed by ways that aren't that different from adjusting one's humours in the 17th century. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and we really don't know why. We're getting better, but it's not there yet.

It's expensive to work on, and in the US and much of the rest of the world, we have gotten used enough to medicine working that we want fast results for everything. Sucks if you're stuck in it; lucky if you aren't.

Wendy P.

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

In Ohio the funding for mental health has dried up.  There is no place to go for people who need help.

Well, it is becoming a very red state and you get what you pay for. A drop or two are on the way though..

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/united-states-senators-rob-portman-sherrod-brown-ohio-35-million-mental-behaviorial-health/95-75fb010d-ba68-4006-8093-8160fd0051df

(edited)
13 hours ago, wmw999 said:

It's expensive to work on

It's a hell of a lot cheaper to work on than virtually any serious chronic illness--which is something that most people get eventually. Even the everyday common breast cancer can cost more to treat one patient than it would cost to treat 30 suicidal patients.

Edited by Westerly

On 3/5/2021 at 9:40 PM, Westerly said:

As someone who suffered chronic depression with suicidal ideation for about eight years I understand the insidiousness of this disease. I came very close to checking out three times but could not carry it through. 

On 16 Mar 1981 I was homeless in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, no home, no money, no friends, and no resources for help. I surrendered to the Gospel of God and asked Jesus Christ to come into my life and take control. I was at the end of my rope.

I met and experienced the saving grace of God through Jesus and my life was changed forever.

The Gospel works when you have no self reliance left. 

Philippeans:
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

If you believe you still have power then you do not need Jesus. You will stand on your own. To be saved you have to know in your heart that you are lost.

13 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

As someone who suffered chronic depression with suicidal ideation for about eight years I understand the insidiousness of this disease. I came very close to checking out three times but could not carry it through. 

On 16 Mar 1981 I was homeless in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, no home, no money, no friends, and no resources for help. I surrendered to the Gospel of God and asked Jesus Christ to come into my life and take control. I was at the end of my rope.

I met and experienced the saving grace of God through Jesus and my life was changed forever.

Philippeans:
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

If you believe you still have power then you do not need Jesus. You will stand on your own. To be saved you have to know in your heart that you are lost.

These come to Jesus stories from folks who were down and out, starving, and with no place to go when along comes a a savior, bible in one hand, a subway sandwich in the other and a spare warm dry bed really don't count for much. Now when I hear that Bill Gates, Elon Musk and Lady Gaga decided to toss all of their chips in the collection bowl and give up their comfortable lives I just might be interested.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Philippeans:

I'm glad it worked out for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

These come to Jesus stories from folks who were down and out, starving, and with no place to go when along comes a a savior, bible in one hand, a subway sandwich in the other and a spare warm dry bed really don't count for much. Now when I hear that Bill Gates, Elon Musk and Lady Gaga decided to toss all of their chips in the collection bowl and give up their comfortable lives I just might be interested.

JoeWeber you will not get interested until you have lost all personal power and self-reliance. Just know that if and when that happens, Jesus is The Way.

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

Philippeans:

Hi Ron,

I disagree with almost everything you post on here.  I am very glad that you made the choice that you did; the alternative choice would have been far worse.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  We all need something/someone every now & then.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

JoeWeber you will not get interested until you have lost all personal power and self-reliance. Just know that if and when that happens, Jesus is The Way.

Just so you know, Jesus was your way. There are other ways for other people. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Some here have replied to your song as if you haven't already sung it too many times before. You made it through rough times. Good on you but others have too and without Jesus. Sadly you'll never know the incredible feeling that comes from facing personal adversity and tragedy and overcoming it strengthened only by your own indomitable desire to carry on and get through it. You see, Ron, yours is a story of giving up. Whatever floats your boat, buddy, but that will never be my story.

40 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

I hope that you can be as happy for other people who have found their own way as you are with your chosen way.

6 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

But that's what worked for him; not a problem. But Bill's right, too -- it doesn't work for everyone, and I've known Christians who gave up.

Wendy P.

They weren’t “real Christians”. Just CINOs.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, Westerly said:

I've known three skydivers that have committed suicide.  I've a hypothesis that skydivers are prone to CTE, read an article where it stated that sudden deceleration can have the same affect over time as impact trauma.  I'll see if I can find it.

52 minutes ago, tonyhays said:

I've known three skydivers that have committed suicide.  I've a hypothesis that skydivers are prone to CTE, read an article where it stated that sudden deceleration can have the same affect over time as impact trauma.  I'll see if I can find it.

Could be. But I know a lot of skydivers with a hell of a lot of jumps, many when snappy openings were the norm, and there doesn't appear to be a correlation. 

Suicide is but one(albeit extreme) symptom of CTE.  Here's a list of others from the Mayo clinic.  

Difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment)

Impulsive behavior

Depression or apathy

Short-term memory loss

Difficulty planning and carrying out tasks (executive function)

Emotional instability

Substance misuse

Suicidal thoughts or behavior

1 hour ago, tonyhays said:

Suicide is but one(albeit extreme) symptom of CTE.  Here's a list of others from the Mayo clinic.  

Difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment)

Impulsive behavior

Depression or apathy

Short-term memory loss

Difficulty planning and carrying out tasks (executive function)

Emotional instability

Substance misuse

Suicidal thoughts or behavior

All those symptoms can also be attributed to insomnia.

(edited)

There are many extenuating circumstances to consider when dealing with suicidal ideation.

Consider: Anger, Anxiety, Guilt, and Depression all woven together.

Any unresolved or unexpressed emotion can lead to suicidal thoughts. Also, generally in the mix is alcoholism or any substance use disorder.

The ego can attempt to repress the emotions. Counseling and Rx medications can assist with coping mechanisms.

If you are in bondage and have intrusive unwanted thoughts you know it and God knows it too.

Only God through Jesus can wipe the slate clean and create a new life in Christ.

John 8:36
Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed

I think of it this way. The old self died and a new self is born again. It is actually the perfect suicide. 

Edited by RonD1120

3 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

There are many extenuating circumstances to consider when dealing with suicidal ideation.

Consider: Anger, Anxiety, Guilt, and Depression all woven together.

Any unresolved or unexpressed emotion can lead to suicidal thoughts. Also, generally in the mix is alcoholism or any substance use disorder.

The ego can attempt to repress the emotions. Counseling and Rx medications can assist with coping mechanisms.

Only God through Jesus can wipe the slate clean and create a new life in Christ.

John 8:36
Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed

I think of it this way. The old self died and a new self is born again. It is actually the perfect suicide. 

I hear tell you're doin' well,
Good things have come to you.
I wish I had your happiness
And you had a do-wacka-do,
Wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

They tell me you're runnin' free,
Your days are never blue.
I wish I had your good-luck charm
And you had a do-wacka-do,
Wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.