Hooknswoop

2020 vehicle & firearm statistics

36 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I'd suggest using average car prices in 1950 as a better calculator. Because it reflects automation of production better, sidesteps the great recession and WW2 influences. In 1955 price: $1,987 USD was the retail for a Chevrolet Bel Air. Using the same calculator $19,394.16 should be the 2021 retail price.

Right.  But for the Bel Air that was the base price, without extras like power steering, automatic transmission or air conditioning.

Today all those things come standard in midsize cars costing around $22K.  And today's cars have twice the power, comparing base model to base model.

So that's a case where the price didn't change much.

A few years in the future, I would love to watch a teenager try to steal the Korean War surplus Jeep that I learned to drive in: manual steering, manual transmission, manual choke, windshield wipers driven by manifold pressure, no heater, no air-conditioning, no cigarette lighter, no GPS, no reverse camera, no turn signals, no anti-lock brakes, no automatic cancel on turn signals, no automatic following distance, no automatic braking, no cruise control, ... oh and the battery was dead forcing us to push start. I quickly got good at parking on hills.

22 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

. . .no turn signals . . .no automatic cancel on turn signals . . .

How can it have 'automatic cancel on turn signals' if it doesn't have turn signals?

In a related story - 

I once watched a bunch of college kids try to drive a tractor to get a Christmas tree.  Clutch on the right, two brakes on the left, throttle under the steering wheel, six gears.  The first guy knocked over the chicken coop and we spent the next half hour trying to catch all the chickens.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

A few years in the future, I would love to watch a teenager try to steal the Korean War surplus Jeep that I learned to drive in: manual steering, manual transmission, manual choke, windshield wipers driven by manifold pressure, no heater, no air-conditioning, no cigarette lighter, no GPS, no reverse camera, no turn signals, no anti-lock brakes, no automatic cancel on turn signals, no automatic following distance, no automatic braking, no cruise control, ... oh and the battery was dead forcing us to push start. I quickly got good at parking on hills.

Ditto with my 1946 MG, which in addition has steering wheel on the right and you have to shift with the left hand.

mg at caribou.jpg

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

How can it have 'automatic cancel on turn signals' if it doesn't have turn signals?

In a related story - 

I once watched a bunch of college kids try to drive a tractor to get a Christmas tree.  Clutch on the right, two brakes on the left, throttle under the steering wheel, six gears.  The first guy knocked over the chicken coop and we spent the next half hour trying to catch all the chickens.

I'll bet they were engineering students!:D 

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1