Henryhops

Traveling with a rig - once you get there...

Hi all, I've read all posts on traveling with your rig and difficulties you may have and all that. My question is... then what? I'm headed to Thailand in January and will be taking my rig with me to Thai sky Adventures (I'm living in china and there's no worthy skydiving here). I only intend to be there for a couple days before traveling on to see some of Thailand. What do you all do with your rigs? My current plan is to just lug it around everywhere (in a backpack) and forego physical comfort for peace of mind. It will be a bit unweildy in a bar, though.. anyone trust their hotel enough to lock it up there? Please let me know your thoughts and offer any advice you may have.

The answer is that it depends. Are you staying at a nice hotel or are you staying in a hostel-type setup? I haven't traveled to Thailand, but my experience in other parts of Asia was that the hotels that catered to westerners had very good security measures in place to ensure return customers. I have left gear in hundreds of hotels, but usually leave the do not disturb tag on the door and if I'm traveling with a rig or climbing gear I bury it under my clothes in a suitcase, etc.

Carrying all but the smallest rig around in a bag, particularly into bars and other places isn't a great plan. Most bars I've seen in Asia are pretty adamant about not bringing bags in due to weapons or concerns with cameras, etc. You also make yourself a target to potential petty theft as criminals home in on someone who looks out of place and is carrying a large bag that doesn't leave your sight. Another concern is loss and damage-Most of us have had some long nights, last thing you want to do is lose your gear after a night of beverages.

A better option might be to store your gear at the DZ. This makes the most sense if you are jumping at one DZ. Odds are good the DZ is on a airfield with some security in place, or is rural enough to reduce the risk of theft.

Lastly, you can get traveler's insurance that will cover gear if stolen. I haven't looked into it in a long time-but it generally isn't too expensive and you can also have the plan cover medical and transport expenses if the worst happens.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Henryhops

My current plan is to just lug it around everywhere (in a backpack) and forego physical comfort for peace of mind.

Many rigs fit airline permitted roll-aboards with a helmet around a top corner plus room for jump suit + extras. Most should fit with the main out of its pack tray if you can't get down to that size (I used to travel with a pair of 245 square foot base rigs in a carry-on). Larger rolling luggage is an option if you can't get down to that size with the main out of its pack tray.

While you still don't want to deal with security and other issues dragging one everywhere, that makes necessary travel on foot more pleasant.

If you are jumping over seas you need travel insurance, and medical evac insurance.

If you bust yourself up how are you going to foot the bill to get home if you are looking at a long hospital stay and rehab? It may be an expensive medical transport back, and not an earlier coach ticket on a new return flight.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P