1 1
brenthutch

The world goes Green

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

is this the hill you choose to die on”

"The hill you want to die on" is an Idiom used when describing something that will make or break your reputation. Glory or ignominy. To date, you've only provided populist positions/viewpoints against AGW, but have failed to embrace the science of it.  

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

So far I have seen no evidence of any level of sincerity in your posts. 

Yeah, no comment from her about her obvious attempt at trying to trap which failed miserably:

1 hour ago, Zoe Phin said:

Did you like my protoplanets picture? You agree that they're protoplanets right?

So, why the sudden pivot back to PDS 70? Have you forgotten about the triple-star system so quickly?

6 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

olof, why can't can't you answer a simple question? It's really simple.

You only think it's simple because that's the limit of your ability.

The black circle marks the position of the star PDS 70, but your question is more specific and that will depend on the specific processing to get the image, which I didn't do.

9 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

But you agree that the star is approximately the SIZE of that black circle, correct?

Or does it fall out of the circle? By how much? 

Maybe it's diameter is twice that black circle?

I don't know. I've just emailed one of the astronomers involved, so I'll probably have some answers by next week.

(edited)

Oh that's good.

Because to me it looks like the star and its largest "proto planet" are too close in size. Which would be odd, don't you think?

You completely misconstrued my hint with the triple-star system. Sorry if I seemed "deceptive".

Edited by Zoe Phin

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

If that argument made any sense, the South, where slavery was most prevalent, would be the richest region.  But they weren’t, so there goes that red herring.

Just like the Appalachians is the richest region cause that's where the coal came from.

18 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

Oh that's good.

Because to me it looks like the star and its largest "proto planet" are too close in size. Which would be odd, don't you think?

No.  That's an accreting planet.  The planetary nebula surrounding it is much bigger than the final planet will be. Once the planet has completely accreted it will be too small to see.

Again, a few science courses will help you out here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billvon said:

No.  That's an accreting planet.  The planetary nebula surrounding it is much bigger than the final planet will be. Once the planet has completely accreted it will be too small to see.

You do realize that's speculation, right? And the star is not subject to the same speculation? Funny how that works.

Lucky that the proto-planet hunters got to it first, because if the triple-star hunters got to it first, it would be a different story.

39 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

What Billvon said. From the Wikipedia article:

The optically thick accretion disk radius is 3.0±0.2 RJ, significantly larger than the planet itself.

And it's a large planet:

PDS 70b, even as a baby planet, is larger than our solar system’s biggest planet, Jupiter.

https://earthsky.org/space/astronomers-see-baby-planet-pds-70b-growing