1 1
brenthutch

The world goes Green

1 hour ago, Zoe Phin said:

What angular momentum? The one it has now?

The fact that you don't even know it has it is funny.

You see, genius, we like to send probes fast  then slow it down. We could've also sent it the slow way for the whole trip.

There's no sending it the "slow way" when you're talking falling towards the sun - all Venus and Mercury space probes had to do several flybys of earth, Venus and Mercury to bleed off speed. If Venus comes from outside the solar system, it will build up a lot of speed falling towards the sun. Even if it starts slowly, an object coming from outside the solar system will get VERY fast. That's actually how astronomers find them - see: 2I/Borisov and 1I/Oumuamua.

Now go desperately seek another "gotcha" to embarass yourself and never grow any wiser.

You don't realise it, but you're falling for every single "gotcha". :rofl:

you have ZERO basis for disqualifying this hypothesis.

Oh, I have a lot :rofl: you're piling it up, you see.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Yes of course. There is always the possibility that it was a lonesome planet wandering aimlessly through the galaxy looking for a home. Perhaps it was delivered and placed into orbit by an unknown cosmic Amazon delivery truck. I mean, you can't prove it wasn't.

No, I think Venus was polishing its thrusters to prepare for entering close orbit around the sun :rofl:

You can learn about all the problems with the standard nebular formation hypothesis. They're open about it. Or you can ridicule my specifics. Either way, actual space scientists acknowledge the highly speculative nature of their theories.

Back to big words! No more "cold heating warm"? :rofl:

But yes, it's alright to come up with highly speculative theories, but it doesn't excuse not trying to back it up with evidence and explanations of proposed mechanisms, with at least some basic calculations.

Oh, and a grasp of basic principles, which you don't have.

22 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I wasn’t making up the fact that CO2 has caused a greening of the planet. 

Ooohhh the Battle of the Climate Change Deniers!

In this corner we have BrentHutch, veteran climate change denier and DZ.com troll, claiming of COURSE that CO2 is increasing, warming the planet and miraculously promoting plant life.  He's said that all along, you see!

In the other corner we have Zoe, who once took a science class, and who claims that without a doubt anyone who thinks that CO2 is doing anything to warm the planet is nuts, an idiot, a stooge, "how ignorant can you be?"  (Oh, and that Venus is an extrasolar planet that magically became our second planet.)

Will they duke it out?  Will there be blood on the pages of DZ.com?  Will there be a grudge match?

Or will they just join forces, since their objective is denial rather than science?

• Like 2

Warning: Abusive behavior. You may not call other posters an idiot.

Only if you lean right.  If you are a leftie you can get away with calling someone a racist, an *sshole and a f*cking c*unt.  (Not an exaggeration)
I got a “time out” for posting a graph from a governmental source.  (It contradicted with the moderators world view)

12 hours ago, olofscience said:

When real gravitational capture happens an equal mass usually needs to be tossed out. For example with Neptune's moon Triton, a possible actual capture, another similar moon was probably ejected when it happened.

Ah there we go. olof admits it's possible.

olof is also apparently a time traveler. He went back time and saw that the sun didn't eject something. It must be exactly like he wants it to be.

13 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

olof,

I see you're pressuming that Venus was standing still.

I see you're ignoring Enceladus' south pole "thrusters"

I see you're ignoring SIMILAR problems with the mainstream nebular hypothesis.

I see your pathetic pretensions.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

This gets better and better!

First you make up an entirely new theory just because you couldn't answer my question of why Venus' internal heat was different.

Now you're saying Enceladus has "thrusters"? :rofl::rofl::rofl: You'll SERIOUSLY add "thrusters" to your Venus theory because of my joke, I'm so flattered :rofl::rofl: this is hilarious!

Please, please expand on the problems of the nebular hypothesis, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

PS. I'm aware of the geysers on Enceladus, but they hardly produce any thrust.

Edited by olofscience

19 minutes ago, billvon said:

Ooohhh the Battle of the Climate Change Deniers!

In this corner we have BrentHutch, veteran climate change denier and DZ.com troll, claiming of COURSE that CO2 is increasing, warming the planet and miraculously promoting plant life.  He's said that all along, you see!

It sounds like 2012 all over again, you were wrong then you are wrong now.  But don’t let that stop you.  Obviously you are not familiar the idiom “there is no education in the second kick of a mule.” 

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Only if you lean right.  If you are a leftie you can get away with calling someone a racist, an *sshole and a f*cking c*unt.  (Not an exaggeration)
I got a “time out” for posting a graph from a governmental source.  (It contradicted with the moderators world view)

Ya know, Brent, I gave at least two people warnings over calling you names last month; later in that same thread you complained about the abuse that had already been penalized.

They got warnings. One got a 10-day ban based on the warnings. We don't do floggings here.

Wendy P.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

Ah there we go. olof admits it's possible.

olof is also apparently a time traveler. He went back time and saw that the sun didn't eject something. It must be exactly like he wants it to be.

You ignored the huge caveats though:

1. Triton ejected a similar mass, and there are a lot of similar objects now in the Kuiper Belt.
  2. Venus is 230 times the mass of Triton, and there's no way it could have gotten there without disturbing the orbits of every planet except Mercury
  3. Triton's orbit is still very eccentric, since ejecting that other object didn't make its orbit circular enough.
  4. Venus' orbit is the most circular of ALL the planets. So I like your thrusters theory better :rofl:

"He's headed for Venus, Obi-wan!"

"That's no Venus..." :rofl:

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
31 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Ya know, Brent, I gave at least two people warnings over calling you names last month; later in that same thread you complained about the abuse that had already been penalized.

They got warnings. One got a 10-day ban based on the warnings. We don't do floggings here.

Wendy P.

I didn’t complain, I just pointed out the hypocrisy.  BillV gave me a one day time-out for posting a graph from the state of Texas.

I’m not even going to show him the graph that shows the US using more fossil fuels than ever before and the utter failure for wind and solar to make SIGNIFICANT strides to replace them in the foreseeable future and the ever increasing levels of atmospheric CO2.  That would just be mean.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)

olof,

Why would you compare the size of Venus to Triton? You ought to be comparing Venus to THE SUN.

I'm sure you have no problem with asteroid capture, right?

You have no problem with Phobos and Deimos, right?

And yet the size relationship between asteroids and its host planet is not far outside the Sun-Venus comparison.

Anyone with integrity can see that you're crafting ad hoc excuses, and yet you can use that same ad hoc reasoning to agree with me that it's possible.

Lame hypocrisy

24 minutes ago, olofscience said:

no way it could have gotten there without disturbing the orbits of every planet

Maybe it did. Were you there to see it not happen?

Edited by Zoe Phin

Where is the hypocrisy in their getting warnings and bannings? Or did you want floggings?

As far as warings and/or bannings, there were explanations available to you. The chart from Texas was not the cause, and you know it. And, as you also know, too much meta-discussion or pushback on moderation is also a warnable or bannable offense. These are the rules. They may be arbitrary, but the site is proprietary, not a utility.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

Anyone with integrity can see that you're crafting ad hoc excuses

Anyone with a brain can see that you're making up answers as I dismantle your arguments :rofl: are you abandoning the Enceladus thrusters now? I'm disappointed.

And yet the size relationshio between that asteroid and its host planet is not far outside the Sun-Venus comparison.

That's not an explanation. Mars' moons orbit close enough to Mars (such that Phobos will one day crash into it) and there is LOADS of evidence that Mars was warmer in the past with a thicker atmosphere, so the atmosphere could act to slow them down and capture them in orbit (see Aerocapture). Mars also happens to be right next to the asteroid belt with many similar objects.

Maybe it did. Were you there to see it not happen?

Then how come Mars' and Earth's orbits are still very circular? Earth is almost the same mass. Mars is around half the mass of Venus, it should have been thrown around even more. When Triton threw out its neighbours, it threw out almost ALL of them such that it now makes up 95% of the mass of all Neptune's moons. And even if it happened billions of years ago, Triton still has the evidence that it's a capture:

1. It has a retrograde orbit
  2. it has an eccentric orbit
  3. it resembles the Kuiper belt objects in composition

Same with Phobos and Deimos, they resemble the nearby asteroid belt in composition. But your theory has no evidence whatsoever, and it's because you made it up on the spot.

Edited by olofscience

I see you're ignoring Enceladus' south pole "thrusters"

This is a keeper.  You have now backed yourself into such a corner that you are claiming that a moon has . . . thrusters.  To avoid admitting a mistake.

Up next - it's the secret Jewish space lasers warming up the planet, not the sun or AGW!  If you ignore those FACTS it's because you are a closed minded sheeple.  Baaa!

(edited)

29 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Where is the hypocrisy in their getting warnings and bannings? Or did you want floggings?

As far as warings and/or bannings, there were explanations available to you. The chart from Texas was not the cause, and you know it. And, as you also know, too much meta-discussion or pushback on moderation is also a warnable or bannable offense. These are the rules. They may be arbitrary, but the site is proprietary, not a utility.

Wendy P.

I have never seen so much discussion from the mods justifying what they decide. I don't think it is a good idea to do that. A little mystery goes a long way.

Edited by gowlerk

3 hours ago, Zoe Phin said:

Either way, actual space scientists acknowledge the highly speculative nature of their theories.

I'm told space cadets should do the same. BTW, what in the Lord's name is a "space scientist"? Where did you get your "space degree"?

6 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I'm told space cadets should do the same. BTW, what in the Lord's name is a "space scientist"? Where did you get your "space degree"?

Where I went to college had space studies, actually... Of course, it is in Houston

Wendy P.

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

Where I went to college had space studies, actually... Of course, it is in Houston

Wendy P.

So, Google search for "space studies" reveals several programs. Much to my surprise. Sounds a lot like the technical science version of an arts degree!