helldog

Flat turns

Ive been reading about all the incidents involving low turns and their disasterous results. The one thing I hear over and over is that that everyone should be more profficient at "Flat Turns". Can someone elaborate more on what a flat turn is.
Blue Skies
Jim

A flat turn is a turn that involves minimal bank angle and loss of altitude. The exact technique will vary somewhat by canopy, but a good starting point is to go to half brakes or a little more and let up a little on one toggle to turn the other way. A search for the term in the forums will yield an excellent discussion of flat turn technique by billvon.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

A flat turn allows you to alter the direction the canopy is facing while keeping the "wingtips" as level as possible. This means your descent rate remains low, and avoids the pendulum effect of contacting the ground before the canopy has had a chance to resume level flight following a normal toggle turn. It is particularly useful when making a turn at low altitude, for example to avoid an obstacle or another jumper.

In my opinion, its a skill we should teach as a requirement for A License. I know the BPA are currently considering adding additional canopy coaching to the syllabus.

Best to ask your instructor, but in the meantime, more information can be found at:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/98_low.pdf

I also recommend:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/survival.pdf

Hope this helps,

Blue skies

Ollie

A flat turn is a turn that involves minimal bank angle and loss of altitude. The exact technique will vary somewhat by canopy, but a good starting point is to go to half brakes or a little more and let up a little on one toggle to turn the other way.

Yep - like others have said look for Billvons description of them.

VERY important to remember - if you've done a flat turn low to the ground be careful how much, if at all, you ease the toggles up. It'd be unfortunate to perform a good flat turn only to surge yourself into the ground.

If you have a chance to, get in a canopy class ASAP. These, as well as other, life saving techniques are covered in detail.

Blue skies
ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Here is about as clear a reply I have seen to this question before anywhere (it was posted by Billvon back in May of '02 for further reference HERE...

A flat turn is an emergency manuever that lets you go from full flight in one direction to full flight in another direction with minimum loss of altitude and minimum change in airspeed. They can be used when someone suddenly cuts you off or you have to abort your landing at 100 feet (say, you just realized you were about to land in a minefield.)

Start in full flight. Initiate the turn with one brake. Immediately follow with the other one to "flatten" the turn. Continue until you are pointed the direction you want to be pointed in, bringing both brakes gradually further down. As soon as you're on heading, let the brakes back up.

If your canopy dives to recover its airspeed after you have completed the turn, you used too much opposite toggle. If your canopy is in a dive when you come out of the turn (i.e. you get a normal diving turn) you used too little opposite toggle. A perfect flat turn lets you come out of the turn at normal flying speed, allowing an immediate flare if needed.

See also: "Flare Turns" for making emergency direction corrections at under 50ft AGL.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Thanks for the direction. I see now that flat turns are just another way to say braked turns. (let me know if this is not the case. Still practice those every time down. (learning the characteristics of my new canopy)
looking at the last post now it seems that the flat turn is initiated before going to brakes, so not the same as a braked turn
(thanks for the link to the billvon post:))
blue skies
jim

Ollie:

check out http://www.cspa.ca/cspa/Students/CoPs.html and click on the Cop2001 "here" hyperlink.

In Canada we have a pre'A called the Solo Certificate. For that ticket you need to demonstrate a stable sit exit, canopy stall and recovery, and rear riser turns. By the time you get your A you need to demonstrate 180 degree flat turns, rear riser FLARES, and front and rear riser spirals. I'm sure the BPA is looking at our model which is even more stringent than the FAI standards ath the CoP level while still allowing a 'feels good to get off student status' ticket (valid in Canada only) to encourage people to stay in the sport but progress to an internationally recognized level.

Looking back I actually found the canopy stuff to be the easiest because I did static line (well, IAD) and I was asking for 'fun canopy stuff' from about jump #3. I still aspire to CReW.

Our system is NOT geared to the 'I gotta get my D asap mindset'. I guess that's in part due to our system being biased to require C's and D's ONLY for advanced coach and instructor ratings - and those CoP's are quite tough to get for that reason.

Dave.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

In my opinion, its a skill we should teach as a requirement for A License. I know the BPA are currently considering adding additional canopy coaching to the syllabus.

CH1 is a requirment for A License and flat turns are covered by this, are you refering to more canopy exercises as well as CH1?
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk