Bob_Church

You know you're an older jumper when...

gb1

Telemeters, not binoculars. And hard to get.

I think we're talking about something different here. If i unerstand correctlly a telemeter is a kind of stopwatch.

I mean the large, heavy binoculars which are mounted on even heavier steel tripods. The jury used these to judge style-competitions in the era that cameras were few and far between. (in Dutch: Stijl-kijker)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

We called them "telemeters" They were as you describe. They were actually surplus military equipment originally used as rangefinders. I assume for aiming AA fire. The current modern meaning of the word is different.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Baksteen

***Telemeters, not binoculars. And hard to get.

I think we're talking about something different here. If i unerstand correctlly a telemeter is a kind of stopwatch.

I mean the large, heavy binoculars which are mounted on even heavier steel tripods. The jury used these to judge style-competitions in the era that cameras were few and far between. (in Dutch: Stijl-kijker)

Telemeter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original meaning of telemeter, and still one of the main uses of the word, was a device used to measure distances to remote objects, that is, a rangefinder. Originally optical devices used in surveying, they soon found military applications in rangefinding, especially naval gunnery.

More generally, a telemeter is a device used to remotely measure any quantity. It consists of a sensor, a transmission path, and a display, recording, or control device. Telemeters are the physical devices used in telemetry. Electronic devices are widely used in telemetry and can be wireless or hard-wired, analog or digital. Other technologies are also possible, such as mechanical, hydraulic and optical.[1]

See attached photo. Your both right.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm going to try again:

- Mae West
- At the risk of getting lost in translation again: baton-pass
- DC-3
- And dare I say: RW? :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

No one mentioned "blast handle".
I still have one on my garage wall removed from my first rig by a conscientious rigger (F4 pilot call sign Lizard) who "cared" about my safety.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny!
Blast handles are back in fashion and I frequently recommend them to pilot customers who fly ultralight airplanes. Blast handles are part of parachutes manufactured by Ballistic Recovery Systems. Blast handles are usually installed in the cockpit ceiling of ultralights. One pull and you save the entire airplane.

riggerrob

No one mentioned "blast handle".
I still have one on my garage wall removed from my first rig by a conscientious rigger (F4 pilot call sign Lizard) who "cared" about my safety.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny!
Blast handles are back in fashion and I frequently recommend them to pilot customers who fly ultralight airplanes. Blast handles are part of parachutes manufactured by Ballistic Recovery Systems. Blast handles are usually installed in the cockpit ceiling of ultralights. One pull and you save the entire airplane.

2 Things. Lizard Waltzer? (sp?) He's got a great story about punching out of an F-4 after a mid-air collision. Talk about an expensive skydive.

Blast handles? I had one on my first pig-rig. Had to use it once. No problem, just pulled in the proper direction. I'm happy with a D-ring, though.

billbooth

As I remember, the full name for them was "Anti-Wind Blast Handle", and they came off ejection seats where wind blast was a serious problem.

Yes, that's where a LOT of the old stuff came from, isn't it? My first rig, and maybe yours, was a modified B4.

BTW, my first piggy back was on one of your Wonderhogs, belly band, "tapewells", elastic closing loop, etc. Did me a great job. Thanks for all your work making gear better over the years.

JohnMitchell

Lizard Waltzer? (sp?) He's got a great story about punching out of an F-4 after a mid-air collision. Talk about an expensive skydive.

Your spelling is correct. Expensive for the USMC, and painful for him. He called me up the next day to tell me he wouldn't be flying to So. Cal that weekend to jump. He literally couldn't get out of bed. He walked away from the crash just fine, but froze up overnight.

It was supposed to be a shoot for Life Magazine. Some formation flying and a roll-over. Turned into a roll-onto. No footage or photos survived, AFAIK.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Lizard Waltzer? (sp?) He's got a great story about punching out of an F-4 after a mid-air collision. Talk about an expensive skydive.

Your spelling is correct. Expensive for the USMC, and painful for him. He called me up the next day to tell me he wouldn't be flying to So. Cal that weekend to jump. He literally couldn't get out of bed. He walked away from the crash just fine, but froze up overnight.

It was supposed to be a shoot for Life Magazine. Some formation flying and a roll-over. Turned into a roll-onto. No footage or photos survived, AFAIK.

I didn't get the "roll onto" part, so I googled it: http://marciajsargent.com/Wing_Wife_Blog/Entries/2011/3/27_Fighter_Pilot_Rule_1.html
Ouch!:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

oldwomanc6

Yeah, he was the RIO snapping pics but the camera got lost in the ejection. Somewhere out there in the desert is a dented camera with some bitchin' film. :S