Bob_Church

You know you're an older jumper when...

when...you would naturally use the term "RW", but have to stop yourself so as not to confuse the young'uns...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

...when you mention jumping a twin beech and the young'uns start talking about how they'd love to hit the sand barefoot.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

...you yell "hey asshole" on the plane and not a single person yells back "what?".

...you mention a Beach 18 and people think you're talking about spring break for high school seniors.

and....

...half the people you skydive with every weekend are younger than your kids.

Growing old sucks, but I hope I do it for a long, long time.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

One busy day last season at the DZ a young guy got on my load and realized he forget his altimeter so I handed him my backup SSE Altimaster wrist mount. He says "thanks" and attaches it to his wrist and then has a puzzled look on his face and says, "How do you read this type of altimeter?". I chuckle to myself and gave a short course on how to read an analog altimeter. Fast forward to this season I was given a fancy dancy digital wrist mount altimeter as my new backup altimeter (cool beans I have joined the 21st century) but after numerous jumps find it awkward adjusting to reading digital numbers flashing on the screen. Now who is chuckling to themselves. :) I guess if one would ask who jumps a Double "L" today some one bring me a double latte from StarBucks.
www.geronimoskydiving.com

dzswoop717

I'll bet that less than 10% of the people on here know what a Double L is.

It IS what saved My novice ass a half a dozen times....Until I "graduated" to a 28 foot Lopo !!!!:oB|;) for a couple of dozen More jumps...
Then a French PAP...for the next 900 or so !!!! early 70s to late 70s

I know,, I sound Square....;):)

You Know you're an older jumper when you remember lift tickets,,, @ " A buck a thousand " and reserve repacks @ 5 bucks !
AND you have one , maybe 2,,, Pairs of Para Boots in a closet , somewhere.. :)All those things ANd you ran the numbers to find that you have been Skydiving for over 70 % of your entire LIFE!!!:oB|

jmy

So far, I have only jumped a third of my lifetime ...... but I am too stubborn to quit!

You know you are old when somebody brings a second-hand parachute to your loft - similar to what you wore on your first jump - and you pint them towards "that museum in Langley."

When the next oldest jumper on the load is 1/3 your age.

When you mention Lodestar and the other jumper thinks it is some kind of RW formation.

When your kid says "why do you even bother worrying whether some piece of gear will last 25 years?"

When you pull a 42 year old Pope Valley $5 jump ticket out of your wallet and Bill Dause says: "It's still good here old timer."

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

You have a couple of frapps lying around in your gear storage.

Your rig expired, but you bought it new, but you will never sell it, and yes, it is always packed and ready. Just in case. OH, it had a "throw out on the legstrap" with a sh1tload of Velcro. Damn, that 145 eliptical was the smallest state of the art canopy back then. LOL

What front risers? I hook it in......toggle style.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Either senility or dyslexia?????? ..... but I should have said "2/3" of my life-time.

I did my first jump back in 1977, so am now approaching the 40th anniversary of my first jump. Next year will also include my 60th birthday.

Only sat out one year (2014) for knee surgery. The surgery was to straighten a knee damaged in a (jump) plane crash.

When you still have any one of these:

1. Wind drift indicator.
2. MA-1 pilot chute.
3. Cotton canopy sleeve.
4. Altimeter stopwatch belly panel.
5. Balloon suit.

When you know what any one of these is:

1. Cardinal Puff.
2. Capewell.
3. One shot.
4. B12.
5. McElfish.
6. Sentinel.
7. Pucker vent.
8. T-Bow.
9. Navy Conical.

Please add to these lists in your replies.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.