2 2
rohicks

Low turn impact from tandem instructor on the Bachelor show

Recommended Posts

1364029879411494912Thoughts?

1364029879411494912Video from barstool sports. Couldn't find the full clip anywhere else online as it just aired tonight. This shows the end of the turn and the hard landing.

1364029879411494912https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1364029879411494912

Article describing the incident as a sort of play by play thing.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/14132497/bachelor-matt-james-rachael-kirkconnell-tears-skydiving-crash-hometown/

Quote

 

Emergency medical personnel were rushed to the scene after the reality contestant fell too hard for Matt during tonight’s hometown dates but ultimately was okay.

The Bachelor's Rachael was hurt while crashing during a skydiving accident

 

The Bachelor’s Rachael was hurt while crashing during a skydiving accidentCredit: ABC

Rachael Kirkconnell crashed hard in a skydiving accident during hometown dates

 

Rachael Kirkconnell crashed hard in a skydiving accident during hometown dates

Matt James ran to be next to Rachael's side following the scary incident

 

Matt James ran to be next to Rachael’s side following the scary incidentCredit: ABC

Rachael remained motionless on the ground after crashing

 

Rachael remained motionless on the ground after crashingCredit: ABC

Final four Rachael along with 24, Michelle Young, 27, Bri Springs, 24, and Serena Pitt, 22, had their families meet the ABC leading man for hometowns. 

Instead of flying to each city as traditionally done in the past, select family members were flown to the Pennsylvania resort the show is filming at this season due to Covid protocols. 

Before the big meet and greet, Matt and his remaining ladies were taken out for meaningful dates. 

Rachael left her adventurous outing a secret, as she blindfolded her man and drove him to the undisclosed location. 

After arriving at a waiting plane, Matt flashed a huge grin and gushed: “I’m stoked that she would even consider something like this for a date, because I think this is the perfect date.”

Rachael appeared to have no nerves about taking the 12,000 foot plunge

 

Rachael appeared to have no nerves about taking the 12,000 foot plungeCredit: ABC

The couple fell 120 MPH to the ground from 12,000 feet high in the sky

 

The couple fell 120 MPH to the ground from 12,000 feet high in the skyCredit: ABC

Matt admitted to being 'nervous' about going skydiving

 

Matt admitted to being ‘nervous’ about going skydivingCredit: ABC

The couple then flew up to 12,000 feet high in the sky along with their tandem instructors as they free fall down to the Earth at 120 MPH – where their parachute would open at 5,000 feet.

“Matt, if I die, I’m glad I’m dying with you,” she said with a smile before the jump. 

Though Rachael appeared to be fearless, Matt admitted to being “a little nervous.”

They both decided to take the plunge and Rachael held up heart signs with a huge smile as Matt put his thumbs up for the camera. 

Matt successfully landed and seconds later, the brunette beauty was supposed to follow his lead but it appeared her parachute got caught up in some wind right before touch down.

The couple gushed they were 'literally falling for each other' during the drop

 

The couple gushed they were ‘literally falling for each other’ during the dropCredit: ABC

Matt and Rachael flew side-by-side during their skydiving date

 

Matt and Rachael flew side-by-side during their skydiving dateCredit: ABC

Just feet above the ground, Rachael's parachute began spiraling

 

Just feet above the ground, Rachael’s parachute began spiralingCredit: ABC

Rachael is then seen crashing into the grass field as she and her tandem instructor flip over repeatedly on the ground. 

Emergency responders on standby along with Matt and producers run to Rachael’s side as she stayed motionless on the ground. 

A worried Matt asks Rachael if she’s alright, to which she responds her “back is killing her” with a mouthful of grass. 

“Ow, ow, ow,” she said as he helped her up before sitting on the ground to comfort her further. 

Rachael and her instructor flipped multiple times during their crash landing

 

Rachael and her instructor flipped multiple times during their crash landingCredit: ABC

Rachael laid motionless on the ground ad said her 'back was killing her'

 

Rachael laid motionless on the ground ad said her ‘back was killing her’Credit: ABC

Matt, producers and medical help rushed to Rachael's side

 

Matt, producers and medical help rushed to Rachael’s sideCredit: ABC

He then told Rachael: “The last thing I was expecting was to see you spiraling down like that. 

“It’s a different feeling when you’re falling in love and that person’s potentially, like, really hurt. 

“And the thought of losing you set in in that moment. I was like, damn we’re just getting started. I didn’t realize how strongly I felt until something like that happened to you.”

Fortunately, Rachael appeared to be okay and the two went on to meet her parents and sister. 

Though her dad, Darrell, raised some concerns over the quickness of the relationship, saying it’s not “realistic” to expect a proposal so soon, Rachael insisted she was “different.”

Rachael broke down in tears as she talked about the pain of her fall

 

Rachael broke down in tears as she talked about the pain of her fall

 

 

Edited by rohicks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

there is a thread on reddit that said on of his parents is on the uspa board.  dude should have his rating revoked permanently for that.  that's a whole lotta negative press for skydiving.  not to mention pretty stupid, or at least it looked that way, i'm not a ti.

Sure, and his dad probably owns the DZ. That’s why he got the glory assignment he clearly could not handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 2:14 PM, gowlerk said:

Sure, and his dad probably owns the DZ. That’s why he got the glory assignment he clearly could not handle.

yep, and on that thread, it said she was the vice president and that he had his ti rating for about 3 months.  said the producers asked for a scary looking landing or something like that.  they got it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that low-altitude toggle-whipping caused an un stabilized approach. He finished his last turn too low to get a parachute overhead before touch-down.

I see plenty of TIs do low turns to increase (horizontal) speed and provide more lift during the flare .. just before touch-down. I used to work at a DZ where one obnoxious TI consistently spiraled in the pattern (below 1,000 feet) and liked to to do 90 degree turns close in front of me just before landing. This put his landing direction 90 off of what all the other TIs were flying. Guess why I don't jump at the DZ any more????

However, I have never felt the need for more than a 90 degree turn even under an Icarus 330. A simple 90 degree turn makes it easy to judge height and land with a parachute overhead.

 

CAVEAT Lawyers are allowed to quote anything I write on dropzone.com provided they pay me $1,000 per word.

 

Rob Warner rated on Vector, Sigma, Racer and Strong Tandems

Strong Tandem Examiner

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 6:45 AM, rohicks said:

The couple gushed they were ‘literally falling for each other’ during the dropCredit: ABC

Matt and Rachael flew side-by-side during their skydiving date

Something I've noticed just now on a longer video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-52UoP6sLfo).

From Sigma manual (not claiming they use Sigma):
image.png.93c88fa747d157cb3631bece09ff00fe.png

Not a TI, how stupid or irrelevant do you think flying proximity was?
image.png.a71d23fb9945cc71f248e06775b22b32.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Binary93 said:

Not a TI, how stupid or irrelevant do you think flying proximity was?
image.png.a71d23fb9945cc71f248e06775b22b32.png

I noticed this too and wondered the same thing when I saw it. If that was ok to do as a tandem jump. Not remotely qualified as TIs are so I certainly don't know, but I have a feeling it might not be recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a paying USPA member, I believe I deserve to know the outcome of this. If this TI is indeed 20 years old, then I believe his first jump was before the age of 18, so who gave him this waiver? To be a tandem master you must have 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport. Another question is how many tandems does he have, is it enough to wear a camera? What was the USPA’s response to this incident? And a final question, how many tandem jumps are required before you can do a tandem hook turn? I was under the impression that this is an illegal offense that WILL get your rating pulled? Does anyone know the outcome? More details would be greatly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adrenadict said:

As a paying USPA member, I believe I deserve to know the outcome of this. If this TI is indeed 20 years old, then I believe his first jump was before the age of 18, so who gave him this waiver? To be a tandem master you must have 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport. Another question is how many tandems does he have, is it enough to wear a camera? What was the USPA’s response to this incident? And a final question, how many tandem jumps are required before you can do a tandem hook turn? I was under the impression that this is an illegal offense that WILL get your rating pulled? Does anyone know the outcome? More details would be greatly appreciated. 

OK, this is as serious as it gets if it is as bad as we are hearing. Adrenadict, no one will help move the ball forward with a new, anonymous post. Have the gravitas to speak publicly as who you are or please stand aside. I say this to everyone: if we want our leaders to act seriously then we must not act unseriously. Otherwise this will be sent to the USPA Broom and Rug Committee where they already have a corner of the carpet lifted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

OK, this is as serious as it gets if it is as bad as we are hearing. Adrenadict, no one will help move the ball forward with a new, anonymous post. Have the gravitas to speak publicly as who you are or please stand aside. I say this to everyone: if we want our leaders to act seriously then we must not act unseriously. Otherwise this will be sent to the USPA Broom and Rug Committee where they already have a corner of the carpet lifted. 

Hi Joe,

The oldest, standing committee within the organization.

Jerry Baumchen

PCA/USPA member for 50 yrs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

OK, this is as serious as it gets if it is as bad as we are hearing. Adrenadict, no one will help move the ball forward with a new, anonymous post. Have the gravitas to speak publicly as who you are or please stand aside. I say this to everyone: if we want our leaders to act seriously then we must not act unseriously. Otherwise this will be sent to the USPA Broom and Rug Committee where they already have a corner of the carpet lifted. 

ok, i will second the same thoughts adrenadict put forth.  we all deserve to know for whom and why the bsrs are being waived, and if this is the case, action needs to be taken.  this happened a long time ago and i have yet to hear from anyone involved, or even that it happened at all formally.  if this involved the vice president of the uspa, we need to know the details now, not later.  i am all about waiting for an investigation, but it needs to happen.  do i need to file a formal complaint?  if so, how do i do that?

Edited by sfzombie13
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

ok, i will second the same thoughts adrenadict put forth.  we all deserve to know for whom and why the bsrs are being waived, and if this is the case, action needs to be taken.  this happened a long time ago and i have yet to hear from anyone involved, or even that it happened at all formally.  if this involved the vice president of the uspa, we need to know the details now, not later.  i am all about waiting for an investigation, but it needs to happen.  do i need to file a formal complaint?  if so, how do i do that?

I don't disagree with adrendict, I simply think it's weak shit to post anonymously about things like this. As I said, if it's what I'm being told heads should roll. If there are considerations we aren't aware of let's get that clear from authority. Chuck Akers posts here. Let's get some facts. And, no, no, no, we shouldn't need to show up in person at a board meeting to ask. Here is just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't disagree with adrendict, I simply think it's weak shit to post anonymously about things like this. As I said, if it's what I'm being told heads should roll. If there are considerations we aren't aware of let's get that clear from authority. Chuck Akers posts here. Let's get some facts. And, no, no, no, we shouldn't need to show up in person at a board meeting to ask. Here is just fine.

Please give me a real reason as to why my name matters to you? Who I am and what I asked does not change any answer or intensity as to these questions, and as a paying USPA member, you should also be asking these questions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Adrenadict said:

Please give me a real reason as to why my name matters to you? Who I am and what I asked does not change any answer or intensity as to these questions, and as a paying USPA member, you should also be asking these questions. 

The main reason anonymous posts from people with no posting history are given less weight is simply the suspicion that the poster has an agenda they would like to keep hidden. Most likely you know the people involved and they know you. But you want to say things about them without them knowing where is is coming from because....well, because you don't have the guts to be open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adrenadict said:

Please give me a real reason as to why my name matters to you? Who I am and what I asked does not change any answer or intensity as to these questions, and as a paying USPA member, you should also be asking these questions. 

It's as Ken said in reply. Things said under your name simply have a weight that can never come from anonymity. And it is very weak shit. Same as when someone at the DZ tells me: " You really need to know something but it didn't come from me". Well, fucking thanks a lot, do I say I got the news off my Ouija Board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

It's as Ken said in reply. Things said under your name simply have a weight that can never come from anonymity. And it is very weak shit. Same as when someone at the DZ tells me: " You really need to know something but it didn't come from me". Well, fucking thanks a lot, do I say I got the news off my Ouija Board?

My USPA member # is 283426. B-43966, 300 jumps, coach rating, and in the process of getting a C license. I do not know anyone involved in the incident. My agenda is to simply find out if the laws set by the USPA are being followed. So, now that if you genuinely care about what my name is, you can see it. BACK to the original questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Adrenadict said:

My USPA member # is 283426. B-43966, 300 jumps, coach rating, and in the process of getting a C license. I do not know anyone involved in the incident. My agenda is to simply find out if the laws set by the USPA are being followed. So, now that if you genuinely care about what my name is, you can see it. BACK to the original questions. 

You have my respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adrenadict said:

My agenda is to simply find out if the laws set by the USPA are being followed.

As far as we can tell there is no particular reason to believe that rules (not laws) were broken. Poor judgement is not against the rules. Sometimes when people in positions of responsibility make mistakes we want to hold them to a high standard and bring them down. Like for example, a politician leaving his frozen state for a holiday in Mexico during a crisis. It is not against a rule, but it is not the standard we expect. 

Going after answers in this forum is unlikely to bring you any. If those involved are reading this they would be fools to start replying with words that would bring endless continuing questions. I'm Canadian and I don't know what USPA procedures are, but I also find it unlikely that this is something that requires any "investigation". It may require an incident report that would most likely be used for statistical reasons. Probably that has been submitted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

As far as we can tell there is no particular reason to believe that rules (not laws) were broken. Poor judgement is not against the rules. Sometimes when people in positions of responsibility make mistakes we want to hold them to a high standard and bring them down. Like for example, a politician leaving his frozen state for a holiday in Mexico during a crisis. It is not against a rule, but it is not the standard we expect. 

Going after answers in this forum is unlikely to bring you any. If those involved are reading this they would be fools to start replying with words that would bring endless continuing questions. I'm Canadian and I don't know what USPA procedures are, but I also find it unlikely that this is something that requires any "investigation". It may require an incident report that would most likely be used for statistical reasons. Probably that has been submitted.

Ken, with respect, if a USPA official uses their position to make something like this happen that is not simply poor judgement. We deserve better as individual and group members. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adrenadict said:

Please give me a real reason as to why my name matters to you? Who I am and what I asked does not change any answer or intensity as to these questions

It well could.  In the past, DZO's and employees at drop zones have used this forum to smear competitors, hoping to reduce their business.  Not saying you are doing this, just telling you why it's sometimes an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

2 2