1 1
Binary93

Freebag grommets, channels, fabric

Javelins have freebags "pinched" at grommets. Avalons have them separated but have a channel between them which separates the closing loop from the fabric and also limits the distance between the grommets. There are more variants out there I guess.

Vector freebags have separate grommets, nothing separating canopy fabric from the closing loop and require locking pull-up cord to limit the distance between the grommets while packing. Why? I know it's obviously "because the mfg chose to do so" but I would like your opinion on pros and cons of different variants, especially the fabric/closing loop separation or lack of it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Binary93 said:

Javelins have freebags "pinched" at grommets. Avalons have them separated but have a channel between them which separates the closing loop from the fabric and also limits the distance between the grommets. There are more variants out there I guess.

Vector freebags have separate grommets, nothing separating canopy fabric from the closing loop and require locking pull-up cord to limit the distance between the grommets while packing. Why? I know it's obviously "because the mfg chose to do so" but I would like your opinion on pros and cons of different variants, especially the fabric/closing loop separation or lack of it.

Thanks!

Hi 93,

OK, you asked. 

ParaFlite was the first to have a 'channel' from the bottom grommet to the top grommet to seperate the closing loop.  They also had a small piece of plastic pipe in the 'channel' to keep the 'channel' from being squished.

Not long after, I added the 'channel' to my d-bags.  I did not include the piece of plastic pipe as I considered it unnecessary.

I just never liked the Vector method of using another piece of line with that slip knot in it.  Too much extra work IMO.

And, do not get me started on 'rigger friendly' about the Jav's 'pinched' grommets.

I'm admittedly biased, but the 'channel' is the best design for the rigger.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

Agreeing with Gerry Baumchen,

The first freebags had no through loops (e.g. Strong Dual Hawk Tandem) and short closing loops were tied to internal flaps.

Second generation freebags had through loops, but they still rubbed against reserve fabric (e.g. Talon 1 and all Vectors). loop length varies widely depending up the rigger's experience. I have only sewn patches on two reserves, but one of them was in a NARO. The reserve center cell suffered a small tear because a rigger used more muscle than skill in pulling the closing loop through the free bag. Even if I only have to patch one reserve every 1500 repacks, that is too often.

Third generation free bags are pinched in the middle they are easier to with only a single grommet through both layers of the freebag (Javelin, Talon 2). They are easier to pack because they need fewer tools and have a consistent loop length. While working at Para-Phernalia, I managed to convince them to switch Softie free bags from second generation to third generation freebags.

EOS, Atom and Icon are between second and third generation in that they have grommets in both the top and bottom skins of the free bag, but they also have fabric channels preventing the closing loop from ever rubbing against on reserve fabric.

Fourth generation free bags have more secure lines stows to properly stage higher speed openings (Icon, Racer Speed bag). These are mostly found on tandem and military rigs that deploy much heavier and faster than solo rigs. 

If you have read this far, you understand why I clearly prefer third generation free bags.

• Like 5