Dontgetmad4fake

Did you ever forget to turn your aad on?

jumpsalot-2

Sound like the perfect place to put an AAD.

I think the risk of damage is too high, without benefit. I also think the backpad location that some rigs use is more vulnerable to damage than the yoke location.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

***Sound like the perfect place to put an AAD.

I think the risk of damage is too high, without benefit. I also think the backpad location that some rigs use is more vulnerable to damage than the yoke location.

AADs used to always be visible until CYPRES. One of the selling points they originally used was how discreet it was. In other words your cool friends would not know you were using a device that only students used. Unless you told them. Times have changed. The only reason now to put it around back is to force users to look at their reserve pin once in a while. And even that is often thwarted by placing it on the back pad.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Just once …on my first wingsuit jump from 30K.

After landing and laying my rig/suit out on the floor, I noticed I never turned the ADD on. It gave me a sinking feeling; damn disappointed in myself.

Story: Driving from my hotel to the DZ that morning at crazy o’clock (something like 5am), the off-ramp I needed to get there had an overnight road crew still working and was closed. In the end, after rerouting without a map or knowledge of the local area, I arrived to the DZ late and stressed to get ready in time. Fearing I’d miss the jump, I even tried bribing the road crew $100/$200 to just let me drive through, but no joy.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I've deliberately left it off for a couple of jumps from aerobatic aircraft that did a lot of diving and/or inverted stuff before jumping. I've also left it off for a few demos where the elevation difference of the take-off and landing area wasn't known or where it was a hop-n-pop and it wasn't worth the effort to set the offset. But I had over 1500 jumps without an aad so I am not paranoid about jumping without.

jimjumper

I've deliberately left it off for a couple of jumps from aerobatic aircraft that did a lot of diving and/or inverted stuff before jumping. I've also left it off for a few demos where the elevation difference of the take-off and landing area wasn't known or where it was a hop-n-pop and it wasn't worth the effort to set the offset. But I had over 1500 jumps without an aad so I am not paranoid about jumping without.

Sounds like some really good reasons to do so. I've also got a couple of thousand jumps without one, too, so it's not a big deal.

A few years ago, our DZ had a serious injury when a very experienced jumper, on a low hop-n-pop, free feel too long, opened low, had 2 out, and hit in a downplane. The next day, still cloudy, we're doing jumps from 5500'. In the hangar I heard two sub-100-jumps jumpers discussing turning off their AADs because of the previous day's incident.

I took a moment and asked what altitude they planned to open. They said "3500 feet". I convinced them that leaving their AADs on was a good idea. So my rule of thumb is "If you need to turn off your AAD, should you be doing what you're doing?";)

In the case of an aerobatic plane ride, HELL YES! B|B|

During the mid-1990s (shortly after Cypres was introduced) Rigging Innovations built a bunch of Flexons and student Telesis rigs with pockets for Cypres control heads on the front of the shoulders, just below 3-Rings.
This proved to be a bad idea because BOCs became fashionable at the same time and packers developed the bad habit of tipping rigs on their heads while stowing BOCs.
Cypres cables were fragile and too many were forced to return to the factory for repairs.

Nope. I'm religious about my pre gear checks. I check it every jump too. Had a dream about rushing for the plane and forgetting.

My wife who usually always comes to watch me jump will ask if my thingy is on. And she reminds me to turn off before we leave too.

I have forgotten once, that I know of. It was a typical story of being rushed and distracted and not completing a basic gear check.

I don't mind admitting it because we are all human. People that say they will NEVER forget to turn it on are the ones to worry about. It's kind of like the saying that pilots have about flying a retractable gear and landing gear up.

"There are those that have, and those who will"

Simon
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I think not.
Once, I had a friend turn it on in the plane (while still on the ground, the second we entered). It was one of those days where you show up, you know it's weathered out, so you don't bother turning it on first thing in the am as it's my routine, then a hole comes through, gear up and go call, I forgot.

Now I turn it on when I take it out of the trunk, even if the weather looks shit. Not proud of it, of course but hey... shit happens, learned my lesson the easy way.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

I haven't forgotten to turn my on yet (unless I forgot and then failed to even notice, which I doubt ever happened). I make a conscious effort to slow down, actually take a breath, and do a no-hassles check every time before I put my rig on. It only takes 20-30 second, which is not substantial even if I'm in a hurry. And when I am in a hurry, the very fact that I have to change speeds helps me to notice that I'm in a hurry and take a mental note.

The way I think of it: this saves my life with probability epsilon, and saves me needless worrying on the way up with probability 1-epsilon.