damir

GoPro front mounts

Hello peeps! Any of you use a front mount for either a Cookie or a Phantom full face helmet? Pros, cons? I usually just place an adhesive mount on top, however, with me being clumsy things tend to hit my head/GoPro. I have lots of cool videos of my helmet :)

Not to sound like a jerk, but you need to stop hitting your camera on the plane/other folks in freefall. (If you're slapping yoursef in the head in freefall that's a new phenomenon).

the sticky mounts work on a G3 or similar for most jumps.

Some jumps they are not the best (AFFI on reserve side with a D handle on the student's reserve comes to mind or whazzoo ff jumps or AFFI on mainside and eating the student's PC).

Bottom line-have some situational awareness. You have a brick on a stick mounted 4" above where you think the top of your head is. Adjust accordingly.

Other Options:
put pliers or a wrench on that Gopro and set it in place.
Put aftermarket mounts on that recess the Gopro lower/more securely than the standard set up.
Put a ring sight on your helmet and treat your jump like you should-as a camera jump.
put a "paper asshole" on your visor and do the same as above.
Use a Eurotrash chin mount.
Use a camera like the Mohoc. www.mohoc.com (It's my go to for AFF).
Take the camera off until you either: 1) get comfortable bashing it in the plane, 2) decide it's worth losing or 3) start treating a camera jump like a camera jump. Not a $25 opportunity to shoot selfie cam with your millennial tunnel rat pals.

In all sincerity I'm not trying to be a prick. The camera thing has just been out of control since small format systems came on the market. I lost the lens off my tape system (camera that didn't record to an SD card in HD) not so long ago when it got kicked after exit by a tube I was videoing. I wrote it off as a learning experience and JB welded a new WA lens on the camera body which was busted as hell. I think that camera did 400 jumps before It totally died. By the end it was held together with gaffers, epoxy and hope.

If you think any part of your gear/rig stuff you take into freefall isn't expendable, repairable at best-go bowling.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

damir

Hello peeps! Any of you use a front mount for either a Cookie or a Phantom full face helmet? Pros, cons? I usually just place an adhesive mount on top, however, with me being clumsy things tend to hit my head/GoPro. I have lots of cool videos of my helmet :)

I've used one for many hundreds of jumps. They're awesome. Wouldn't use any other kind of mount at this point.

They hold on pretty well. On one zoo jump the camera inadvertently got punched, rotated 180 degrees and I got footage of my stomach for the rest of the jump. It's held on by rubber bands which actually makes it harder to rip it off in my opinion - they stretch and then go back into place.

That having been said they cut away pretty well too. Change the rubber bands every week and you'll get lots of practice.

Pros:

- Cutaway system
- Held on by rubber bands
- Location less likely to snag
- Allow you to raise your visor all the way up under canopy
- Can see blinking light on top of gopro by looking down (don't have to ask guy next to you in plane "is it blinking?" - concentrate more on the jump and less on the GoPro)

Cons:

- Cost more than square of adhesive that comes with your GoPro

Pro: closer to your mouth so people can hear your commentary under canopy. I got plenty of laughs last week when we got sudden snow flurries on a H&P load and I got to fly in the snow and you could hear every giggle and "oh my god it's snowing you guys, why did you pull so low, you're missing it!"
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

keithbar

Grellfab chin mount.

Some cons to the Grellfab:

-video is a little shaky (noticable but not terrible)

-taking the mount on and off (i.e. for tunnel flying) will eventually warp your helmet and you'll notice a little gap between the visor and the helmet, not unsafe but definitely annoying

Its still a good option but its not the world's greatest answer for gopro's. Also feel free to ignore the haters earlier in the thread. They had some teenagers walk on their lawns...

GoHuskers

-video is a little shaky (noticable but not terrible)

I think that's an issue with higher speeds. I don't really notice it in WS, belly or tracking.

-taking the mount on and off (i.e. for tunnel flying) will eventually warp your helmet and you'll notice a little gap between the visor and the helmet, not unsafe but definitely annoying

I have that gap but have had it since before I had a Grellfab mount... I think it just naturally develops in G3 helmets over time?

Its still a good option but its not the world's greatest answer for gopro's.

I think it's the best that's on the market. But mileage may vary.