Sabrekakkonen

Base jump with skydive gear

Maybe this post should be in base jump discussions, but i believe I will get better answers here.
So, my dream is basejump some day but its is so high risk that i probably wont do it.
I get a idea. How about jumping from Bjur Khalifa ~820meters/ 2500 feet with skydive rig, then i had reserve and aad, which decrease risks signifcantly. Main canopy could be base canopy or on heading opening studentcanopy(Pd navigator). Reseve with skyhook, so you can even cutaway in time.

820m to 550m tracking, 550m to 400m canopy opening, 400m to 150m time to cutaway if needed.

How easy it is get permission to jump on the top of Bjur khalifa, anyone know?
Thougts about that?
Do not discourage please.

Sabrekakkonen

Maybe this post should be in base jump discussions, but i believe I will get better answers here.
So, my dream is basejump some day but its is so high risk that i probably wont do it.
I get a idea. How about jumping from Bjur Khalifa ~820meters/ 2500 feet with skydive rig, then i had reserve and aad, which decrease risks signifcantly. Main canopy could be base canopy or on heading opening studentcanopy(Pd navigator). Reseve with skyhook, so you can even cutaway in time.

820m to 550m tracking, 550m to 400m canopy opening, 400m to 150m time to cutaway if needed.

Thougts about that?

How's your sub terminal tracking?

Make sure you do a gainer.

Back during the 1970s and 1980s, pioneering BASE jumpers jumped skydiving gear because that was the only gear available.
Back in 1986, I did my first bridge jump with a skydiving harness and a fashionable skydiving canopy, a 7-cell, 220 square foot Cruiselite. While I still wore a reserve, I had no illusions that it could save me from a 600 (200 metres) foot tall bridge.

Main Assisted Reserve Deployment devices (e.g. Skyhook) were invented by BASE jumper Mark Hewitt. A MARD will only save you if you jump from the tallest objects and only if you pull high.
Similarly, AADs (e.g. Cypres) will only save you if you opening well above their firing altitude (750 to 1000 feet).

Since then, several generations of specialized BASE gear have gradually reduced risks. BASE canopies evolved from popular skydiving canopies, which were similar to modern skydiving reserves. BASE manufacturers experimented with various pilot-chutes and sliders to speed openings. Then they experimented with various aspect ratios and airfoil sections to improve the chances on on-heading openings. Then they added bottom skin vents and valves and different brake settings to speed openings. Tail pockets and multiple bridles also improved on-heading openings.

Since then I have gained a few pounds and accumulated scar tissue, so would prefer a 300 square foot BASE canopy. Since that canopy is considerably larger than modern skydiving canopies, I would need to borrow a student rig.

In conclusion, skydiving gear might be okay for jumping the tallest of buildings, but you can learn a lot from well-seasoned BASE jumpers.

Sabrekakkonen

Thougts about that?

How easy: Depends how friendly you are with the royal family?

Thoughts: It is a stupid idea. Go read up more about BASE, the majority of the risk is not in the single canopy system so you reserve and AAD are not going to make this "stunt" any safer for you.

I hear Denmark likes trolls though so see if they have any tall buildings #nodiscouragingbro:S

Not discouraging, but alas, you're wrong on ALL levels.

You are better off base jumping with base-jumping specific gear. There is a reason why base jumping started with skydiving gear and evolved into its own set of gear.

To answer your question directly, very hard. Unless you're already a well known athlete that will bring them money and publicity, I'd dare to say "extremely hard".
If you think it's a spot you'd go with 0 base jumps to "experience base jumping for the first time". Well, then pretty damn near zero.
And I'm being optimistic.

Beside, if risk is your deciding factor, you're still much much better off jumping from a "beginner's" bridge with proper gear, than from an advanced object in a city with improper gear.
After that, plenty of walls that are ~2500ft to base from.

But the only idea that can make base jumping safe (and skydiving, to an extent) is watching it on youtube.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Brilliant idea, can't believe nobody thought of it before.

Sabrekakkonen

Heck, we do it all the time.
Just walk up to one of the security guards and tell them you want the elevator to the top floor, because you're a fucking skydiver!
Some of them are a little hesitant, even when you walk in with a skydiving rig and cool jumpsuit. So DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. Tell him if he doesn't, he must be some kind of cock sucker. Mouth off about killing their stupid royal family, if they let those cool towers be built yet not let you jump them. Be a man and put those people in their places! They LOVE that take-charge shit over there.

Remember to tighten your googles before the jump. Sometimes there's sand in the air there. You want to be safe, right?

I'm impressed with your creative idea of deploying a student canopy at 550m (~1200 ft) AND using an AAD for safety. Whatever dropzone you jump at, your out-of-the-box thinking will make an impression on many. People won't forget you like some newbie are!

As another suggestion, hang gliding naked off Everest is pretty cool too, especially if you're high on weed. But I admit I stole that idea from a movie.

[Aside to other skydivers: Maybe then he'll be off the internet for some years.]

Have you ever made a skydive ? You have no profile info. You should contact a school on BASE like "APEX BASE". That is how to learn. Come to the USA if you need to. BASE requires 200 skydive "LANDINGS" before it will be taught by a school. Don't kill yourself. B|

Life is short ... jump often.

jumpsalot-2

Have you ever made a skydive ? You have no profile info. You should contact a school on BASE like "APEX BASE". That is how to learn. Come to the USA if you need to. BASE requires 200 skydive "LANDINGS" before it will be taught by a school. Don't kill yourself. B|

I have only 82 jumps. I started skydiving this spring.
Maybe my idea is stupid, but that fortunately it isnt your problem :)
Do not take seriously ;)

Di0

Not discouraging, but alas, you're wrong on ALL levels.

You are better off base jumping with base-jumping specific gear. There is a reason why base jumping started with skydiving gear and evolved into its own set of gear.

To answer your question directly, very hard. Unless you're already a well known athlete that will bring them money and publicity, I'd dare to say "extremely hard".
If you think it's a spot you'd go with 0 base jumps to "experience base jumping for the first time". Well, then pretty damn near zero.
And I'm being optimistic.

Beside, if risk is your deciding factor, you're still much much better off jumping from a "beginner's" bridge with proper gear, than from an advanced object in a city with improper gear.
After that, plenty of walls that are ~2500ft to base from.

But the only idea that can make base jumping safe (and skydiving, to an extent) is watching it on youtube.

Good answer.

Now ask the same question here:
http://www.basejumper.com/

If you still don't like the answers go to:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=base+accidents

Sometimes you don't know what you don't know:
http://static.squarespace.com/static/510d75a3e4b072208fa0710b/t/52f8164ae4b07ae93f1ad94d/1391990346306/Canopy%20Drills.pdf

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/1103046/brit-tells-of-year-inside-hellish-dubai-jail-lags-ripped-man-apart-like-wolves/

You can kill yourself out of a AC too without traveling to exotic locations.

Sabrekakkonen

Thougts about that?

Make sure your GoPro is on.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

jumpsalot-2

Pffft....I wouldn't worry about landing, as soon as you leave the ground you will land! One way or another, I wouldn't worry about landings....
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Ok, I'll bite.

Why do you want to BASE jump?

What is it that attracts you as opposed to just jumping out of a plane?

What risks do you think you are avoiding doing it off of a really tall building with skydiving gear?

Since it's outside the US, getting permission is actual possible, although difficult.
But Dubai is strict enough that I doubt that it would happen. And for an 82 jump wonder with no BASE experience, I'd put the chances of getting permission at zero. They are going to look at you and decide they don't want to have to clean up the mess.

But there are always ways to sneak in, pick locks, get on the roof and jump.
But, again, Dubai is pretty strict. Consequences if you get caught, which is pretty likely given your level of experience, would be severe.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You got off pretty easy with all the above replies!

I understand where you're coming from. You're new to the sport and thinking of all the possibilities you didn't even know existed when you made your first jump.

Ask questions, keep thinking creatively and talk to the other jumpers at your DZ over lots of beers!

Oh, and make a lot more skydives. ;)

Slimrn

Don't forget your leg straps.

Well, that's important and all but have you ever been in the middle of a jump and realized "Oh shit, I forgot to turn on my camera"? That is worse than the holocaust!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***Don't forget your leg straps.

Well, that's important and all but have you ever been in the middle of a jump and realized "Oh shit, I forgot to turn on my camera"? That is worse than the holocaust!

You land, you did a sick 4-way, you ask "you have the video, right?!" and they disappoint you like that.
I mean those people are, literally, worse than Hitler.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

>You land, you did a sick 4-way, you ask "you have the video, right?!" and they
>disappoint you like that.
>I mean those people are, literally, worse than Hitler.

That's why everyone doing 4-way should have at LEAST one Go-Pro or equivalent.

Angel Falls man .there's plenty altitude off that cliff to use skydiving gear you pay for the expedition and I will mentor you. even though I have zero base jumps ;)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

>I jumped Auburn Ravine in 1985 with my Bullet container, a 240 sq ft Delta Cloud and a pilot chute in my hand.

I made my first BASE jump with a Swift container (they actually once made containers) and a Pursuit 215 with a sewn-on tailpocket, a mesh slider and a 42" pilot chute. Had a reserve also that was just along for the ride.