1 1
brenthutch

How many people would have died

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yet former governor (and energy secretary) Rick Perry declared that Texas must remain free from any federal oversight or regulation of it's power supply. He also blamed wind power for the situation right now. Which is a blatant lie. 

Perry's got a point about keeping the Feds out...have you seen the type of dipshits they let run the Department of Energy?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, lippy said:

Perry's got a point about keeping the Feds out...have you seen the type of dipshits they let run the Department of Energy?

Hi lippy,

Easy now, fella.  I worked within DOE from its creation until Fall 1999.

Good job, paid well, and the retirement is rather nice also.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

According to The Electric Reliability Council of Texas,  "About 56 percent of Texas' energy comes from natural gas, just under 24 percent comes from wind, 19 percent from coal, and almost 9 percent from nuclear energy.."

Never quote Brent w/o fact checking because he lives at FOX and aspires to be adopted by Rupert Murdoch.

I said wind accounts for about a quarter electric energy and the rest from traditional sources.  EXACTLY TRUE!

The lack of electricity production from natural gas was partially because home heating took precedence over power production. 

This is the same issue as the Houston flooding. The desire to have no to minimum regulation and have costs as low as possible. Great when everything works well, but also means no money is being spent on dealing with potential problems outside of immediate control.

Then when it happens, they rely on government funding to bail them out. They are identical to the welfare people they despise. Unwilling to work towards getting better, unwilling to contribute, but rely on the government when it matters. The ultimate takers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

This is the same issue as the Houston flooding. The desire to have no to minimum regulation and have costs as low as possible. Great when everything works well, but also means no money is being spent on dealing with potential problems outside of immediate control.

Then when it happens, they rely on government funding to bail them out. They are identical to the welfare people they despise. Unwilling to work towards getting better, unwilling to contribute, but rely on the government when it matters. The ultimate takers.

BINGO. FEMA has three core missions, 1)  Individual Assistance, 2)  Public Assistance, and 3) Hazard Mitigation Assistance - wait for it - this funding is for measures designed to reduce future losses to public and private property. Like I said, a lot of DEM's aren't held accountable or have any oversight for continuous improvement to their mitigation plans. There are only two states that work daily on hazard mitigation scenarios, Florida and Mississippi. The irony is the federal funding is there to minimize future events. But, they don't do it.    

ETA: Because they don't; each disaster winds up costing more than it should. To steal from Ben Franklin - A million dollars of prevention is worth ten million of cure. 

Edited by BIGUN

Jesse Jenkins, an assistant professor of energy systems engineering at Princeton University, argued in a New York Times op-ed on Wednesday that electricity systems need to be ready for future risks. “Preparing for extreme events is like buying [a] home or health insurance: it costs you every year and you hope you’ll never use it. But when a crisis strikes, paying the premiums can look like the perfect decision in hindsight.”

After this crisis comes to an end, “Texans will have to determine just how much insurance is worth taking out,” he added.

https://www.vox.com/2021/2/19/22290512/texas-winter-storm-wind-energy-power-outage-grid-fox-news

13 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi lippy,

Easy now, fella.  I worked within DOE from its creation until Fall 1999.

Good job, paid well, and the retirement is rather nice also.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

Just to clarify, I only meant that as a crack at Perry and not a comment on the organization as a whole.

On the Cruz thing, Trevor Noah said something along the lines of: When times are dark, and you only see one set of footprints in the sand....they're Ted Cruz's, 'cause he's in Cancun

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

After this crisis comes to an end, “Texans will have to determine just how much insurance is worth taking out,” he added.

If preparing for cold works then when it comes it is a non event. And people don't understand why they paid all that money getting ready, after all , nothing happened! With insurance you get a payout so after the suffering at least you have some cash.

17 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

If preparing for cold works then when it comes it is a non event. And people don't understand why they paid all that money getting ready, after all , nothing happened! With insurance you get a payout so after the suffering at least you have some cash.

Yep. When Houston had hurricanes forecast, people would hope their roof was damaged enough to be replaced by the insurance company. Rather than replacing them when it was needed, they’d take a chance on enough damage to wreck the interior. 
That’s kind of like hurting yourself landing because you don’t want to get dirt on your rig or jumpsuit. 
Wendy P. 

37 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

That’s kind of like hurting yourself landing because you don’t want to get dirt on your rig or jumpsuit. 
Wendy P. 

I once rolled over onto my back while sliding across the tarmac due to an unintended downwind landing. Wrecked my container and my jumpsuit but saved quite a bit of skin. Would do it again if I had to!

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Yep.  Reminds me of the Y2K problem.  "All that money - WASTED!  Nothing happened."

6 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Reminds me of the Y2K problem.  "All that money - WASTED!  Nothing happened."

Might be, or it might be something else. You might be surprised, perhaps not you, to know how many jump aircraft are under insured or have liability only simply because they can. Give someone a chance to play the odds and damn if many won't take it. And they'll do it again after a loss believing, I guess, that the reset odds are now in their favor. Weird.

17 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Might be, or it might be something else. You might be surprised, perhaps not you, to know how many jump aircraft are under insured or have liability only simply because they can. Give someone a chance to play the odds and damn if many won't take it. And they'll do it again after a loss believing, I guess, that the reset odds are now in their favor. Weird.

Hull insurance for aircraft? Pretty pricey and the cost of the loss is fixed at a maximum of the value of the aircraft. That kind of insurance is for people who can't afford the loss. Someone with money would never waste it like that. It's called self insuring and it means not paying an insurance company their profit. Insurance is gambling.

22 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Hull insurance for aircraft? Pretty pricey and the cost of the loss is fixed at a maximum of the value of the aircraft. That kind of insurance is for people who can't afford the loss. Someone with money would never waste it like that. It's called self insuring and it means not paying an insurance company their profit. Insurance is gambling.

Just depends on your appetite for gambling. Me, I try to avoid $1.5M losses on Otters and Super Caravans. I know an operator who gave up $2M on three crashes and never learned. I have a wonderful 182 I built up for jumping. 1979, wet wings, 325HP with all of with mods, glass instruments etc. etc. It's a $180K airplane but at that end of the scale insurance is $5K plus liability ($2500) just for being a back up. Makes no sense and I'm an idiot for doing it. But 2% + $3500 liability on a $1.5M aircraft makes sense all day long.

31 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Just depends on your appetite for gambling. Me, I try to avoid $1.5M losses on Otters and Super Caravans. I know an operator who gave up $2M on three crashes and never learned. I have a wonderful 182 I built up for jumping. 1979, wet wings, 325HP with all of with mods, glass instruments etc. etc. It's a $180K airplane but at that end of the scale insurance is $5K plus liability ($2500) just for being a back up. Makes no sense and I'm an idiot for doing it. But 2% + $3500 liability on a $1.5M aircraft makes sense all day long.

2%? That is about a third of the rate I have to pay for hull insurance on our 182s. At this point we are paying it. But considering self insurance.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:15 AM, BIGUN said:

The real issue is why didn't Texas after the 2011 ice storm pick up the phone and call Canada that has wind turbines operating at -30F that don't freeze and ask, "Hey, how you Canadians doing that?" 

If Texas modeled its grid off of Canada’s it would fry in the summer 

“facilities are often built without walls in southern climates to maximize efficiency and prevent units from overheating in the hotter summer months, but leaving plants more vulnerable to cold weather.”