2 2
Phil1111

Republicans in Texas

27 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

He's a man of honor who would carry the entire load if he could. As someone who would never turn his back on a solemn responsibility he, quite naturally, feels that he should have a legitimate right to a say. If the woman wanted the baby and he didn't I suspect strongly that he'd just man up and own the responsibility.

Thank you, Joe. 

(edited)

I don't think he was speaking of you, I wasn't in my reply. But I would definitely extend the same belief to you. For the record I'm pretty sure Billvon's post was being referenced. The one that said:

"I agree - the decision should come from both people.  But when they disagree, the person actually carrying the fetus gets final say."

Edited by gowlerk

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

"...until the medical profession defines that point at which life begins." That was your position a couple of years and I found it a good starting point at that time and have stuck with it.

I can't imagine Bill ever saying that and meaning it in the way you're using it. And even then, what on earth makes you think anything the medical profession says makes any difference to the arguments made by those who want to limit access to abortions? 

And, in that same conversation, my position was and still is - unless the mother is a victim of crime or medical condition; then it should be the responsibility of both parents to make the decision.   But, we've been here before, I'm not going to change my mind, nor do I expect you to change yours.

Oh sure, but if the votes are split you're going to need a tiebreaker, and I'm pretty sure everyone would agree it should be the woman.

39 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I don't think he was speaking of you, I wasn't in my reply. But I would definitely extend the same belief to you. For the record I'm pretty sure Billvon's post was being referenced. The one that said:

"I agree - the decision should come from both people.  But when they disagree, the person actually carrying the fetus gets final say."

Ken,

I was most specifically thinking of Keith. Everything he has posted here, to my eye, reads decency and honor. 

(edited)
34 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Ken,

I was most specifically thinking of Keith. Everything he has posted here, to my eye, reads decency and honor. 

I was confused then. But I don't disagree. The chain of responses leads back to Billvon who also possesses those characteristics. The quote system here is sometimes weak.

Edited by gowlerk

11 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I was confused then. But I don't disagree. The chain of responses leads back to Billvon who also possesses those characteristics. The quote system here is sometimes weak.

Not enough connections? Agreed on Bill. I just refuse to suck up to a mod.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't think it would be weakness and I'm out of pride. Are there more choices?

Stubbornness I suppose. Giving credit where credit is due is not sucking up. Perhaps you are seeing an "authority figure" and are still in a state of adolescent rebellion. Like some kind of skydiver or something!

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Stubbornness I suppose. Giving credit where credit is due is not sucking up. Perhaps you are seeing an "authority figure" and are still in a state of adolescent rebellion. Like some kind of skydiver or something!

I'll take stubbornness for $2000, Ken.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:47 PM, JoeWeber said:

Not enough connections? Agreed on Bill. I just refuse to suck up to a mod.

Clearly you'd never be a politician. Sucking is their raison d'être.  i.e.

Texas Says It Will Build Border Wall With Mexico “Texas will not sit idly by as this crisis grows,” Gov. Greg Abbott said of border crossings, while offering few details about the wall.

he said. “Some of these border barriers will be built immediately.”

Then the governor revealed, to thundering applause, that Texas would also build a border wall.

“While securing the border is the federal government’s responsibility, Texas will not sit idly by as this crisis grows,” Mr. Abbott said, adding, “Our efforts will only be effective if we work together to secure the border, make criminal arrests, protect landowners, rid our communities of dangerous drugs and provide Texans with the support they need and deserve.”

Then he stopped for a break to wipe his brown nose.

Well, Texas is Republican (duh). 

It's a good thing that they 'don't believe' in global warming. If it was getting hotter, they'd need more power to run the A/C.

Oh...
Wait...

From the article:

“[Electricity demand] is really driven by temperatures, and right now it is 99 degrees in Dallas, 97 degrees in Austin and 97 degrees in Houston,” 

And it's only June.

7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

In Texas, it will probably mean brownouts.

Jerry Baumchen

Indeed...it's gonna get so hot I'll shit myself!  Was pushing 100 in Ft. Worth today, pretty toasty for mid-June.

40 minutes ago, lippy said:

Indeed...it's gonna get so hot I'll shit myself!  Was pushing 100 in Ft. Worth today, pretty toasty for mid-June.

101F in Denver today, and this crap is going to continue until Friday.

My 23yo a/c runs continuously when it is > 95F. :-(

On 6/15/2021 at 7:42 PM, ryoder said:

101F in Denver today, and this crap is going to continue until Friday.

My 23yo a/c runs continuously when it is > 95F. :-(

"Journalists at the Dutch publication The Correspondent tracked down an educational video Shell released in 1991 called “Climate of Concern,” which warned, “Global warming is not yet certain, but many think that to wait for final proof would be irresponsible. Action now is seen as the only safe insurance.” There’s good evidence Exxon knew a decade earlier" Above from

Shell Is Looking Forward The fossil-fuel companies expect to profit from climate change. I went to a private planning meeting and took notes.

So changing the subject slightly but remaining on topic:

Sen. Cornyn (R, TX) said yesterday after the Supremes upheld the ACA for the 3rd time, that it is time for Republicans to move on.

Destroying democracy seems to be the GOP's latest obsession.