2 2
Phil1111

Republicans in Texas

Texas republicans, they are a different breed.

"Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) says he has “no defense” after his old tweet mocking California power outages have resurfaced as millions of people in the Lone Star state have lost power in their homes due to large winter storms. " Now his is caught traveling to Mexico with his kids during a pandemic and a "state of disaster" in Texas. "Just as the Houston Police Department was responding to winter storm-related deaths and pleading for residents to stay home on Wednesday, Sen. Ted Cruz’s staff asked them to help Cruz get to his super important flight to Cancun. “Senator Cruz’s staff contacted HPD personnel on Wednesday afternoon, Feb 17. His staff requested assistance upon the Senator’s arrival at the airport. Upon his arrival at the terminal, we monitored his movement,” the department said in a statement to The Daily Beast. A spokesperson wouldn’t say how many officers were called in to help Cruz, or how long they stayed with him, but said they were “just around.”

Then we have the governor "During an interview with Sean Hannity Tuesday, Abbott decried the proposed Green New Deal and said frozen wind turbines and loss of solar power thrust Texas into the blackout situation. 

“This shows how the Green New Deal would be a deadly deal for the United States of America. Texas is blessed with multiple sources of energy such as natural gas and nuclear as well as solar and wind,” Abbott said Tuesday. 

“Our wind and solar got shut down and they were collectively more than 10 percent of our power grid. And that thrust Texas into a situation where it was lacking power on a statewide basis,” he added."

A Texas mayor resigned after telling people it was their own fault if they froze when power went out in the deadly winter storms

Who can forget "Rick Perry: 'Texans would be without electricity for longer' to 'keep the federal government out'

If we wouldn't have let you greenie weenie libs mandate the transition to certain levels of alternative energy then we wouldn't be having these issues. Windmills don't turn when they're frozen, solar panels don't produce when they're covered in snow and batteries will only last so long. 

49 minutes ago, nomasoyo said:

If we wouldn't have let you greenie weenie libs mandate the transition to certain levels of alternative energy then we wouldn't be having these issues. Windmills don't turn when they're frozen . . .

26 gigawatts of gas generation are offline due to temperatures.  2 gigawatts of wind are offline due to icing.

Where's the problem, again?

. . .solar panels don't produce when they're covered in snow and batteries will only last so long. 

I get all my power from solar - and have a battery bank.  And I charge two EV's with the excess power.  And still at the end of the year I generate more than I use.

It's not hard.

27 minutes ago, billvon said:

26 gigawatts of gas generation are offline due to temperatures.  2 gigawatts of wind are offline due to icing.

Where's the problem, again?

I get all my power from solar - and have a battery bank.  And I charge two EV's with the excess power.  And still at the end of the year I generate more than I use.

It's not hard.

Well, you DO live in San Diego... That said, I think it's perfect. We had to sign with a solar provider, because our roof is not good for solar (orientation and a crazed architect who put in hipped dormers galore)

Wendy P.

9 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Ask yourself why wind turbines in North Dakota and other northern states don't freeze in the winter...

ANSWER: Because they can be built NOT to freeze up in sub-zero temperatures, and that's what they do up there. Bill Gates pointed this out to people yesterday. 

Ask yourself why Texas was caught unprepared for an unusual weather event...

ANSWER: Because many Texans believe climate change is not real, even though the signs have been there for years. Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Katrina, are good examples. 

Ask yourself why many Texas lawmakers are against the Green New Deal...

ANSWER:  Because they are not only in bed with, but married to the fossil fuel companies. 

Ask yourself why Texans were generally unprepared for a major power outage that could last for two weeks or more...

ANSWER: Because many of them believe the real threat are zombies, and for that you need guns much more than food, water, emergency supplies or generators. They also don't believe in Federal regulation of the power grid, and many politicians and businessmen who have a hand in that grid also make more money when that grid is not regulated to proper FEDERAL standards. If they don't have to spend money to conform to standards, this boosts their bottom line profits. Only now those profits come at the expense of Texas citizens, who sit there and suffer. 

Here in Washington state, if such a heavy snow event were to happen, the power might go out like anywhere else. We also get windstorms. Sometimes they are very bad. But we are also much more prepared than Texas, not only family-prepared, but government prepared. And the grid is well-regulated here. Power outages, even in major windstorms, usually are a matter of a very few days at most. In fact, even when tens of thousands of trees come down and hit the power lines in these storms, the majority of power customers are restored in less than a day or two. Folks out in the country take a little bit longer, but not MUCH longer. 

The lesson for Texas is: You are not immune to the problems caused by climate change, and climate change exists. The evidence is overwhelming. Spend more time listening to the scientists and the smart people, and less to the people who sell you all those guns. Guns are fine by me...but neither can you eat or drink them. And they will not heat your home. I have a few guns, sure. But they're not the first thing I go to in a natural disaster, and I don't think of them as my sole tool for survival in a natural disaster. Food, water, medical supplies, emergency power sources are the things that top my list for that. 

Welcome to the Reality Hotel. We checked in years ago. So should you. Vote out those bums who put you in the situation you are in now, and bring on some people...GOOD, SOLID, Texas folk...who will give you the facts straight, not bullshit you constantly while lining their own pockets or running off to Mexico. Other Americans, whether they be Dem or GOP, are NOT your sworn enemies. They are fellow Americans. Start working together with them for the common good. 

More Federal regulation, really? That's your answer? Name me one organization, besides the military, that the feds run efficiently once given the power? That is mostly what is ruining our educational system, among others. On one hand you say to vote out the political idiots (which I agree) then on the other you say to give them more power....what? What about the 1900 Galveston hurricane that was one of the deadliest storms in our history? Was global warming...oops, I mean "climate change", you notice they changed this to fit the narrative years ago, that way they can explain away freezing events as well. I guess CC was a big deal in 1900 too?

I would give these arguments more clout if the ones spewing them weren't telling us the world was going to be under water in 15 years (Al Gore in the early 90's) while flying around in their private jets and living in ridiculous mansions. 

For every scientist saying this is real you have another saying it isn't, who do you believe? It sure seems to be a political football used to extract more taxes from us in the form of carbon credits with no real way to prove advancements (political brilliance)

7 minutes ago, nomasoyo said:

I would give these arguments more clout if the ones spewing them weren't telling us the world was going to be under water in 15 years (Al Gore in the early 90's) while flying around in their private jets and living in ridiculous mansions. 

For every scientist saying this is real you have another saying it isn't, who do you believe? It sure seems to be a political football used to extract more taxes from us in the form of carbon credits with no real way to prove advancements (political brilliance)

my turn. 

no you wouldn't because that's not your purpose.  trying to stir things up is what you're purpose is, and you found a gold mine here.  you'll get argued with for years and not one time will you ever have a chance at doing anything except amusing us.

no, you don't.  you literally have like 1 scientist denying it for every 99 who don't, and looking at their paychecks explains it.  who signs yours, comrade?

1 hour ago, nomasoyo said:

More Federal regulation, really? That's your answer? Name me one organization, besides the military, that the feds run efficiently once given the power?

The FAA.  The federal highway system.  The NTSB.  Social Security.  DARPA.  The NSF.  The DOE.  There's seven for you.

Was global warming...oops, I mean "climate change", you notice they changed this to fit the narrative years ago

No, they didn't.  The term scientists use is AGW.  Google it.

that way they can explain away freezing events as well. I guess CC was a big deal in 1900 too?

You don't understand AGW do you.

I would give these arguments more clout if the ones spewing them weren't telling us the world was going to be under water in 15 years (Al Gore in the early 90's)

He didn't say that.

For every scientist saying this is real you have another saying it isn't

No there isn't.

So far I count three lies in your post, all told to further your right wing political agenda.  Emulating your hero?

1 hour ago, billvon said:

The FAA.  The federal highway system.  The NTSB.  Social Security.  DARPA.  The NSF.  The DOE.  There's seven for you.

No, they didn't.  The term scientists use is AGW.  Google it.

You don't understand AGW do you.

He didn't say that.

No there isn't.

So far I count three lies in your post, all told to further your right wing political agenda.  Emulating your hero?

Now I know your oblivious, thanks for confirming. Social security was the real icing on the cake.

You should provide facts instead of your opinions when making ridiculous claims, but then again, you are most-likely a lib to whom facts are holy water.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/01/al-gore-doomsday-clock-expires-climate-change-fanatics-wrong-again/

6 minutes ago, nomasoyo said:

You should provide facts instead of your opinions when making ridiculous claims

I do.  

But I will give you an opportunity to prove me wrong.  Post Al Gore saying that "the world was going to be under water in 15 years."  Should be easy, right?  You are all about facts, right?  Just point me towards the speech where he said that.

In fact I will even bet you $200 that you can't do that, that you will end up saying something like "well, he said sea levels will rise, and a low lying city might be underwater soon, and isn't that sorta the same thing?"  Want to put your money where your mouth is?  Should be easy money for you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

I do.  

But I will give you an opportunity to prove me wrong.  Post Al Gore saying that "the world was going to be under water in 15 years."  Should be easy, right?  You are all about facts, right?  Just point me towards the speech where he said that.

In fact I will even bet you $200 that you can't do that, that you will end up saying something like "well, he said sea levels will rise, and a low lying city might be underwater soon, and isn't that sorta the same thing?"  Want to put your money where your mouth is?  Should be easy money for you.

I just did!

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

I do.  

Where's any of your proof?

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The weasel factor is squared in this one.

They're pretty cartoonish, aren't they?

Obviously they're not having the same power issues as the other people in the Houston area; probably on the right side of the mountains ;)

Wendy P.