swcoloradoguy

Skydiving at Airports With Commercial Airline Operations

swcoloradoguy

I'm Trying to Start a Skydiving operation and the Airport we would like to operate out of services some regional airlines. Has anyone Jumped at an airport with similar operations? If so where?

Fort Dodge, IA, has regional service and hosts a big boogie every year.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***I'm Trying to Start a Skydiving operation and the Airport we would like to operate out of services some regional airlines. Has anyone Jumped at an airport with similar operations? If so where?

Fort Dodge, IA, has regional service and hosts a big boogie every year.

Couch Freaks?

Generally speaking, you don't normally see airports with BOTH commercial airline service AND a drop zone. Not only do you have obstruction from airport authority to setting up drop zones on their property, but also restrictions to air space over and around such airports.

I think you underestimate how much of a hassle it is to try and get one started on such an airport.

swcoloradoguy

I'm Trying to Start a Skydiving operation and the Airport we would like to operate out of services some regional airlines. Has anyone Jumped at an airport with similar operations? If so where?

There are many different obstacles to overcome when starting a drop zone at any airport.

Have you spoken to the airport management?

You won't get much here in the way of good advice. I suggest if you are serious and a USPA member, you use their resources.

Skydive Ogden operates out of a towered airport that is served by Allegiant. If you land too far west manifest has to get a clearance for you to walk across an active taxiway and then give you a green light to walk back to the hangar. They may be a good group to contact, they are very thorough in doing things the right way and extremely friendly.

Are you looking at Grand Junction?

Been there, done that at quite a few places, throwing out students. If you get the tower guys on side, half your battle is won. We had them sit through a training session then threw them out the door, all for free.

Once they saw how we did things, they realised we were not a bunch of cowboys, they were most helpful. Although they didn't stop calling us meatbombs!!

If its a busy airport, expect to get holds, although if you have scheduled flights you can work around that.

It can be done, although its hard to overcome the latent opposition from pilots, most of which comes from ignorance. Take an experienced jump pilot with you to help explain things, its helpful if he also has hours on big commercial jets, it helps keep the less rated opposition pilots quiet.

Lay the PR on thick, with a shovel......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Not in the US but I frequently jump at an airport that meets this description

Pretoria skydiving club at Wonderboom airport in South Africa.

The club has been there for 52+ years which helps but the airport property is large and the club leases land on the furthest part of the property from the primary runway. Some of the student landing area has been eaten up with hanger expansions and we do get holds on the ground for incoming commercial flights.

Overall it works very well because of the operators relationship with the airport and community