FreefallingCari

I Downsized... AGAIN... Pt 2

Wow, That Sabre 1 150 (with a sabre 2 150 slider) is amazing! I feel like a small "Big girl" with that 1.1 WL. We have had so much fun! I took another canopy course, because "Hey, it is a new canopy, why not". The landings are awesome, great openings, and the flight characteristics treated me well. I made 105 jumps with that 1.1 WL. We even took our Wingsuit FJC together. We still fly together with that wingsuit, and we love life, she is not for sale.

I kept thinking back to my Spectre though. The 7 cell canopy I learned on was so wonderful. I can land accurately and safely with my Sabre 1 150 9 cell, BUT that 7 cell was amazing. I could literally sink it anywhere, of course, it is a 7 cell!! I needed another Spectre. I craved playing around with my 7 cell.

Lo and behold, there was a spectre 135 for sale!! Now, I had lost 10 pounds due to finally being off of the chemo steroids, but I was nervous.. WAS I READY?! I made 5 Jumps with 15 pounds of weight just to 'feel' it out.
The day came that I went for it. With the advice of my trusted man, with whom I did most of my AFP jumps with, I demoed it. I packed it, kissed my rig, and asked for a 6k hop n pop to play in the skies.
WOW!!! I felt that! I performed several canopy drills like I did in previous canopy courses. With my weight loss and such, I am a 1.14

The landing?! RIGHT IN THE PEAS WHERE I CALLED IT.

326 skydives now. I believe the 135 is the limit, after all, I have a wingsuit ;)

**I still have not flown a camera, maybe one day..

I downsized AGAIN...AND I LOVED IT.

ORIGINAL STORY BELOW

So, I have 186 jumps on my very first canopy, a Spectre 170. It was loaded about .85 to 1.0.
She made me very happy. Those beautiful openings while I learned to pack were priceless, she was VERY forgiving. I practiced maneuvers that would be vital to saving my life, such as downwind and crosswind landings. (I performed these via Hop N POP on slow days and let everyone know my intentions) Angelic I practiced braked turns, multioke canopy skills like stalling and reinflating the canopy during a course with Jay Moledski. I took a few courses, but I practiced on my own as well. Each jump was practice, each jump had a purpose for canopy skills-as it should.
I could throw a hula hoop out and land within her ring 50% of the time, the other 50% I landed within 20 ft or less. I could land her anywhere.

She was not just a canopy over my head, she was an extension of myself. She was part of me, we were linked. I was not "going for a ride", I was PILOTING her. She responded to my inputs...

With much thought and careful planning, as well as educating myself in r/t the canopy, I demo jumped a friends well maintained, beautiful Sabre 150. I felt comfortable and excited as I flew through the air... The landing? PHENOMENAL.

Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

That is a good idea!!!

I have realized that I downsize FAR more conservatively than most, but I like my legs, arms, torso, and boobs. (Cannot forget the boobs, they are fake because the real ones tried to kill me)

Thank you!

I am such a goober being excited about a 1.14 WL when people are out there screaming in on 2.1.. Bahaha

I can enjoy my cute little over 1.1 :P

(In had a little surgery last Friday, so I am a little goofy, don't mind me)

FreefallingCari

Thank you!

I am such a goober being excited about a 1.14 WL when people are out there screaming in on 2.1.. Bahaha

I can enjoy my cute little over 1.1 :P

(In had a little surgery last Friday, so I am a little goofy, don't mind me)

Heh well, I think it's OK to get excited about your progress in the sport. After all, for most of our history, humanity could only dream about what we do and look longingly at the sky. It sounds like you're taking your canopy progression at a reasonable pace. The Sabre 1 is a great canopy, too, I know people who swear by them. Congratulations!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I wouldn't go smaller than 135 if you plan on specializing on wingsuits.
It's not the WL or the skill, it's that the lines will get shorter so your deployment will be more and more affected by the burble.
Sure, people jump much smaller canopies with WS all the time, and 90% of the times it works all the times!
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.