2 2
F104 Starfighter

Seeking Experienced Opinions on an older Parachute Rig from a Storage Unit Auction.

16 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Whatever the main is (and I'd vote for Cloud over Viking)

The stabilizers use rings as slider stops.  I know ParaFlite used plastic "poker chips" in my Cruisair, but I don't remember whether Strato-Clouds had rings or poker chips.

3 hours ago, mark said:

The stabilizers use rings as slider stops.  I know ParaFlite used plastic "poker chips" in my Cruisair, but I don't remember whether Strato-Clouds had rings or poker chips.

Hi Mark,

Just going off of memory ( and we all know how that is ), IMO it was almost what day of the week did they make it. *

Accumak is who we need to hear from on this.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  * Nothing unusual, everyone was trying to figure all of this out back then.

27 minutes ago, F104 Starfighter said:

What do people do with older Parachutes and older Containers/Harnesses? Do they convert them to Clothing, Storage Bags, Car Covers, Kites...? I would find it difficult to throw it away. Seems like it would have some kind of use.

They stick them in the back of a closet and forget about them. When they die their children deal with it like all the other crap that needs to be thrown out. There are a few collectors and this is in nice shape, but seriously it is just an old useless obsolete curiosity at this point. And I do know what you mean about hard to throw away. I once had a similar rig pass through my possession. If I remember correctly I sold it for one or two hundred dollars. Probably on Ebay, but possibly on one of the FB skydive gear sites.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

I have a friend with a loft full of stuff that people left and never picked up again. Yeah, he can sell it, but most of it's not far off this rig.

Elementary schools used to like round canopies to play with, but I don't think square ones are as attractive to them.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

They stick them in the back of a closet and forget about them. When they die their children deal with it like all the other crap that needs to be thrown out. There are a few collectors and this is in nice shape, but seriously it is just an old useless obsolete curiosity at this point. And I do know what you mean about hard to throw away. I once had a similar rig pass through my possession. If I remember correctly I sold it for one or two hundred dollars. Probably on Ebay, but possibly on one of the FB skydive gear sites.

Hi Ken,

Re:  They stick them in the back of a closet and forget about them.

A local guy bought everything in an estate sale, got it home & found a complete rig in one of the boxes.  Brought it out to the dz to see what he had & became a quite experienced skydiver.

Jerry Baumchen

i'd love to jump it, but damn, it is pretty old, even for me.  not the round, afraid of that acid mesh shit.  i did have an old 24' conical though, if i still had it i would jump it just for the hell of it, not at my dz though.  that canopy is pretty, i would pay you like 20 or 30 for, but only for decoration.  unless it is airworthy...maybe one jump.  i think i can put a belly reserve on my rig, just in case.

Edited by sfzombie13
had a thought
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i'd love to jump it, but damn, it is pretty old, even for me.  not the round, afraid of that acid mesh shit.  i did have an old 24' conical though, if i still had it i would jump it just for the hell of it, not at my dz though.  that canopy is pretty, i would pay you like 20 or 30 for, but only for decoration.  unless it is airworthy...maybe one jump.  i think i can put a belly reserve on my rig, just in case.

Hi 13,

No mesh in a Navy conical.

Jerry Baumchen

Not going to read the posts, but I think;

The "rig" is a wonderhog II, circa 1980, I had a very similar one. It worked, love the plastic / nylon? reserve handle...........

The "main" is likely a paraflight cloud XL based on the vents in the underside.

Zero value to me, probably not much value to most.

Edited by kleggo

17 minutes ago, kleggo said:

Not going to read the posts, but I think;

The "rig" is a wonderhog II, circa 1980, I had a very similar one. It worked, love the plastic / nylon? reserve handle...........

The "main" is likely a paraflight cloud XL based on the vents in the underside.

Zero value to me, probably not much value to most.

1978 Wonderhog Container Harness.

20210217_092444.jpg

Edited by F104 Starfighter
  • Like 1

That my is an old Strato cloud,1.5 oz fabric...the rings as slider stops,the line attach point s( type 4 coreless nylon,covered by a piece of 1.5 inch type 3),the windows on the bottom surface AND the dual bridle attachments  ,not to mention the zig zag stitching using FF red thread,.ITS ALL PARAFLITE!. I KNOW CUZ I WORKED THERE. The serial number was stamped on one of the ribs,since these ribs are all black,you will find the serial number on one of the reinforcing tapes on the rib.it may no longer be visible because the ink PFI used at the time was NOT permanent

Edited by chuteshack
  • Like 3

I see the rig listed on Ebay at the low, low price of only $499! Now there's an optimist for you! (plus free shipping that is completely not free at all) Plus a phone # in the ad in an attempt to cheat Ebay out of their piece. Nice, just the kind of person we all would love to do business with!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARACHUTE-RIG-HARNESS-CONTAINER-MAIN-RESERVE-PILOT-CHUTE-MOVIE-PROP/143951033460?hash=item2184267474:g:0bcAAOSwqKZgLGfq

Edited by gowlerk