nicsoew

Transition from track to arched position

nicsoew

in transition from track to arced position I begun to wobble in arched position for a short time. How can I do transition without it?

Without any further information, the only answer is "slowly" :)

[edit: in general smooth inputs are good. If you are finding things are jerking you around or wobbling you, consciously try and slow down and move smoothly.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Is that little bit of wobble much of a problem? I think doing it slower will take more time on any skydive, something we have so little of to begin with.

Perhaps it's just that you're coming out of forward motion into a neutral position, so the relative wind is coming from slightly in front, making you head high. Then, as you slow, you settle out.

Another thought. Do you ever wobble in freefall? I see people doing that when they are trying to force a more head-high attitude than aerodynamics allow. You could be doing the same thing coming out of your track, trying to force yourself head-high.

At what point is all this happening on your skydive? If it's in diving and docking on formations, try using your knees to slow down a bit. Ask a good belly flyer. If all this is happening when it's time to pull, heck, just track, go neutral, wave off and pull. Don't worry about a little wobble.

I have that little wobble only when going from track to arched. Everything else is fine but its going on my nerves. I jumped this weekend but no tracking...just 2-way and accuracy. Docking goes fine every time. I never wobble except tracko to arched and its not much and it lasts maybe 3 secs but it frustrates me. Maybe I should pull in track but I want to be able to transit gently....I feel like noob after wobbling 😁

nicsoew

Maybe I should pull in track but I want to be able to transit gently....I feel like noob after wobbling 😁

I track pretty flatly, then I wave off and pull, sitting up as the canopy opens. I don't make a point of slowing down first, etc., just track-wave-pull-sit up. It works for me but I tend to fall slower when I track, which gives some pretty nice openings. Maybe get a video of your wobbles and show it to an instructor.

I still think it just might be trying to fly "head high" on the relative wind after the track. Keep us posted.

nicsoew

I have that little wobble only when going from track to arched. Everything else is fine but its going on my nerves. I jumped this weekend but no tracking...just 2-way and accuracy. Docking goes fine every time. I never wobble except tracko to arched and its not much and it lasts maybe 3 secs but it frustrates me. Maybe I should pull in track but I want to be able to transit gently....I feel like noob after wobbling 😁

I haven't done much belly jumping lately but I can remember being in some pretty fast tracks and just needing to slow down before deployment. If you are throwing on the brakes really hard and fast, it might be a bumpy ride....as you bleed off that energy.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

JohnMitchell

***Maybe I should pull in track but I want to be able to transit gently....I feel like noob after wobbling 😁

I track pretty flatly, then I wave off and pull, sitting up as the canopy opens. I don't make a point of slowing down first, etc., just track-wave-pull-sit up. It works for me but I tend to fall slower when I track, which gives some pretty nice openings. Maybe get a video of your wobbles and show it to an instructor.

I still think it just might be trying to fly "head high" on the relative wind after the track. Keep us posted.

This.

When I went into a beginner angle camp, we were told an easy was to bleed speed and dump from the track was to do a forward flair with the arms, dearch a tad and come up on the knees to pitch. Leads to a nice slow speed to open. My harder openings went away after that, and i use it after every track.

Yes. Transition to a bit of a "head high" attitude from the track by flaring with your hands somewhat forward of your head. Bring the knees forward so that your thighs are about 90 degrees from your chest for a few seconds. This gives a "speed brake" effect to your forward movement.

Kevin K.

kkeenan

Yes. Transition to a bit of a "head high" attitude from the track by flaring with your hands somewhat forward of your head. Bring the knees forward so that your thighs are about 90 degrees from your chest for a few seconds. This gives a "speed brake" effect to your forward movement.

Kevin K.

I've been doing a flare stop after track for a couple seasons and it really helps give consistent openings.

Sounds like you are "chipping", getting to tight and hard into an arch, see it in students during regular free fall.
Instead of trying harder to be stable, exhale and relax as you stop your track.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.