airdvr

Racial Segregation

I think it's the largest barrier to ending race problems in the US.  It's no longer barriers to where you can live but barriers created by where you can afford to live.

I started thinking about this during the SB.  There was a commercial (I don't remember the product).  It showed people living and playing together.  One shot would have only white folks...the next only black.  We don't live together.  We don't play together.  We don't know anything about each other that isn't spoon fed to us by the media.  Somehow it needs to change.

45 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Birds of a feather will flock together. It is just the way humans behave and socialize.

I'd be asking for a PA to say what kind of birds it seems apparent you flock with, based on that statement.  

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

I think it's the largest barrier to ending race problems in the US.  It's no longer barriers to where you can live but barriers created by where you can afford to live.

I started thinking about this during the SB.  There was a commercial (I don't remember the product).  It showed people living and playing together.  One shot would have only white folks...the next only black.  We don't live together.  We don't play together.  We don't know anything about each other that isn't spoon fed to us by the media.  Somehow it needs to change.

Good observation.  Yep, and that media influence goes both ways - they portray what they think reality is, people see that and decide that's reality.

Yep. It's harder for minorities to get loans in a lot of markets (if people are looking for qualifiers for non-minorities, and disqualifiers for minorities, then there are going to be fewer loans). Historically, a lot of minorities were only offered properties in "minority" areas. And even now, apparently in some markets minorities are treated differently

Seattle

Columbus (open in a private window for the pay wall)

Appraisals (open in a private window for the pay wall)

These were ones I found with a single search

Wendy P.

10 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

son of a bitch!  i've been doing all sorts of things to disable paywalls but this one never occurred to me!  i disable javascript and have even put a dot after the .com in the address bar, just learned that one.  there are a couple of others i forgot and a few that don't work any more.  thanx for that. 

you rock...

like cocaine and baking soda.

(edited)

Take a look at the attached Deed Restrictions.  I have a friend who would like to build a home in this development.  These are some pretty hefty restrictions.  Typically DRs are there to protect the other homeowner's property values but I think changing the requirements for Deed Restrictions to include building, at least in some area of the development more affordable housing would go a long way towards levelling the playing field.

In Ohio there are currently no incentives for home builders to build more affordable units so they don't.

Aberdeen Master - By Laws.pdf

Edited by airdvr

7 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Birds of a feather will flock together. It is just the way humans behave and socialize.

Yes of course Ron. Because obviously that’s the way God wants it! Wait a minute, didn’t she create Adam and Eve and aren’t all of us brothers and sisters?

(edited)
16 hours ago, airdvr said:

I think changing the requirements for Deed Restrictions to include building, at least in some area of the development more affordable housing would go a long way towards levelling the playing field.

In Ohio there are currently no incentives for home builders to build more affordable units... 

NJ had a somewhat controversial judicial decision that municipalities were required to use their zoning regulations to promote affordable housing. At the time some municipalities had zoning regulations that actively prevented low-income affordable housing projects from being built. It was called the Mount Laurel doctrine, I was familiar with it because my mother was a Real-estate agent for a developer.

Towns found a way around it. They sold and purchased qualifying affordable housing projects, just like cap and trade and carbon credits.

Rather than get a mix of residents some of these towns paid other municipalities for their excess affordable housing starts, and they often paid large sums to keep their demographics static.

We are absolutely segregated by economics and where we live, and most people are very comfortable with the status quo.

We just bought a house this summer in a rural farming/commuter bedroom town. It is largely white and affluent. The lack of diversity was actually one of the main negatives that I considered, but the large wooded lot and cul-de-sac was a huge draw. 

I plan on getting my son involved in activities as he gets older that will introduce him to a more diverse peer group, because I think it is really important. I also hope we can travel to different countries. I think it is also important that understands how different his life experience is than others. 

Edited by DougH

19 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Yep. It's harder for minorities to get loans in a lot of markets (if people are looking for qualifiers for non-minorities, and disqualifiers for minorities, then there are going to be fewer loans). Historically, a lot of minorities were only offered properties in "minority" areas. And even now, apparently in some markets minorities are treated differently

Seattle

These were ones I found with a single search

Wendy P.

The was a story from August 2020 about a interracial couple (white husband/black wife) who had a home in a predominantly white neighborhood in Jacksonville, FL. They had their home appraised and the appraisal was significantly lower than comparable homes in the neighborhood. They ordered a second appraisal. This time, they removed all pictures of the wife and her family. They removed books with black authors from the shelves. They removed pictures of black historical figures. The wife and their son arranged to not be there when the second appraisal was done.

The second appraisal was 40% higher. Any guesses as to why?

33 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Think cultural relativity.

There is another more accurate definition that I'll leave to lippy. I'm already close to a ban thanks to you. Look, you live in your white christian enclave at the roads end. Given that you don't believe in the rest of the world why not just unplug your modem and live out your remaining day's in peace, fulfilled and reinforced by the world around you?

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Yes of course Ron. Because obviously that’s the way God wants it! Wait a minute, didn’t she create Adam and Eve and aren’t all of us brothers and sisters?

True, and who is the one person we can all focus on for unity?

Hint: Jesus is the answer.

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

They were trying to sell their house.

Wendy P.

I could be wrong about this (don't think I am, but prove me wrong). You don't need to get an appraisal to sell your house. House prices are based on what someone is willing to buy the house for, not what some appraiser says it is worth. If I'm buying a house it makes no difference what a person says the prosperity is worth. Is it worth "$X.xx" to me that is all that matters.

7 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Because they were incredibly stupid? They will have to pay higher property taxes every year from now on.

A privately contracted appraisal should not affect your property taxes.  Those are based on "appraisals" done by the county you live in.

1 minute ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I could be wrong about this (don't think I am, but prove me wrong). You don't need to get an appraisal to sell your house. House prices are based on what someone is willing to buy the house for, not what some appraiser says it is worth. If I'm buying a house it makes no difference what a person says the prosperity is worth. Is it worth "$X.xx" to me that is all that matters.

The article I linked above (Appraisals) talks about this issue in more detail.

Wendy P.

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

The article I linked above (Appraisals) talks about this issue in more detail.

Wendy P.

Ok, this has gone way beyond the dry humor of my original post. But instead of conceding, I'm going to go full-on republican denialism and double down and say:

Don't try and confuse me with facts! My mind is made up. I have no time to read stupid articles to become informed on any subject that does not mesh with my preconceived notions. I know I'm right and that is all that matters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Because they were incredibly stupid? They will have to pay higher property taxes every year from now on.

20 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

They were trying to sell their house.

Wendy P.

The agent appraising the property thought the sellers were gullible. So in a tough market he under-priced the appraisal so it would sell quickly. So with little work he gets paid quick and the sellers are SOL. From the Realtor 201 course 'underprice for quick sales and no work".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

You don't need to get an appraisal to sell your house. House prices are based on what someone is willing to buy the house for, not what some appraiser says it is worth. If I'm buying a house it makes no difference what a person says the prosperity is worth. Is it worth "$X.xx" to me that is all that matters.

When you are selling it might be worthwhile to have an appraisal to give guidance around pricing. Realtors will do it for free, but for a Realtor getting the highest price is not necessarily the biggest motivator.

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

True, but the bank will only finance based on an appraisal.  Maybe they were trying to refinance.