1 1
JerryBaumchen

Progress

22 minutes ago, jakee said:

Ok.... Well, um, congratulations on being old?

If nothing else you are true to form. While googling and arguing on internet forums will get you some things, the fullness of understanding that comes from lived life experiences is not among them. I hope you live long enough, and experience enough, to someday understand the relevance. 

22 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

I had a cousin, the 4th & last child, of one of my aunts & uncles.  Right after this cousin was born, his father died.  The mother kept him in dresses & long curly hair until it was time to go into the 1st grade.  Nobody in the family really talked about it.

Jerry Baumchen

Used to be commonplace 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

17 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

If nothing else you are true to form. While googling and arguing on internet forums will get you some things, the fullness of understanding that comes from lived life experiences is not among them. I hope you live long enough, and experience enough, to someday understand the relevance. 

Donald Trump is old too.

• Like 1

I caught myself saying "back in my days" last week and almost choked on my own words.

I am 40, which seems young to me now and used to look old when I was younger...

I did watch a video yesterday and one guy was saying progress has been going on steadily for 200+ years, so despite all the scary stuff on the news, statistically the next year is likely to follow this trend.

I noted the video was posted back in the good old pre-pandemic days...

5 minutes ago, Nataly said:

I caught myself saying "back in my days" last week and almost choked on my own words.

I am 40, which seems young to me now and used to look old when I was younger...

I'm 66, and I'm still the same person I was, I really don't feel any older.

Looking from the outside, yeah, I am -- I'm just a little less energetic when fired up (but still more energetic than most people I know when fired up), and a little less aware of current events/current celebrites/current trends. Not to mention those wrinkles.

Wendy P.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Looking from the outside, yeah, I am -- I'm just a little less energetic when fired up (but still more energetic than most people I know when fired up), and a little less aware of current events/current celebrites/current trends. Not to mention those wrinkles.

Wendy P.

Maybe you know less about "trends" but I bet you know more about worldly events...

EDIT: also, I should probably qualify that I decided to live in an area where the average age is probably about 80!!  It's a great way to always look like a kid in comparison!  HA!  It will catch up with me, though, obviously...  

2nd EDIT: actually, I remember feeling soooooo indignant every time someone uttered the words "you don't understand."  But actually, until you have experienced something yourself you don't understand...  Not really.

Edited by Nataly

18 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Eh you're not _that_ old.

Joe.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nataly said:

EDIT: also, I should probably qualify that I decided to live in an area where the average age is probably about 80!!  It's a great way to always look like a kid in comparison!  HA!  It will catch up with me, though, obviously...  

We have a place like that in the US, too; It's called "Florida".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

If nothing else you are true to form. 

Yep, I talk about issues, you talk trash. Both true to form.

While googling and arguing on internet forums will get you some things, the fullness of understanding that comes from lived life experiences is not among them.

Do you think you're the only one of us who has lived experiences? Or you think you're at the perfect age where you've experienced enough to know stuff, but anyone younger definitely hasn't? Either way, you seem to be having a major sense of homour failure. Happens a lot with you, eh?

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Eh you're not _that_ old.

Joe.jpg

I'm not sure the 15 year later picture would be identical but you are right, I'm not old. Funny how much easier it is to say that when you have a few years behind you. Thanks for the memory. Those were some fun times.

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

Re:  I really don't feel any older

I used to have a t-shirt that said, 'I may get older, but I refuse to grow up.'

Personifies my outlook on life.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Back when I was still jumping, every now & then one of the females on the dz would say to me, 'You're a dirty old man.'  My reply was always, 'I'm not old.'

On 2/8/2021 at 5:58 AM, BIGUN said:

Afternoon, Jerry.

For me, I'd like to go back to milk in glass bottles and more manufacturing jobs in the USA than China.

And for prices to allow for the pay from those manufacturing jobs to garner a living wage.

glass milk bottles -- delivered each morning and the bottles reused/recycled -- would put us back on a good track with the environment, too.  I do remember having a milk box on the front porch, and the milk truck driving by early in the morning with the deliveries.

• Like 1

In 2019, U.S. agricultural exports to China totaled $13.8 billion, up from $9.1 billion in 2018. China was the third largest market for U.S. agricultural exports

From the ASME 'Hasbro Toys announced in 2019 it would move some of its production to Vietnam and India, forecasting the percentage of its goods produced in China would drop to 50 percent, from two-thirds, by the end of 2020. Some multinational firms, such as Intel, Sharp, Apple, and Google, also have announced plans to diversify and move portions of their manufacturing to Vietnam....The average hourly manufacturing compensation in China now sits at $4.12, according to Barclays research, versus, for instance, $1.59 in India."

Some jobs can't be brought back to the US. The US has a natural advantage in Ag, commercial aircraft, entertainment, software,etc. China has lost its advantage in clothing and other labor intensive low cost products. India, Vietnam, Indonesia,etc. are new centers for very low cost manufacturing.

"President Biden spoke with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time since taking office in a call in which he said he raised issues of human rights, trade policy and international security that divide the two countries while also holding open the possibility of working together on climate change and nuclear proliferation.

The call, Wednesday night in Washington, came after Mr. Biden in recent days spoke with a host of allies in Europe and Asia, signaling that he seeks to deal with China as the leader of the world’s democracies rather than solely an American president. The U.S. needs to “join together with others to hold China accountable for its abuses and to shape China’s choices going forward,” said a senior administration official."

The correct way is with trade agreements with allies and China. To protect copyrights and use allies to keep China from dumping products and cheating.

Edited by Phil1111

Hi folks,

I started this thread as I am against the death penalty.

I, just now, have heard of this book & movie:  10 Rillington Place

10 Rillington Place - Wikipedia

'The majority of Fleischer's film centres on Christie's murder of his upstairs neighbour Beryl Evans and her baby in 1949, for which Beryl's husband Timothy was wrongly convicted and executed in March 1950.'

' The wrongful conviction of Timothy Evans is considered one of the great failings of British justice and a factor in the subsequent abolition of the death penalty for murder in the UK'

Jerry Baumchen

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

'The majority of Fleischer's film centres on Christie's murder of his upstairs neighbour Beryl Evans and her baby in 1949, for which Beryl's husband Timothy was wrongly convicted and executed in March 1950.'

' The wrongful conviction of Timothy Evans is considered one of the great failings of British justice and a factor in the subsequent abolition of the death penalty for murder in the UK'

Jerry Baumchen

Interestingly the same man executed both the innocent and the guilty men in this crime.

58 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Jerry Baumchen

54 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Interestingly the same man executed both the innocent and the guilty men in this crime.

And the same man who served as official executioner for most of his adult life, including the hanging of Nuremberg criminals, came to change his mind on the death penalty. His autobiography "Executioner: Pierrepoint" talks about his life and career and how his views changed over time.

6 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Jerry Baumchen

Holy crap, Jerry, I was just looking at that. Damn awful business.