1 1
JerryBaumchen

Progress

30 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

If progress is always in the right direction why do right wingers call progressives leftists?

Because to many conservatives, progress of any sort is bad.  They prefer to return to a time where no black person dare call a white person racist, where a woman would never think of denying her husband his right to sex, and where gays remain in the closet where they belong.

18 minutes ago, billvon said:

Because to many conservatives, progress of any sort is bad.  They prefer to return to a time where no black person dare call a white person racist, where a woman would never think of denying her husband his right to sex, and where gays remain in the closet where they belong.

Hi Bill,

Re:  They prefer to return to a time where . . . 

I love it when they say/post, 'We need to get back to where we were.'

When I ask them where that was, they usually get an odd look on their face & mumble something incoherent.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Re:  They prefer to return to a time where . . . 

I love it when they say/post, 'We need to get back to where we were.'

When I ask them where that was, they usually get an odd look on their face & mumble something incoherent.

Usually it's couched in terms like "when people respected authority" or "when people knew what sex they were" or "when people weren't freaks."

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Usually it's couched in terms like "when people respected authority" or "when people knew what sex they were" or "when people weren't freaks."

This one bugs me "when people knew what sex they were". Back when, we all let our freak flags fly and often pushed back on authority but the sexual identity struggles some folks are open about these day's really weren't something we needed to think about. Well, now it's something we need to think about and try to understand. Why that's any different from any of the other identity issues people have struggled with over time, and we've accepted as a part of the human condition, is a mystery to me.

16 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

This one bugs me "when people knew what sex they were". Back when, we all let our freak flags fly and often pushed back on authority but the sexual identity struggles some folks are open about these day's really weren't something we needed to think about.

Not sure that's true.  I think such struggles have always been with us; they change in form but not in the confusion of the 'older generation' when presented with the new generation's expression.

"You got your mother in a whirl cause she's not sure if you're a boy or a girl" - Bowie, 1974

"I'm a man who doesn't know . . .How to sell a contradiction" - Boy George, 1983

22 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not sure that's true.  I think such struggles have always been with us; they change in form but not in the confusion of the 'older generation' when presented with the new generation's expression.

"You got your mother in a whirl cause she's not sure if you're a boy or a girl" - Bowie, 1974

"I'm a man who doesn't know . . .How to sell a contradiction" - Boy George, 1983

I concede the point, for sure. I should have said it was wasn't something we knew we needed to think about. Or maybe I knew we needed to think about.

26 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

1972, Ms Magazine: X: a Fabulous Child's Story

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

I had a cousin, the 4th & last child, of one of my aunts & uncles.  Right after this cousin was born, his father died.  The mother kept him in dresses & long curly hair until it was time to go into the 1st grade.  Nobody in the family really talked about it.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

I concede the point, for sure. I should have said it was wasn't something we knew we needed to think about. Or maybe I knew we needed to think about.

Someone did.

Holly came from Miami, F.L.A.
Hitch-hiked her way across the U.S.A.
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she

She says, "Hey, babe
Take a walk on the wild side"

Lou Reed, 1972

2 hours ago, jakee said:

Someone did.

Holly came from Miami, F.L.A.
Hitch-hiked her way across the U.S.A.
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she

She says, "Hey, babe
Take a walk on the wild side"

Lou Reed, 1972

I was 19 in 1972, how old were you? 

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Afternoon, Jerry.

For me, I'd like to go back to milk in glass bottles and more manufacturing jobs in the USA than China.

Hi Keith,

I would prefer the waxed paper containers for the milk.

Yup, we need to quit buying from China.  Walmart is what destroyed American manufacturing; them and their customers.

It would make almost every product a little more expensive; but, IMO well worth it.  So what if you only have 6 pairs of shoes instead of 7?

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1