blindguy

psycho pack with s-fold

it looks like the real difference between psycho pack and pro pack is how you go from triangle to bag width. Could you not do s-folds with a psycho pack (or a roll for a pro pack)? Most people i see who like psycho pack really like the roll part and not necessarily the rest.

You've got it backwards. The real difference between a psycho pack and a pro pack is rolling vs s-folding. The actual technique used to narrow the canopy isn't important to the final result, as long as the lines are maintained in the center of the pack job. The narrowing technique that a lot of people use for the psycho pack is just more convenient because you put the canopy on the ground "upside down".

timski

The REAL question is why are you researching the "psycho" pack job? Having trouble getting it into the bag nicely with traditional S folds?

bored at work and it came up on youtube. if youre asking why i bothered to post, i like the way psycho pack exposed the canopy to the wind at the center cell. and actually i like the s-folds so want to psycho pack with an s-fold

The main difference i see in psycho is where you flip it and then roll the outer cells, flip it and fold. in pro, you roll the tail then fold. in both cases you are left with the dbag at the top before you roll or fold.

indyz

You've got it backwards. The real difference between a psycho pack and a pro pack is rolling vs s-folding. The actual technique used to narrow the canopy isn't important to the final result, as long as the lines are maintained in the center of the pack job. The narrowing technique that a lot of people use for the psycho pack is just more convenient because you put the canopy on the ground "upside down".

psycho pack comes form "cycle pack" and is specifically talking about the narrowing technique, cycling from front to back, the back to front.

blindguy

***You've got it backwards. The real difference between a psycho pack and a pro pack is rolling vs s-folding. The actual technique used to narrow the canopy isn't important to the final result, as long as the lines are maintained in the center of the pack job. The narrowing technique that a lot of people use for the psycho pack is just more convenient because you put the canopy on the ground "upside down".

psycho pack comes form "cycle pack" and is specifically talking about the narrowing technique, cycling from front to back, the back to front.

I hate to pull the old guy skydiver card, but no. You are wrong. http://parachutistonline.com/safety_training/ask_a_rigger/psycho-pack

Good article. So part of the problem is that the version i saw was different from the original version here. (also see http://www.precision.net/packing.htm). I agree now that at least the original version is just a way to get a pro pack ready to roll.

This guy does something different with the narrowing (but still calling it psycho pack), which it what i like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGyvLfdTH1k&t=624s

you can expose the nose the same way when PRO packing!. When you are counting cells, count the first four cells(3 with 7 cell) then roll them inward, count the center cell and leave it, count your remaining cells and roll them inward..once both sides are rolled, take the center cell and "open it up" around the two rolls you made. Done

Then you can continue to to pro pack as usual. I used to pack my old velo this way. Helped the openings when the line set was getting close to needing to be replaced....calmed it down a little ;)

Nothing wrong with phycho packing, but if you are doing it just to expose the nose...you don't have to

I have the exact opposite experience.
I learned to roll canopies years before I heard of Psycho-Packing. Rolling reduces a confusing pile of fabric to one simple roll that can easily be contained by one hand or one knee. Rolling eases the process of stuffing the canopy into the d-bag.