1 1
JerryBaumchen

Rotten Apples

Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

There is an old saying about every barrel has at least one rotten apple.

Both my mom & my dad were one of eight children.  One of my uncles, on my mother's side, spent two years in prison.  One of my uncles, on my dad's side, was told by a District Attorney that he needed to leave town.

This one is going to be fun to watch:  GOP Discord Over . . . Marjorie Taylor Greene

Liz Cheney, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Trump And Republican Discord : NPR

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  And to be somewhat fair:  Fannie Foxe is a former stripper, best known for being involved in a 1974 sex scandal surrounding Arkansas Congressman ( D ) Wilbur Mills   

Fanne Foxe - Wikipedia

 

Edited by JerryBaumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, headoverheels said:

I'm from Georgia, I know where her district is.  Did you look up opponent in the primary?

 

Fact is, voters in that district DID choose her over her opponents, and her loony views were already well known.  Maybe says something about them that you hadn't realized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, headoverheels said:

The amazing thing is that Greene won her primary, against a very credible opponent.

 

Meh....the opponent was some  neurologist named John Cowan. How boring is that to red meat Rs? The dude doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Meh....the opponent was some  neurologist named John Cowan. How boring is that to red meat Rs? The dude doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

He probably used a lot of words with more than one syllable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kallend said:

He probably used a lot of words with more than one syllable.

Exactly the words I said to myself. No disrespect to headoverheels, but if Trumpism has exposed anything in America it's that our neighbors are not who we thought they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see nothing wrong with Greene in congress. This is what it means to be in a representative democracy. Our government needs to have people of all types in there - not just the ones you like. QAnon should be represented just as much as progressive liberals. If the people of Georgia want someone like her to represent them, then she should be allowed to be there to represent their beliefs. And everyone else outside her district should not be able to say shit about it. Kind of like those a-holes in Texas trying to change the votes in Pennsylvania. Now if the people of her district decides that she has gone too far, they could do a recall (or whatever it is called) and vote her out of office. But since that hasn't happened, we can only assume that she has the full support of the people of her district and for me, I know now where in the US I personally would never want to move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Exactly the words I said to myself. No disrespect to headoverheels, but if Trumpism has exposed anything in America it's that our neighbors are not who we thought they were.

Hi Joe,

Re:   if Trumpism has exposed anything in America it's that our neighbors are not who we thought they were.

Six years ago I was having lunch with one of my best friends, a true liberal.  I told him this very thing.  He did not believe me then, he does now.

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree with Cygnus, with the exception that if she makes threats on other members of Congress, then they do have the right to oust her. OTOH, sometimes it's better to keep your enemies where you can keep an eye on them.

Wendy P.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I see nothing wrong with Greene in congress. This is what it means to be in a representative democracy. Our government needs to have people of all types in there - not just the ones you like. QAnon should be represented just as much as progressive liberals. If the people of Georgia want someone like her to represent them, then she should be allowed to be there to represent their beliefs. And everyone else outside her district should not be able to say shit about it. Kind of like those a-holes in Texas trying to change the votes in Pennsylvania. Now if the people of her district decides that she has gone too far, they could do a recall (or whatever it is called) and vote her out of office. But since that hasn't happened, we can only assume that she has the full support of the people of her district and for me, I know now where in the US I personally would never want to move.

If you don't draw the line at whackadoodles, who have opined that a bullet to the head of the Speaker of the House of Representatives would be the most efficient way of removing her from her seat, from being in the House of Representatives then where, if anywhere, would you draw a line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I completely agree with Cygnus, with the exception that if she makes threats on other members of Congress, then they do have the right to oust her. OTOH, sometimes it's better to keep your enemies where you can keep an eye on them.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

 with the exception that if she makes threats on other members of Congress'

And:

 'who have opined that a bullet to the head of the Speaker of the House of Representatives would be the most efficient way of removing'

End of discussion.

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I completely agree with Cygnus, with the exception that if she makes threats on other members of Congress, then they do have the right to oust her. OTOH, sometimes it's better to keep your enemies where you can keep an eye on them.

Wendy P.

That was part of why JFK took LBJ as a running mate.  That and Johnson was guaranteed to win Texas, regardless of quite who voted for whom.

Unfortunately, Johnson did not serve as an effective life insurance policy, and wound up in the Oval Office.

I thus hope our current CIC lives out his term.  His veep is one of the most amoral people in the beltway, which is a pretty lofty standard.

 

BSBD,

Winsor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

 

 'who have opined that a bullet to the head of the Speaker of the House of Representatives would be the most efficient way of removing'

End of discussion.

Jerry Baumchen

Not really the end of the discussion. I haven't done any research and I'm not about to because frankly I don't care that much. But the bold statement is probably true - if we are talking efficiency. No need for comities, voting, procedures, etc. It is not the legal or correct way, but it is efficient which is why it works in wartime.

So the question is, "was that a credible threat or just someone talking, campaigning, pumping up her base?" If it was a credible threat then there is no need for congress to remove her. She should be arrested and charged for solicitation of murder. If you can't do that, then it is just posturing by her opposition and she should remain in the house. And yes I believe that if the laws are not there already, it should be a crime for a politician to advocate the assassination of anyone during a campaign speech. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

So the question is, "was that a credible threat or just someone talking, campaigning, pumping up her base?" If it was a credible threat then there is no need for congress to remove her. She should be arrested and charged for solicitation of murder. If you can't do that, then it is just posturing by her opposition and she should remain in the house. And yes I believe that if the laws are not there already, it should be a crime for a politician to advocate the assassination of anyone during a campaign speech. 

I think there is a level of conduct that one would reasonably be fired for that is a level above provable criminal activity.  (At least in all the jobs I've had so far.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billvon said:

I think there is a level of conduct that one would reasonably be fired for that is a level above provable criminal activity.  (At least in all the jobs I've had so far.)

That is true, but we are not talking about us average peons. We are talking about the elites who are allowed to get away with things we could only dream of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I see nothing wrong with Greene in congress. This is what it means to be in a representative democracy. Our government needs to have people of all types in there - not just the ones you like. QAnon should be represented just as much as progressive liberals. If the people of Georgia want someone like her to represent them, then she should be allowed to be there to represent their beliefs. 

That's fine. If insane people want to elect an insane person that's up to them.

Quote

And everyone else outside her district should not be able to say shit about it. 

That's wrong. She's a politician in a national assembly, with input on national policy who votes on national matters. It doesn't matter that only her district can elect her, she is in a position where her actions can effect everyone in the country, so everyone in the country can say whatever shit they want about it.

Further, the problem with Greene is not just that she was elected, it's that the rest of the Republican party instantly rewarded her for being a lunatic. A hardcore school shooting denier being rewarded with a place on the education committee (not just the Georgia education committee, the everywhere education committee)? It's beyond perverse. 

BTW, the saying Jerry was searching for is not "there's a bad apple in every barrel" it is 'one bad apple spoils the barrel", and right now her rot is spreading fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

1 1