1 1
JerryBaumchen

Rotten Apples

8 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

That is true, but we are not talking about us average peons. We are talking about the elites who are allowed to get away with things we could only dream of.

Why do you think they should be so special? Why do you want the elites to be so far removed from the common life experience?

(edited)
2 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

So the question is, "was that a credible threat or just someone talking, campaigning, pumping up her base?"

No, that is not the question. The question is whether or not this is behavior that will be tolerated in a member of the House. Apparently the answer is no, by vote of the House.

Edited by gowlerk

17 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I see nothing wrong with Greene in congress. This is what it means to be in a representative democracy. Our government needs to have people of all types in there - not just the ones you like. QAnon should be represented just as much as progressive liberals. If the people of Georgia want someone like her to represent them, then she should be allowed to be there to represent their beliefs. And everyone else outside her district should not be able to say shit about it. Kind of like those a-holes in Texas trying to change the votes in Pennsylvania. Now if the people of her district decides that she has gone too far, they could do a recall (or whatever it is called) and vote her out of office. But since that hasn't happened, we can only assume that she has the full support of the people of her district and for me, I know now where in the US I personally would never want to move.

nothing at all wrong with her in congress, until they address the part where she advocated for killing the speaker of the house aka her boss, as she was duly elected and represents the lunatics in the part of ga who elected her.  she should have no place on any committee, especially with her views and apparently the house agrees.  i just wish the gop had taken the time to censure her themselves.  removing an elected official just because she thinks differently is a slippery slope we do not want to start down, much like all the rest of them we have slid down lately.

21 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Tell how you really feel about women in power and morals. 

This would appear to presume that I give a rat's ass about the race, sex, national origin or whatever of the individual of concern, one way or another.

I reserve the right to judge an individual on the content of their character, without weight given to any of those things.

Does that address your question?

2 minutes ago, winsor said:

This would appear to presume that I give a rat's ass about the race, sex, national origin or whatever of the individual of concern, one way or another.

Hmm.  Yet you have stated that you give far more than a rat's ass about someone who is Muslim.  You regularly denigrate that religion.

Is it only religion that you make such pre-judgments on?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Hmm.  Yet you have stated that you give far more than a rat's ass about someone who is Muslim.  You regularly denigrate that religion.

Is it only religion that you make such pre-judgments on?

If someone is wearing a swastika, a hijab or other symbol of a hate group yes, it gives me pause.

In practice I have worked for and with Nazis and Muslims without issue.

Race, sex and national origin are accidents of birth.  Adhering to an ideology is not.

The tenets of Islam mandate that I should be killed on the spot without repercussions on a number of bases, and I have no qualms pointing out that this is seriously evil.  I do not, BTW, advocate putting them to death in return.

6 minutes ago, winsor said:

The tenets of Islam mandate that I should be killed on the spot without repercussions on a number of bases, and I have no qualms pointing out that this is seriously evil.  I do not, BTW, advocate putting them to death in return.

The tenets of Christianity and Judaism have some similarly odious mandates. Maybe fundamentalism and the literal interpretation of texts (particularly religious) is the problem, and not the specific religion.

Wendy P.

9 minutes ago, winsor said:

If someone is wearing a swastika, a hijab or other symbol of a hate group yes, it gives me pause.

How about a Star of David or a cross?  They call out similarly heinous principles, and have been used to justify oppression, rape and mass murder.

13 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

The tenets of Christianity and Judaism have some similarly odious mandates. Maybe fundamentalism and the literal interpretation of texts (particularly religious) is the problem, and not the specific religion.

Wendy P.

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

How about a Star of David or a cross?  They call out similarly heinous principles, and have been used to justify oppression, rape and mass murder.

Judaism is tribal identity with some very fucked up traditions.  One can be quite Jewish without adhering to any of the vile nonsense in the family lore.

The Cult of the Magic Jewish Zombie, however, is entirely voluntary, and wearing a symbol of how Romans executed Jews is, indeed way offensive.

Yeah, I agree that oppression, rape an mass murder (even small scale murder) are bad things.

3 minutes ago, winsor said:

Judaism is tribal identity with some very fucked up traditions.  One can be quite Jewish without adhering to any of the vile nonsense in the family lore.

The Cult of the Magic Jewish Zombie, however, is entirely voluntary, and wearing a symbol of how Romans executed Jews is, indeed way offensive.

Yeah, I agree that oppression, rape an mass murder (even small scale murder) are bad things.

Well, Judaism is in part a tribal identity; it is also practiced as a religion. And those fucked up "traditions" are included in the Jewish holy books, so they're just as much a part of Judaism as those "mandates" are of Christianity and Islam. Nice choice of words, BTW

Is someone with an unknown matrilineal Jewish inheritance an MOT, kind of like the "one drop" rule of blackness that pervaded the US South within the last 100 years?

Wendy P.

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Well, Judaism is in part a tribal identity; it is also practiced as a religion. And those fucked up "traditions" are included in the Jewish holy books, so they're just as much a part of Judaism as those "mandates" are of Christianity and Islam. Nice choice of words, BTW

Is someone with an unknown matrilineal Jewish inheritance an MOT, kind of like the "one drop" rule of blackness that pervaded the US South within the last 100 years?

Wendy P.

A significant percentage of Rabbis are functional atheists, whose treatment of the Tanakh and the Talmud has nothing to do with the 'God said it, I believe it, and that settles it!' mentality.

Much of the strictly religious practice of Judaism is as fucked up as a football bat.  Groups that use Judaism as the basis for their religions, however, took it to a new level.

The 'Jewish holy books' are a compilation of family lore, which has been coopted by various organizations as the basis of 'Universal Religions' of one strip or another. 

The matrilineal identity is a recent thing.  As Max Brooks pointed out when people questioned his Jewish identity, given his Shicksa mother, "if it's good enough for Dachau, it's good enough for me."

You will note that the books of Matthew and Luke, IIRC, delineate the paternal lineage of Joseph as the firstborn of the House of David to qualify as Messiah per the book of Isaiah, which conflicts with the whole 'virgin birth' thing (a seriously European concept, btw). 

28 minutes ago, winsor said:

Judaism is tribal identity with some very fucked up traditions.  One can be quite Jewish without adhering to any of the vile nonsense in the family lore.

Pretty sure they also have a book of rules and rituals etc.  I read part of it.  Also pretty sure it's entirely voluntary.

But yes, it would definitely be silly to claim that anyone who looked Jewish, or was a practicing Jew, adhered to all of that vile stuff in their book.  Even if there are all sorts of seemingly ironclad instructions about murder, rape, enslavement etc.  A wise person would not conflate that stuff with a modern practicing Jew.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:34 PM, wmw999 said:

I completely agree with Cygnus, with the exception that if she makes threats on other members of Congress, then they do have the right to oust her. OTOH, sometimes it's better to keep your enemies where you can keep an eye on them.

Wendy P.

Keep in mind that such thinking gives a mouthpiece to expand that view. To legitimize it. QAnon is racist, fascist, anti-democratic, anti-government and anarchist. Many people have a hard time avoiding rabbitholes in general. Legitimizing such representatives increases the damage such "policy makers" can do to government.

Having said that I understand the substance of what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree. The almost party line vote of the trump party certainly reinforces your view.

2 hours ago, winsor said:

The tenets of Islam mandate that I should be killed on the spot without repercussions on a number of bases, and I have no qualms pointing out that this is seriously evil.

Yet all the people killed in acts of domestic terrorism in your nation (and mine) have been done in by Christians. While millions of Muslims somehow manage to live their lives among us infidels in peace.