2 2
billvon

White privilege example for this week

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Class privilege is definitely a problem; 

Wendy P.

What about the problem of educational privilege, two parent privilege, not having children out of wedlock privilege, no criminal record privilege and having a job privilege?  How do we address those “problems”?

37 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Except that if the road is an accident trap, is that privilege being used to better things, like adding one more (louder) voice to the chorus?
Wendy P. 

sounds like this black privilege is gonna get the road fixed.  the white privilege is folks looking to see if he gets out of it because of his money. 

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

"The road has seen 13 accidents since last January."

"We don't contemplate any charges whatsoever in this crash," Villanueva said Wednesday in a Facebook Live chat. "This remains an accident. An accident is not a crime. They do happen, unfortunately."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/us/tiger-woods-car-accident-what-we-know-intl-spt/index.html

You  know I ride all over the country on a Harley and there are just some fucked up roads that can try to kill you as much as an inattentive driver in a vehicle. My suspicion is Tiger's attorneys are going to obliterate the highway department and possibly even make it a class-action suit. .    

Topography, traffic volumes and money dictate most road construction contracts. With certain exceptions of course.. Then you factor in environmental issues like rainfall, snow, animal corridors, nearby urban areas, etc.

Thats why a lawyer stated “That would be data that would put that cities on notice that it’s a dangerous stretch of roadway,’’ Shouse, who now runs his own law firm, told USA TODAY Sports. “And their failure to take reasonable steps to alleviate that danger, to either redesign the roadway or add a traffic signal, reduce the speed limit, add speed bumps, take various measures to reduce the risk, their failure to do that could potentially subject them to liability.’’

What he forgot to mention is that the speed limit on that road is 45 mph. Now if you're on some sort of crotch rocket with the stickiest widest track tires. Perhaps you can negotiate that road at one sheriff's deputy said he's clocked cars going as fast at 80 mph.. But the laws of physics take president over inattention, stupidity and bravado.

As you know those factors can all act to separate a biker from his ride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Unfortunately in many cases we just have to wait for older racists to die off and rely on the newer generations to do better.

Why did you bring in race?  Wendy mentioned the “problem” of class privilege.  I just brought up the additional privileges of education, employment, parental, marital and legal status.  No mention of race.  If “privilege” is a problem, presumably these other privileges are troublesome as well.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Why did you bring in race?  Wendy mentioned the “problem” of class privilege.  I just brought up the additional privileges of education, employment, parental, marital and legal status.  No mention of race.  If “privilege” is a problem, presumably these other privileges are troublesome as well.

Your feigned innocence may fool your children, but I am sorry to let you know, nobody else buys it. You can keep spouting the myriad equivalents of "I have a black friend", but it really changes nothing.

White privilege doesn’t seek to marginalize. It does seek to identify where others may have had obstacles placed on them by social conditions — not necessarily by malicious individuals, but simply by people following the easiest life path. 
Wendy P. 

26 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

White privilege doesn’t seek to marginalize. It does seek to identify where others may have had obstacles placed on them by social conditions
Wendy P. 

Ok I am in full agreement.  Socioeconomic and cultural differences play a tremendous role in the success or lack there of, of any group or individual. It just has little to do with race.

50 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Ok I am in full agreement.  Socioeconomic and cultural differences play a tremendous role in the success or lack there of, of any group or individual. It just has little to do with race.

Well, you’re halfway there. In the US, there’s a strong correlation between race and economic status (most specifically African-American, and to a lesser degree Hispanic). This is due to long-term submission by the dominant class. Jim Crow wasn’t a comedian. 
Wendy P. 

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Well, you’re halfway there. In the US, there’s a strong correlation between race and economic status (most specifically African-American, and to a lesser degree Hispanic). This is due to long-term submission by the dominant class. Jim Crow wasn’t a comedian. 
Wendy P. 

Where do Asians fall in this hierarchy of oppression?  They have been the victims of some the most oppressive  racism in our history.  They are even largely excluded in popular culture.  There are networks that cater to LatinX and African Americans yet none for our oppressed Asian brothers and sisters.  What is up with that?

Edited by brenthutch

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

White privilege doesn’t seek to marginalize. It does seek to identify where others may have had obstacles placed on them by social conditions — not necessarily by malicious individuals, but simply by people following the easiest life path. 
Wendy P. 

Sorry Wendy.  Poor social conditions don't have a race specific cause, or a race specific cure...it's a class thing.  And there are so many different causes.  If you want to take aim at a class of people just go after the 1%.  They've gamed the system in their favor to the detriment of just about everyone else.

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

How can you possibly be an American, know anything about the history of your nation, and yet still believe this?

I can understand if you've never been through Appalachia or spent time in the cities.  Even the small ones like where I live have hoods that are terrible.  And there's white kids there as well as black.

Poor social conditions may have been a black thing in the past but it's very much multi-racial now.  I'm not dismissing the effects of racism.  

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Sorry Wendy.  Poor social conditions don't have a race specific cause . . .

No?

Telling black people they can't have jobs because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they can't go to college because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they can't go to medical school because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they can't get an apartment in a nice area because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they have to wait until the white people are served because they are black isn't race specific?

Wow.  What kind of white supremacist bullshit site did you get that from?

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

Bill...you really jumped the shark with that post.  Sounds like there are no employed black doctors living in nice apartments eating dinner at a restaurant.

you're stretching it there, as we all know (or at least should) that just because you can find an exception it does not mean that nullifies the statement.  i grew up and lived in appalachia most of my life.  i have also traveled to some sketchy areas in multiple cities.  you forgot the age old question, why not both?  it is classism, and racism has caused staggering inequalities.  nothing is black and white, ever.  i can find an exception to anything, yet that does not disprove anything, just like it doesn't confirm it.  i will try to get some links from some friends who do this more than me, they know how to successfully debate racists and have all the supporting evidence on hand.  it would take me way too long to find it.

6 hours ago, billvon said:

No?

Telling black people they can't have jobs because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they can't go to college because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they can't go to medical school because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they can't get an apartment in a nice area because they are black isn't race specific?

Telling black people they have to wait until the white people are served because they are black isn't race specific?

Wow.  What kind of white supremacist bullshit site did you get that from?

Source please, and not something from last century.  
BTW, those same inequities were suffered by white folks as well.  The Irish, Italians and Jews to name a few.

Edited by brenthutch

As with so many things, progressives/liberals believe in the narrative rather than the facts.  Systemic racism, male female pay inequalities and catastrophic anthropogenic global warming to name a few. Here is a great example 

“The available data on police shootings of unarmed Black men is incomplete; however, existing data indicate that somewhere between 13-27 unarmed black men were killed by police in 2019. Adjusted for the number of law enforcement agencies that have yet to provide data, this number may be higher, perhaps between 60-100.
• Yet, over half (53.5%) of those reporting “very liberal” political views estimated that 1,000 or more unarmed Black men were killed, a likely error of at least an order of magnitude”

https://www.skeptic.com/research-center/reports/Research-Report-CUPES-007.pdf

Edited by brenthutch

Acknowledging that some groups are more privileged than others is not taking anything away from the groups that are more privileged -- it's just saying that those people benefitted from a reduced competitive pool. Women weren't allowed to compete equally in many pools for a long time; neither were minorities. That doesn't mean that the white men who came out well weren't qualified, just that they had a reduced pool to compete with (unless you honestly think that white American men are, by their very nature, the creme de la creme -- but that says something else about you).

And there are few pools that don't have some sort of discrimination against them. Men generally don't fit in at quilting bees (of course, it's OK to denigrate quilting bees, because they're peopled by -- yes -- women).

Wendy P.

11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Acknowledging that some groups are more privileged than others is not taking anything away from the groups that are more privileged -- it's just saying that those people benefitted from a reduced competitive pool. Women weren't allowed to compete equally in many pools for a long time; neither were minorities 

Wendy P.

We are talking about “white privilege this week” not in the 19th or 20th century.

46 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Acknowledging that some groups are more privileged than others is not taking anything away from the groups that are more privileged -- it's just saying that those people benefitted from a reduced competitive pool.

this is what so many people refuse to acknowledge.  they see it like a pie.  give a slice to someone who doesn't have one means to take it away from them to do so.  it's more like air.  there is plenty for everyone.  giving air to one does not mean you take it away from another.  or we could just bake more pies.

• Like 1