2 2
billvon

White privilege example for this week

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It just makes me sad to see MLK Jr’s dream undermined by a bunch of “woke” white folks.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

There are still cemeteries where only white people can be buried. Just a small example of the continuing racism that is pervasive and institutional.

We aren't even close to MLK Jr. dream, and it has absolutely nothing to do with wokeness. That is just another excuse for racists to use, telling themselves they are not racist, they are just not "woke" AND they have a black friend.

3 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

it seems that you are fascinated by what the "democrats" did. 

The standard three step:

1) There's not that much racism.
2) OK there's racism but it's not that bad.
3) Democrats did it first.

Oh, and he has a black friend, so he's not racist.  In fact, he is absolutely the least racist person you will ever meet.

12 hours ago, Darius11 said:

There is no such thing as White privilege

In college my friend and I were in the dorm when we heard someone yelling.  We looked out the door - and a couple was being mugged on Memorial Drive.  The mugger saw us and took off.  We started chasing him.  We had been talking to a campus police woman 30 seconds earlier, and she was still in the dorm, so we assumed that she had seen what had happened and would call in reinforcements.

We chased him about a quarter mile to the edge of the campus.  Then he ducked into a little copse of trees.  We both went in to look for him.  I found him and yelled "HEY!"  He saw me and started running.  He and I burst out of the trees on the far side where the Cambridge Police were waiting.  This was a big strategic mistake on his part, because the Campus Police were chronically understaffed and had one car - but about half a dozen Cambridge Police had shown up and were pointing their weapons at him.

And even though we came out of the woods at the same time, and even though they did not have a good description of him yet (only about two minutes had elapsed) I had no worries that they would point those weapons at me - because I was white and he was black.

And that, my oblivious friend, is white privledge.  No economic advantages.  No "oh it's this and that in society."  It was the color of our respective skins.

When the cops arrive at a crime scene, they see me, then they look for the perp.  When I show up at a new company with a black co-worker, they talk to me, assuming I will be making the decisions for my black underling.  I don't have to take a special course to learn about white history.  That's just called "history."  I've never needed the US Supreme Court to tell the US that I have the same rights as everyone else.

There is economical privilege period.

There is absolutely economic privledge as well.  But to say "therefore there is no white privledge" is absurd.

Ever heard of Neil Degrasse Tyson?  Phenomenally successful astrophysicist, worth well over $5 million.  Has his own TV show.  He regularly got hassled by the cops because he's black.  And years ago when he was at a conference for black scientists, he and the other astrophysicists were sitting around talking and he mentioned his experience with the cops.  "Yep, happened to me too" every other one said.

https://m.facebook.com/nt/screen/?params={"note_id"%3A10158921215706613}&path=%2Fnotes%2F{note_id}&_rdr

The only way you can fix any problem is by being honest about the cause

Exactly.  And by claiming there is no white privledge, you are not being honest about the cause.

1 hour ago, Nataly said:

T And in other places, you can spend life in prison for trying to sell $30 of weed (but only if you happen to be black)

Exactly.

But if you are a white male who shoots three people at a protest, you get a huge amount of support.  They let you out on bail, and you meet up with the Proud Boys in a bar.  They tell you to cut that out, so you just skip bail.  And the Family Values types cheer and hope they never find you.

Or if you're a white woman who breaks into the capital, breaks down the door of the Speaker of the House and rifles through her desk, they let you go on vacation in Mexico while you are out on bail.  "She's not going to run!  She's an upstanding woman, not an inner city type."

8 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Louisiana

To be fair, they're trying to get the restriction changed. But it's probably not the only cemetery in the country like this.

Wendy P.

“Creig Vizena, president of the Oaklin Springs Cemetery Association, told CNN affiliate KATC that he was ashamed to learn about how the Semien family had been treated. The woman who turned them away was in her 80s and has since been "relieved of her duties,”

One, now fired, eighty some year old white woman is an example of pervasive and institutional racism?

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

One, now fired, eighty some year old white woman is an example of pervasive and institutional racism?

Contracts that specifically state only white people are. The fact that it got changed because it was a police officer and it went to the press shows what is required for change to happen.

Since the 50s that contract said only for the remains of white human beings. All those decades nobody thought that was something that needed to change.

How would you feel if you were trying to arrange the burial of your spouse and were told the colour of their skin was a problem?

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

No apologies necessary.

Awwww, cute.  In womanspeak, "sorry" is sometimes a polite way to acknowledge you are about to be (or have been) a cunt.  Because being cunty doesn't require you to be rude about it ^_^

(Admittedly, being rude is usually more satisfying...)

Really, if you are going to play here you'll need to get used to being unfair, ignoring nuance, and taking things out of context, too.

That's not how I want to play :E

When you get good

According to whom?

Feel free to practice on me [...] I'll help you find someone more deserving.

So kind and generous!  Will let you know if I need your help ;)^_^

PS: sorry for all the emojis  

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

So because LSU tried to protect a cash cow white privilege doesn't exist? 

So far we have had a white star athlete being convicted of rape but barely getting a sentence. A black athlete being falsely accused and going to prison and a whole program being protected.

You can't spot the white privilege in those examples? Can a person be that blind?

20 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

So because LSU tried to protect a cash cow white privilege doesn't exist? 

So far we have had a white star athlete being convicted of rape but barely getting a sentence. A black athlete being falsely accused and going to prison and a whole program being protected.

You can't spot the white privilege in those examples? Can a person be that blind?

Do you know the meaning of “anecdotal”?

9 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Darius, economic privilege is entirely real. You've lived in more places than a lot of us I think, and can speak from experience.

In the US, for a lot of institutionalized reasons (Jim Crow laws, real estate agreements, banking practices, social isolation), the median accumulated wealth of a white family is 8 times that of an African-American family, and 5 times that of an Hispanic family ( Federal reserve data ). Therefore, economic discrimination, as a class, happens more to minorities. That's exactly what institutionalized racism is.

For a lot of people, accumulated wealth comes from our families. Not necessarily from the inheritance, but from the ability to start life out without significant debt, with a better school, and owning rather than renting a house (that's a very large part of many families' wealth).

I would agree that America's laws are not racist. However, there are a LOT of people in America who are very unapologeticaly racist. That means they understand and can explain the problems that white people have, while assuming that all problems of minorities are because of their own inadequacy. That's racism, and classism, right there.

Most people, through supreme effort, can overcome stuff. However, most people aren't capable of supreme effort across the board, and if it requires a whole lot of effort just to get to "average," then it's too easy just to quit, because life isn't just the accumulation of wealth.

Wendy P.

I don't think there is a single group of people on the planet that has not been oppressed abused or treated unfairly at a time in history. Its terrible for sure but Victimhood is not the solution. It hasn't been for the other groups who were treated terribly and faced unfair situations in the past. The Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Italians, and on and on and not just in America all over the world, literally everyone has ancestry that's been unfairly abused. You can choose to make that your identity however i dont think its the wise choice. If you are not currently directly affected that means someone is not oppressing you right now, then get a job make better decisions and your life will improve over time, or at minimum you will improve your probability of success.. 

As for Racism, the question is what are you trying to solve? You cant invade someone's mind or control it, so as a society what we can do is not allow racist laws which i believe we both agree there are no racist laws on our books. 

Racism is not just a white Issue either, how many BLM protesters screamed your white so shut the fuck up! What you say doesn't matter because your white! The facts that these were tolerated by media and some apologists even praised this in our country is an extremely sad occasion in our history. We seem to have lost some of the principles that make this country great. If i say the next president has to be a white male that's the same statement as if i say the next president has to be a brown female, those two statements are equally ignorant. We want whomever is best qualified.

As for your last paragraph about most people not being capable of supreme effort: Ok so what's the solution? Am i supposed to help them or is that their family's responsibility?, are you to blame or the people responsible for teaching the child the people who made the child? How can you or me be responsible for a decision that we had nothing to do with?

And what do you consider supreme effort?

This country thanks to the high standard of living even the poor have it better then most of the world. I dont think its supreme effort to work 40 hr a week save money live at your means not spit out kids until your ready and have a stable S.O. These are all average basic minimum efforts stuff and all under your control. If you do these simple things you can have a good life.

What missing is these lessons of hard work , discipline, the value of education or acquiring a useful skill are not being taught at the home. Whos job is it to teach these lessons? Who is responsible for teaching  how to behave, dress, and speak in society so you would be viewed in a positive light and not a negative one? i believe its the parents job unless you want a government official to take over which would be horrific in my opinion. There are many minorities who are greatly successful why is that? how do so many brown black and asians how do so many of them succeed while they started with less than even the poorest of americans? The answer is family culture, and the values someone taught them!

The solution is hard and it takes self reflection from the communities affected to solve it for themselves. You make your community better on an individual one by one bases, sympathy about how pathetic you might be doesn't amount  to jack shit, and blaming someone or scorning the people who point out the truth will not solve the issues but perlong them.

14 minutes ago, Darius11 said:

If you are not currently directly affected that means someone is not oppressing you right now, then get a job make better decisions and your life will improve over time, or at minimum you will improve your probability of success.

The whole "if someone is not shooting at you right this very second then you are imagining things" argument doesn't work.  If you are a black woman, working at a place that has an aggressive DEI program, that's great.  But if you live in fear that police will kill your son because he's driving while black, that's not "imagining things."  That's a real fear, based on incidents that actually happen.

As for Racism, the question is what are you trying to solve?

That some minorities (blacks in this case, applies to many others in different ways) are systematically and structurally discriminated against.  We have gotten much better in the past 50 years.  We still have some work to do.  That work is important.

You cant invade someone's mind or control it, so as a society what we can do is not allow racist laws which i believe we both agree there are no racist laws on our books. 

There are still laws on the books in Virginia that say things like "no child shall be forced to attend an integrated school."  They are in the process of being changed; great.  But the process is not complete yet.  So yes, there ARE still racist laws on the books.

As for your last paragraph about most people not being capable of supreme effort: Ok so what's the solution? Am i supposed to help them or is that their family's responsibility?

Help them yourself if you can.  If not, support efforts to help them.

There are many minorities who are greatly successful why is that?

Because there are many minorities that are greatly successful.  No one is arguing that minorities cannot be successful - just that it is much harder for them to be as successful as their white counterparts.

Let's take a skydiving example.  You are on a bigway attempt.  The organizer says you have to wear 20lbs of weight, a slick suit and he's going to put you in the outer ring.  Will you be successful?  Or will you go low and get cut?

Now, I know a few people who have to wear 20lbs of weight to be on a dive like that, even if they are near the outside - because they are 5'9" women who weigh 105 lbs.   Would it be valid to say "Hey, she was successful!  What are you bitching about?"

I dont think its supreme effort to work 40 hr a week save money live at your means not spit out kids until your ready and have a stable S.O.

Is doing that while the cops arrest you once a month for walking while black a supreme effort?  Could you work 9 to 5 every day if the cops arrested you periodically and put you in jail for 24 hours?  Just to "check you out" of course, no discrimination, you just looked black like that guy who robbed a liquor store.  If you got fired because of that, because you kept missing work, would it be because you are weak and lazy, and couldn't wait to spit out kids?

• Like 1