2 2
billvon

White privilege example for this week

As others have pointed out, if the capital had been stormed, looted and vandalized by a cop-killing black mob, there would now be dozens dead from being shot by police.  A dozen more would now be dead or hospitalized due to "resisting arrest."  The remainder would be in jail without bail awaiting sentencing for first degree murder, and Trump supporters would be urging the death penalty for all of them.

On Jan 6th Jenny Cudd broke into the capital.  Once there she broke down Pelosi's door and rifled through her desk.  Two days after the coup attempt she was interviewed and she said "I would absolutely do it again."

She was arrested, then immediately released on bail.  Yesterday she asked the judge to allow her to go on vacation in Mexico. 

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what white privilege is.  Instead of fighting for your life, your battles are whether or not you get to go on vacation to the foreign country of your choice.

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

As others have pointed out, if the capital had been stormed, looted and vandalized by a cop-killing black mob, there would now be dozens dead from being shot by police.  A dozen more would now be dead or hospitalized due to "resisting arrest."  The remainder would be in jail without bail awaiting sentencing for first degree murder, and Trump supporters would be urging the death penalty for all of them.

On Jan 6th Jenny Cudd broke into the capital.  Once there she broke down Pelosi's door and rifled through her desk.  Two days after the coup attempt she was interviewed and she said "I would absolutely do it again."

She was arrested, then immediately released on bail.  Yesterday she asked the judge to allow her to go on vacation in Mexico. 

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what white privilege is.  Instead of fighting for your life, your battles are whether or not you get to go on vacation to the foreign country of your choice.

You're banking on a lot of "IF".  Clearly you can troll better than this.  

Christ sakes Bill!  I haven't left the state in the last 12 months.  Vacations are healthy. I need me some beach time.   If she didn't buy trip insurance she's going to be out a bit of coin, and even if she did I'm not sure the insurance would cover "Federal Charges".

Seriously, I don't think this constitutes white privilege unless the judge allows her to go.  Want to talk about Lori Laughlin?

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Seriously, I don't think this constitutes white privilege unless the judge allows her to go.  Want to talk about Lori Laughlin?

Sure, let's compare her to, say, Derek Harris.

She was a well known actress who used a $500,000 bribe to get her kid into college.  Sentence - two months in prison.

He was a black US veteran who sold $30 worth of pot to a police officer.  Sentence - life in prison.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

She was a well known actress who used a $500,000 bribe to get her kid into college.  Sentence - two months in prison.

He was a black US veteran who sold $30 worth of pot to a police officer.  Sentence - life in prison.

A definite case of WP.

(edited)
49 minutes ago, billvon said:

And after all that the black person's family has to fight for a burial plot, since there are still white only cemeteries.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/536477-louisiana-cemetery-declines-to-bury-black-deputy-sheriff

Edited by SkyDekker

1 hour ago, headoverheels said:

Here's a guy who was sentenced to only 6 months of home confinement (aren't most of us doing that these days?), a small fine, and 3 years probation.

https://www.ajc.com/news/johns-creek-man-sentenced-tried-to-sell-50-million-face-masks-he-didnt-have/LM3DW5PYRFFVLN75CF2QQFXG5M/

Hi heels,

Re:  tried-to-sell-50-million-face-masks-he-didnt-have

Was this 'johns creek' guy named Trump?

Jerry Baumchen

But what about all of us white folk being offered the covid vaccine before the "black community"???  Guess it boils down to where you find yourself living life and where the vaccination locations are being offered. 

So what IS the truth? Obviously the vaccine roll out has been anything but perfect. Did you really expect anything other wise?

But wait, before I run away on a covid tangent, THIS is a black vs white theme... You're not wrong Bill, the "white privilege" is REAL. 

Let's be problem solvers, not provokers. Because that is ALL you are offering here...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billvon said:

Privilege comes in all different flavors 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billvon said:

That's not about white privilege. That's about a racist judge who's behind schedule for a good arse kicking.  

15 hours ago, timski said:

Let's be problem solvers, not provokers. Because that is ALL you are offering here...

You can't solve a problem when a large voting block (with influence out of proportion to its size on account of the unrepresentative way our system works) is vocal in denial that there is any such problem.

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

That's not about white privilege. That's about a racist judge who's behind schedule for a good arse kicking.  

Racist judges (who, for the most part, are unconsciously racist) are a large part of the reason white privledge exists.  As are similarly racist police, probation officers, apartment managers, rental agents etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, timski said:

But wait, before I run away on a covid tangent, THIS is a black vs white theme... You're not wrong Bill, the "white privilege" is REAL. 

By far the #1 problem to solve is the denial that's out there.  "I'm not privledged at all!  I worked for everything I had!  How DARE you tell me I didn't!" is a common reaction to any discussion about privledge.  I don't know how to solve that other than to identify that privledge when it manifests itself (as it did here.)  I'm open to other suggestions.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Racist judges (who, for the most part, are unconsciously racist) are a large part of the reason white privledge exists.  As are similarly racist police, probation officers, apartment managers, rental agents etc.

My position is that we are all racist and all tribal. It is innate in our social structure. But there can be huge amounts of overlap in the groups we relate to, which is where "I'm not racist because I have black (or white) friends" comes from. We must all be aware of this and examine our actions and the reasons behind them carefully.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

My position is that we are all racist and all tribal. It is innate in our social structure. But there can be huge amounts of overlap in the groups we relate to, which is where "I'm not racist because I have black (or white) friends" comes from. We must all be aware of this and examine our actions and the reasons behind them carefully.

Hi Ken,

Re:  My position is that we are all racist and all tribal. It is innate in our social structure.

I disagree, somewhat.   I agree that our tribalism is what has brought us to be ( by some definitions ) the most advanced species on our planet.

IMO racism is a learned thing; it has nothing to do with being innate.  THAT would be a real cop-out for all racists.  "The devil made me do it."

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Re:  My position is that we are all racist and all tribal. It is innate in our social structure.

I disagree, somewhat.   I agree that our tribalism is what has brought us to be ( by some definitions ) the most advanced species on our planet.

IMO racism is a learned thing; it has nothing to do with being innate.  THAT would be a real cop-out for all racists.  "The devil made me do it."

Jerry Baumchen

You are part of my tribe, even though you do like Paul Anka. So I will just mostly agree with you and say racism is merely a subset of tribalism.

8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Agreed with all the above.

I wouldn't even call it racism at its core - I'd call it homophily.  We are most comfortable with people like us.  If they are foreigners that manifests as xenophobia; if they are a different race we call it racism.  It takes conscious effort to overcome this.  There are a great many people who exhibit this sort of homophily (as almost all people do) but deny it, for reasons you mention above.  These are the unconscious racists, the people who make decisions based on how they feel about people, unaware that much of those feelings come from that base of homophily.   Awareness of this is essential if anyone is to overcome that bias.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

I think the basis of racism is 100% innate.  We are suspicious of that which is different.  Watch a child meet another child of a different race for the first time - they will stare at them, go silent, perhaps even try to touch their hair or face - because they are getting messages from their firmware "Warning!  Warning!  Unexpected input!"  (Same thing if they have a birthmark, or are missing a limb or something.)

Then, very often, they will look to the adults nearby to see how THEY are reacting.  If they treat those kids exactly the same as everyone else, then that's what the child will learn.  If they get a big response either way, then they will learn that they SHOULD treat them differently. 

But that initial feeling of "warning!  different!" will always be there.  What matters is how they react to that feeling.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, billvon said:

I think the basis of racism is 100% innate.  We are suspicious of that which is different.  Watch a child meet another child of a different race for the first time - they will stare at them, go silent, perhaps even try to touch their hair or face - because they are getting messages from their firmware "Warning!  Warning!  Unexpected input!"  (Same thing if they have a birthmark, or are missing a limb or something.)

Then, very often, they will look to the adults nearby to see how THEY are reacting.  If they treat those kids exactly the same as everyone else, then that's what the child will learn.  If they get a big response either way, then they will learn that they SHOULD treat them differently. 

But that initial feeling of "warning!  different!" will always be there.  What matters is how they react to that feeling.

Hi Bill,

Re:  'Watch a child meet another child of a different race for the first time - they will stare at them, go silent, perhaps even try to touch their hair or face'

'Same thing if they have a birthmark, or are missing a limb or something'

I would argue that this is not racism.  This is a reaction to 'something' different.

That child is not a racist.  

Again, to say that it is innate is a cop-out.  If it is so ( innate ), then no racist can be guilty of racism.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen