1 1
Aymen Boureghda

Parachuting: What happens to your body during it?

القفز بالمظلة: ماذا يحدث بجسمك خلالها؟
Many of us dream or want to parachute from very high heights, but before making this decision it is important that you read the following article and know what might happen in your body in the process.
Skydiving is one of the most desirable adventures due to its mixed feelings and an exciting experience, but did you know what happens in your body during it?
Flying and Human
Have you ever thought about whether a human could really fly? In fact, humans were not created to fly, so if you decide to parachute, your body will react to that in an unusual way.
Parachute jumping is exciting, but the process itself stimulates the feelings of fear in the human body, and it enters the stage of fight and flight, known as (fight or flight).
What happens in the human body
So, to make the decision to parachute, here's what might happen to your body:
1- Before parachuting
When preparing for the parachute jump, you will notice a strange feeling in your bladder.
When you are stressed or anxious, your body releases adrenaline, which causes an urgent feeling of urgency to urinate, and it may also be a result of the tension that your muscles feel and cause a bladder spasm.
When you get on the plane towards the jumping point, your adrenal glands will start to produce a high amount of the hormone cortisol, known as the stress hormone.
When you are ready to jump out of the plane, your adrenal glands will be at their fullest, and this gives you an overwhelming feeling and the urge to jump, and you will feel that time has become very slow.
2- While jumping
While jumping, your speed will be about 200 kilometers per hour, and it will take a very short time to reach the surface of the earth, as several factors play a role in this, such as weight and the distance of the plane from the surface of the earth.
During this, you will feel the following:
Chills
Your feelings are fully awake
An increase in blood pressure
Sweating
mixed feelings.
It is worth noting that these matters differ from one person to another according to his nature.
3- After landing
Now that you have reached the surface of the earth, you will feel victory and self-confidence after achieving one of your dreams, and you will experience feelings of joy and comfort.
Some people who experimented with skydiving indicated that they became different people afterward, and this could be for several reasons:
Your ability to face your fears
Prove to yourself that you are stronger than you ever imagined
Strange feeling while jumping.
Note that your adrenaline levels will skyrocket, so have fun during the day.
Who can parachute?
Of course, there are some principles that must be followed for selecting qualified persons for skydiving, and they are as follows:
To be over eighteen years of age
If your weight is proportional to your height, obese people cannot skydive
Pregnant women cannot skydive.
People with heart disease are prohibited from skydiving.
Finally, do not close your eyes while jumping so you can fully live the experience!

• Like 2

Great article! I remember my first jump...and those emotions & feelings after landing....happiest day of my life. 

Looking forward to my first comeback jump. 

"“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aymen Boureghda said:

القفز بالمظلة: ماذا يحدث بجسمك خلالها؟
Many of us dream or want to parachute from very high heights, but before making this decision it is important that you read the following article and know what might happen in your body in the process.
Skydiving is one of the most desirable adventures due to its mixed feelings and an exciting experience, but did you know what happens in your body during it?
Flying and Human
Have you ever thought about whether a human could really fly? In fact, humans were not created to fly, so if you decide to parachute, your body will react to that in an unusual way.
Parachute jumping is exciting, but the process itself stimulates the feelings of fear in the human body, and it enters the stage of fight and flight, known as (fight or flight).
What happens in the human body
So, to make the decision to parachute, here's what might happen to your body:
1- Before parachuting
When preparing for the parachute jump, you will notice a strange feeling in your bladder.
When you are stressed or anxious, your body releases adrenaline, which causes an urgent feeling of urgency to urinate, and it may also be a result of the tension that your muscles feel and cause a bladder spasm.
When you get on the plane towards the jumping point, your adrenal glands will start to produce a high amount of the hormone cortisol, known as the stress hormone.
When you are ready to jump out of the plane, your adrenal glands will be at their fullest, and this gives you an overwhelming feeling and the urge to jump, and you will feel that time has become very slow.
2- While jumping
While jumping, your speed will be about 200 kilometers per hour, and it will take a very short time to reach the surface of the earth, as several factors play a role in this, such as weight and the distance of the plane from the surface of the earth.
During this, you will feel the following:
Chills
Your feelings are fully awake
An increase in blood pressure
Sweating
mixed feelings.
It is worth noting that these matters differ from one person to another according to his nature.
3- After landing
Now that you have reached the surface of the earth, you will feel victory and self-confidence after achieving one of your dreams, and you will experience feelings of joy and comfort.
Some people who experimented with skydiving indicated that they became different people afterward, and this could be for several reasons:
Your ability to face your fears
Prove to yourself that you are stronger than you ever imagined
Strange feeling while jumping.
Note that your adrenaline levels will skyrocket, so have fun during the day.
Who can parachute?
Of course, there are some principles that must be followed for selecting qualified persons for skydiving, and they are as follows:
To be over eighteen years of age
If your weight is proportional to your height, obese people cannot skydive
Pregnant women cannot skydive.
People with heart disease are prohibited from skydiving.
Finally, do not close your eyes while jumping so you can fully live the experience!

Hi Aymen,

Re:  Pregnant women cannot skydive.

Muriel Simbro, the 1962 Women's World Champion, was pregnant during the entire competition.

Lots of other things that you have posted are just as incorrect.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Aymen,

Re:  Pregnant women cannot skydive.

Muriel Simbro, the 1962 Women's World Champion, was pregnant during the entire competition.

Lots of other things that you have posted are just as incorrect.

Jerry Baumchen

No, it is not my intention that pregnant women cannot skydive, but it is preferable that they do not jump only for the sake of the health of the fetus

7 hours ago, Aymen Boureghda said:

No, it is not my intention that pregnant women cannot skydive, but it is preferable that they do not jump only for the sake of the health of the fetus

This topic is for discussion between a woman and her doctor, with the other parent also being consulted if part of the picture. I jumped while pregnant (5 months), with full knowledge of the doctor. That my doctor disagreed with your assessment says more about you than it does about me.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
6 hours ago, Baksteen said:

You can also skydive without the parachuting.

This made my day! Lol

I figured the article was going to take us into the science behind what we are doing to our bodies destructively, presumably, while in freefall and under canopy. That was what I hoped to read about.

Edited by Cocowheats

3 minutes ago, Cocowheats said:

I figured the article was going to take us into the science behind what we are doing to our bodies destructively, presumably

This month's Parachutist has something on that--related to repeated hypoxia. Given that I jump in Colorado and we are above 17-18k MSL on almost every jump, the article makes it seem like we should be suffering serious cumulative long-term effects.

16 hours ago, wmw999 said:

This topic is for discussion between a woman and her doctor, with the other parent also being consulted if part of the picture. I jumped while pregnant (5 months), with full knowledge of the doctor. That my doctor disagreed with your assessment says more about you than it does about me.

Wendy P.

Wendy, you aren't the only one who has jumped whilst pregnant.  

Pretty sure there has never been a study that indicated one way or another, let alone that it was detrimental to healthy pregnant women or their babies.   There is a point (individual) where it may be uncomfortable or cumbersome for said pregnant woman,  but to put a blanket statement (not backed up by any science) is just opinion.

5 hours ago, oldwomanc6 said:

Pretty sure there has never been a study that indicated one way or another, let alone that it was detrimental to healthy pregnant women or their babies.   There is a point (individual) where it may be uncomfortable or cumbersome for said pregnant woman,  but to put a blanket statement (not backed up by any science) is just opinion.

If the blanket statement is made by doctors/scientists I'd call it ass-covering, but other than that I agree.

7 hours ago, oldwomanc6 said:

That's how I found the obstetrician who would talk to me about jumping; she'd been through at least two others. The first OB I went to (recommended by a friend) suggested that I even quit taking the stairs at work. Nope, not my guy...

Wendy P.

4 hours ago, Baksteen said:

If the blanket statement is made by doctors/scientists I'd call it ass-covering

I think that's what the original post is more about. It seems to be geared towards first time tandem students. The potential liability problems for a business that provides services to pregnant women that could potentially be later seen as the cause for any problems to the unborn child (no matter if the skydive actually had anything to do with it), make it understandable that they would simply say it isn't safe or recommended--even without much evidence. Why take the risk? (to the business?)
For a licensed skydiver, it's different. They are not as likely to be able to sue the DZ, if they made the choice themselves, and especially if they checked with their doctor. It's the same as the age limitation: There is no reason a 16 year old couldn't safely do a tandem jump...but why take the risk as a business, given the possibility of lawsuits?

• Like 1