2 2
Rio Santonil

Advise: AFF Student w / 5 solos and hop n pop left

Today, I just completed my 19th jump. I have passed and completed all 8 levels and 5 coach jumps. In reading some of the AFF course experiences by many on this forum, it seems that I have been very fortunate that all 5 coaches and 3 Post AFF coaches that I have jumped with were very well trained, informative and articulate in passing on knowledge to improve and hone my skills through the AFF course. 

Based on the number of jumps I have left (5 solos and a hop n pop), I would like to maximize my experience from the remaining jumps I have left. In your opinion, what should I focus and work (maneuvers) on with the remaining 5 solo jumps? To be more specific, after obtaining your A license, and looking back, what skill set do you feel is the most important to learn and hone to ensure a safe skydiving experience in the air?  

As a side note, my dropzone offers a Post AFF coach, (available on the weekends only) to jump with the students (free) to accompany and coach the students to fine tune their skills.

Any feedback, advise, and perspectives are always appreciated. Thank you as always.

Fly Happy! 

(edited)

Personally I find it weird that DZs let people get into the coaching jumps before they’ve done their hop and pop. It’s a safety thing so that you’re comfortable making an emergency exit if required so, if it was me, I’d get that done straight away. It’s something people feel uncomfortable with but it’s the easiest thing to do and I think it helps with confidence.

Then, as a heavier jumper, my issue has always been 360s in place or other manoeuvres where I lose visual contact, while keeping my fall rate consistent and not sinking out so I’d try and work on that. Link up with your coach and then 360 and try to come out on the same level every time.

Try things you don’t learn well in AFF like side slides, fast fall, slow fall, etc. Get your coach to fall slower and move up to him/her. Vice versa with your coach falling quicker.

Try unlinked dive exits where you present to the relative wind and transition straight into position to chase your coach down the hill, getting to him/her as quickly as possible while still staying in control.

Also tracking effectively is essential to ensuring good separation when you jump with others and this can take time to get right. Ensure you’re tracking perpendicular to the jump run so you’re not getting into other people’s space and concentrate on making yourself a nice efficient wing so de-arched rather than arched in the track, move into it smoothly, pick a reference on the ground so you track straight and get a good 5 second track as efficiently as possible.

Edited by base615
  • Like 3

Excellent suggestions. Also, get a discussion of what your basic fall rate is, and begin practicing skills that will help you fall with a group; either stretching it to faster or slower. Much of this is reactions while transitioning between points if you’re heavy, and not being floaty in your slot if you’re not. But self-awareness helps. 
I agree that there’s no reason to put off the hop and pop. And use the time to relax in free fall some, and keep the enjoyment of each jump. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

I recommend you utilizing Elsinore coaching program. Instead of doing those boring solos you can continue developing your skills for free. (curious - do you need to pay for your coach's slot?)

Have fun and stay safe... :)  man you will get your A in no time! (jealous;);P)

And come visit Perris some time. 

• Like 1

(edited)

Congratulations! You have accomplished what few in the history of mankind have done. First, watch Kinesthesia, The Art of Body Flight and memorize it. The production is old, but, the techniques and coach dive sequence is still relevant.

If you can get to a wind tunnel, I recommend getting a 10 minute block with a coach and performing the drills outlined in Dives 1-8. You can pick up with Dive 9 if you successfully master the skills in the tunnel. If you don’t have access to a wind tunnel, I recommend you perform jumps 2-4.

Regardless of wind tunnel access, on your next skydive, you should perform an unlinked floating exit with your coach diving after you. Your goal is to maintain heading to watch the plane fly away and watch your coach fly to you as you transition to belly to earth on the relative wind “hill.” If successful in maintaining heading, on the next skydive, do the same exit, but, with a practice pull or two while your coach is diving toward you. This will give you experience in maintaining heading and confidence that you can pull stable on the hill regardless of altitude. You will now be ready for your hop and pops at lower altitudes.

Good luck!

Edited by BMAC615
  • Like 1

(edited)

learn and perfect your belly stuff:  fall rate, side swipes, forward/reverse, docking, burble pops, etc.  basic rw skills will come in handy such as getting into your slot and staying with your group.   do these for a minimum of 50 jumps before and if you decide to transition to your back and eventually freeflying.  get proficient at flying on your belly and with others.  its the foundation for the rest.  i would also recommend not doing 5 solos.  jump with others, dont be afraid to ask, we are always willing to have fun.  you wont have any frame of reference doing solos as you would with a group.  coach jumps are important so if you have the ability to do them, highly recommend it. 

learn to fly your canopy as well.  can always do a high pull or two and just try different maneuvers.  know what each riser does versus toggles, where you canopy stalls, descent rate, EPs, speed up/slow down, etc.  can always get with a coach and ask about all that fun stuff.  but most importantly, just be safe and have fun doing it.  good luck to ya and congrats, blue skies. 

Edited by Time2chill23
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:04 AM, Rio Santonil said:

(I)t seems that I have been very fortunate that all 5 coaches and 3 Post AFF coaches that I have jumped with were very well trained, informative and articulate in passing on knowledge to improve and hone my skills through the AFF course. 

That's because you jump at a badass drop zone, and Rom runs a great crew at the school. (Now if that old grey haired guy would just come back, but he's being a pussy about the virus or something...)

--------

I would also stress tracking. Tracking is a survival skill. If you're about to get your A license and be released 'into the wild', jumping with people who are not instructors/coaches, then your ability to perform a quick, straight track to ensure separation before opening is essential. Also make sure you're doing a good wave-off, and have your coaches show you about 'clearing your airspace' before you pull. When you get your A, look into the Excel Camps that they run every month. They're meant for where you're at.

About the hop n pop - Emergency exits are also a survival skill. You can practice it on any jump by making sure you can do a stable exit and quick practice touch. Also, be familiar with the areas you fly over during the climb to altitude, and know where your alternate landing areas are. There is nowhere you fly over that you cannot find a spot to land - a school, a park, a field, the top of a Wal-Mart...

"Safety's a skill. Survival's an art."

- JS

• Like 1

Ladies and gentlemen, I have read every single one of your recommendations, noted them, memorize it and most importantly incorporated it in my remaining jumps. 

You guys are the best!

You know that old saying that "it takes a community to raise a child", well, this community has raised and eventually raise a new and proud A licensed skydiver soon. 

Again, thank you thank you for your guidance, feedback, and recommendations.

Blue Skies and Fly Happy!  

• Like 1

Plenty of good advice above.

May I emphasize the important of good canopy control?

First, you need to stand up your landings without injury.

Secondly, stand up those landings in the correct field.

With practice, your accuracy will improve. 

Even when clouds prevent you from climbing to 12,000 feet you can still practice canopy skills. Warn the pilot that you are opening high and ask a friend to video your landings. During a lull, ask a local coach to critique video of your landings.

• Like 1