BIGUN

Activism - OOPS!

This cracked me up -

"The names of Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and other prominent figures including California Sen. Dianne Feinstein will be removed from 44 San Francisco public schools . . ."

https://apnews.com/article/race-and-ethnicity-san-francisco-school-boards-education-dianne-feinstein-8ed10976d4041129917914f7dd73c14e

Here's a solution - I went to P.S.99 - Just name them numbers. Guess it's a good thing there's only 44 schools, so no kid gets tarnished with "I went to PS 69"  : )   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

This cracked me up -

"The names of Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and other prominent figures including California Sen. Dianne Feinstein will be removed from 44 San Francisco public schools . . ."

https://apnews.com/article/race-and-ethnicity-san-francisco-school-boards-education-dianne-feinstein-8ed10976d4041129917914f7dd73c14e

Here's a solution - I went to P.S.99 - Just name them numbers. Guess it's a good thing there's only 44 schools, so no kid gets tarnished with "I went to PS 69"  : )   

Good googaloo, it's not like 1/2 the kids who graduate these days even know who they were much less what they did. 

22 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

This cracked me up -

The fighting 39ers!   Makes team mascots so much easier too.

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

This cracked me up -

Hi Keith,

Re:  Just name them numbers.

While this would remove the politics, what about what the Qcumbers would say?  After all, this is the very system used in the Soviet Union.

Ooooh, they are everywhere - They are watching you.  ;P

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

We should just erase all of our history and start over. ;P

Is the emoticon supposed to be you? I'd have chosen differently. Look, a country is many things but more than anything it is a society of people who choose to adopt a common identity and who work toward common goals for the common good. Those things generally come together very slowly for the whole. It's just reasonable that when most people have decided things like racism and racist behavior are no longer a part of their identity then they also no longer see it as a part of their national identity and, by extension, no longer identify with certain symbols of their racist past. It's not about starting over or denying our past it's about standing up for who we are now as a people. That's a good thing.

• Like 5

On 1/29/2021 at 11:39 AM, JoeWeber said:

It's 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and PS 36 is still one up on PS 35. What a game, Bill, what a game!

And then in 20-30 years, all the school names will have to change again because all the Xbox fans are upset that schools are named after the Play Station. We should just get it over with and accept our fate and start naming everything Brawndo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

And then in 20-30 years, all the school names will have to change again because all the Xbox fans are upset that schools are named after the Play Station. We should just get it over with and accept our fate and start naming everything Brawndo

I needed to spend an age related google on that, thanks. You know, given the tribal nature of high school to high school relationships maybe we should just let each incoming senior class name the school for that year. Obviously, SC Moderators would not be asked to weigh in on the name choices.

5 hours ago, headoverheels said:

But then you might get many with the same name, Schooley Mc School Face.

Yeah, but only if you allow an internet vote.

Back to the OP:

Funny thing. The "Junior High" (7th-9th grades) I went to was named for Albert Einstein. 
A few years after my time there, the annual 'birthday party' for him made the national news.
Apparently his family was not consulted before the name was applied, and claimed that Einstein himself didn't want that sort of thing done.
School name never changed.