brenthutch

China virus

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Why is calling COVID-19 the China virus somehow racist, but it is just fine to say “South African variant” or “UK variant”?

Intent mostly. But this is one of those: if you have to ask, you'll probably never understand. Even if you have a black, or Asian, or lesbian, or gay friend.

Here in Canada I have generally heard the news switching to the scientific designations and end a story with indicating that variant was first discovered in...

30 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Why is calling COVID-19 the China virus somehow racist, but it is just fine to say “South African variant” or “UK variant”?

And why is an article from April which said Covid was about to fade away completely a reliable source on whether lockdowns work?

44 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Intent mostly. But this is one of those: if you have to ask, you'll probably never understand. Even if you have a black, or Asian, or lesbian, or gay friend.

Here in Canada I have generally heard the news switching to the scientific designations and end a story with indicating that variant was first discovered in...

What makes China so special?  Lyme CT, the Rocky Mountains, the Middle East, and the Ebola river valley didn’t seem to make a big fuss.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

What makes China so special?  Lyme CT, the Rocky Mountains, the Middle East, and the Ebola river valley didn’t seem to make a big fuss.

We had this conversation in April. You know what else happened in April? The article you're currently leaning on to support your lockdown stance was published, and claimed covid was fading away all on its own.

55 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Being this forgetful is not normal. I would suggest bringing it up with your doctor.

3 hours ago, jakee said:

We had this conversation in April. You know what else happened in April? The article you're currently leaning on to support your lockdown stance was published, and claimed covid was fading away all on its own.

I do believe he is ignoring that pesky little fact. 

Probably also ignoring how Melbourne's lockdown was a success.  As well as the limited lockdown in Sydney recently that brought the small outbreak under control.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:34 PM, brenthutch said:

Disclaimer:  I have no love whatsoever for China. 

That being said, the problem with Trump calling this the China Virus is that it was an attempt to:

1) Deflect responsibility away from himself.  2) Create anger that will obscure the real issues and allow him to otherwise create political capital for himself.  I'm sure there's more, but to be clear, it's not an issue of being insensitive.

The problem I have with anyone that raises an argument like yours is that Trump's calling this the China Virus is such a clear obfuscation that I can only assume that by defending him you think I'm an idiot.