3 3
ST0RMTROOP3R

Freefall Data Systems Digialti

Has anyone used the new Digialti from Freefall Data Systems? I am looking at it as my first digital alti and want to know if there are any positives or negatives I should know about before making my purchase. Any info or insight would be appreciated. ✌

Here is a link to the alti on chutingstar.com for reference: https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/altimeters/digital-altimeters/digialti-digital-altimeter-led-lightbar

(edited)
1 hour ago, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

Has anyone used the new Digialti from Freefall Data Systems? I am looking at it as my first digital alti and want to know if there are any positives or negatives I should know about before making my purchase. Any info or insight would be appreciated. ✌

Here is a link to the alti on chutingstar.com for reference: https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/altimeters/digital-altimeters/digialti-digital-altimeter-led-lightbar

I like the supposedly tough glass and aluminum case, as the original version of the sonoalti felt cheaply designed and made.  I like the font shape, which is similar to the Neptune/Atlas, much better than the awful font of the Viso/Ares.

Expect low resale value.

My advice is to not increase your altitude awareness with lights on your visual altimeter.  If you really like the idea of lights, wouldn't one of the systems to have lights visible in the helmet be better?  Don't be the guy wasting precious freefall time looking at your fancy lightshow of a visual alti before breakoff. Consider what audible altimeter(s) would work to obtain the altitude awareness you seek.  There are lots of interesting audible products.

Edited by sundevil777
  • Like 1

(edited)
21 hours ago, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

If you're going for a digital altimeter I'd go with either the Dekunu One or the AON2 X2. You can also find them on ChutingStar. Skydive Vibes has a video comparing the two altimeters:

I have the Dekunu One SmartAlti. https://dekunu.tech/dekunu-one

It's more expensive than the altimeter you posted, but I think it's worth it. The display is great, it has a bar at the top that changes colors based on altitude. Plus the cloud features are fantastic, and the customer support is quick and responsive.

I can let you borrow it to test it out before you buy. Let me know next time you're going to Kpow.

Edit: This is Rob from Kpow by the way (blue G4 helmet).

Edited by SpeakerMonkey

23 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

I like the supposedly tough glass and aluminum case, as the original version of the sonoalti felt cheaply designed and made.  I like the font shape, which is similar to the Neptune/Atlas, much better than the awful font of the Viso/Ares.

Expect low resale value.

My advice is to not increase your altitude awareness with lights on your visual altimeter.  If you really like the idea of lights, wouldn't one of the systems to have lights visible in the helmet be better?  Don't be the guy wasting precious freefall time looking at your fancy lightshow of a visual alti before breakoff. Consider what audible altimeter(s) would work to obtain the altitude awareness you seek.  There are lots of interesting audible products.

Some very good points. I didn't really think of it as almost a distraction. I already have a VOG audible alti that I LOVE. Thank you for your input!

3 hours ago, SpeakerMonkey said:

If you're going for a digital altimeter I'd go with either the Dekunu One or the AON2 X2. You can also find them on ChutingStar. Skydive Vibes has a video comparing the two altimeters:

I have the Dekunu One SmartAlti. https://dekunu.tech/dekunu-one

It's more expensive than the altimeter you posted, but I think it's worth it. The display is great, it has a bar at the top that changes colors based on altitude. Plus the cloud features are fantastic, and the customer support is quick and responsive.

I can let you borrow it to test it out before you buy. Let me know next time you're going to Kpow.

Edit: This is Rob from Kpow by the way (blue G4 helmet).

That would be great! At least to take a look at it. I have heard mixed reviews on these altimeters because they are so new also. I would love to take a look if we can ever find each other haha. I have a lime green G4 with the blue tinted visor and STORMTROOPER on the side. Thanks for the input!

20 hours ago, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

Some very good points. I didn't really think of it as almost a distraction. I already have a VOG audible alti that I LOVE. Thank you for your input!

Why did you go with the VOG audible over others on the market? I'm looking to get an audible soon but am unsure which one to go with.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, SpeakerMonkey said:

Why did you go with the VOG audible over others on the market? I'm looking to get an audible soon but am unsure which one to go with.

I loved the idea of the speaking audible. It has rave reviews from anyone that has tried it. There are a few people at Kpow that have them and when I asked they all said it was amazing to have the spoken altitudes in your ear. Most of them are wingsuit guys too so they have a ton of experience and figured I would go with it. It doesn't track your jumps yet but I figured that if I get a good digital alti then it will do that for me and the audible will do just what it is meant to...keep me aware of my altitude while I don't have my wrist in view. They are still continually working on updates for more features in the future. If you want to try mine out sometime I would be happy to let you. We can do a trade for a jump or two if you like? I can try your digital alti and you can try my VOG. I added you on insta so I will let you know next time I am headed to the DZ.

Edited by ST0RMTROOP3R

3 hours ago, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

I loved the idea of the speaking audible. It has rave reviews from anyone that has tried it. There are a few people at Kpow that have them and when I asked they all said it was amazing to have the spoken altitudes in your ear. Most of them are wingsuit guys too so they have a ton of experience and figured I would go with it. It doesn't track your jumps yet but I figured that if I get a good digital alti then it will do that for me and the audible will do just what it is meant to...keep me aware of my altitude while I don't have my wrist in view. They are still continually working on updates for more features in the future. If you want to try mine out sometime I would be happy to let you. We can do a trade for a jump or two if you like? I can try your digital alti and you can try my VOG. I added you on insta so I will let you know next time I am headed to the DZ.

With a VOG audible, there is especially no reason to be looking at your visual alti while jumping with others. Your eyes should be able to confirm that your audible isn't crazy, even at break-off time, you don't need to look at your alti nearly as often as you likely are. It is a big time waster when you should be concentrating on flying with others.

3 minutes ago, sundevil777 said:

With a VOG audible, there is especially no reason to be looking at your visual alti while jumping with others. Your eyes should be able to confirm that your audible isn't crazy, even at break-off time, you don't need to look at your alti nearly as often as you likely are. It is a big time waster when you should be concentrating on flying with others.

Good point. I think really the only reason I want a good digital alti is to have it track my jumps so I can get more accurate exit height and free fall times in my log book. Right now I have a STELLA analog alti that works great it just doesn't do any of the fancy tracking that I wish I had. Some day the VOG is supposed to support it but not as of yet.

(edited)

How accurate is the VOG? I have an Altitrack for gross altitude and logging but I would love an audible that is accurate for canopy landings at lower altitudes 1,000', 600', 300' etc...

Edit - Not for swooping...

Tim

Edited by tstar
Added info

2 minutes ago, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

Good point. I think really the only reason I want a good digital alti is to have it track my jumps so I can get more accurate exit height and free fall times in my log book. Right now I have a STELLA analog alti that works great it just doesn't do any of the fancy tracking that I wish I had. Some day the VOG is supposed to support it but not as of yet.

Consider whether logging features are actually worth it.  I like my digital alti because it is a lot less bulky than an analog alti, and the precision while under canopy is appreciated.

There are 2 Neptune 3 visual/audible altis for sale in the classifieds here. They do all the logging stuff.  If I didn't already have a Neptune 2 that still works great, I would buy one of them.

43 minutes ago, tstar said:

How accurate is the VOG? I have an Altitrack for gross altitude and logging but I would love an audible that is accurate for canopy landings at lower altitudes 1,000', 600', 300' etc...

Tim

I'm not really sure what you're asking. I doubt there are any altimeters on the market that aren't accurate.

(edited)
1 hour ago, tstar said:

Tim

I have stared at my Stella Analog alti for almost a whole skydive and the VOG was dead on the whole time! During landing patterns it makes it a no brainer what altitude I am at, it clearly says one thousand...six hundred etc. so I know exactly how high I am without having to take my eyes off the landing. I would recommend it to anyone...just an fyi it ships from overseas so it takes a bit to get to the US but they were quick to reply to my emails when I got worried it might not have made it to me. The picture is what the app looks like. You can choose what altitudes you want it to say. I just keep them all on.

P.S. I don't swoop either lol

403A741F-9873-4A11-B853-D02702FD9AF9.png

Edited by ST0RMTROOP3R
Added photo of VOG app

9 hours ago, nwt said:

I'm not really sure what you're asking. I doubt there are any altimeters on the market that aren't accurate.

LB states in the manual for the Altitrack that it displays the present altitude at +/- 10ft. I couldn't find any specs on the VOG, so I'm curious what it's accuracy is. That's all...

Tim

(edited)
7 hours ago, tstar said:

LB states in the manual for the Altitrack that it displays the present altitude at +/- 10ft. I couldn't find any specs on the VOG, so I'm curious what it's accuracy is. That's all...

Tim

Sorry, I haven't seen any accuracy specs either. But I have about 200 jumps with it and haven't had any problems. I absolutely love it.

e: Also if you go to their website you can hear a demo of what it sounds like.

Edited by nwt

Just wanted to update this post to say I found a local jumper that had a Viso II+ for sale and jumped on it. It will do well for me as my first digital Altimeter. Maybe in the coming years if the FFDS DigiAlti becomes the "one to have" I can upgrade then but for now a tried and true L&B alti will be what I use. Thanks again for all the replies.

• Like 1