5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Seems the latest excuse is that the documents the FBI planted were declassified automatically when Trump took them with him.

Unfortunately for Trump, documents do not have to be classified for him to run afoul of the law.  For some of those laws, the documents don't even have to be defense related.

He can get:

* Three years in prison (and cannot hold Federal office for life) for concealment, mutilation and/or removal of government documents.

* Up to twenty years for concealing records to obstruct an investigation, which he did by refusing to give back the documents when asked, again refusing after meeting with officials at Mar a Largo, and then ignoring the subpoena of the documents.

* Possibly espionage, if the documents (classified or not) related to defence.  Gathering, transmitting or losing national defence documents is illegal, and is 10 year Federal felony. 

20 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Seems the latest excuse is that the documents the FBI planted were declassified automatically when Trump took them with him.

It doesn't work that way.

Pure and simple, while the president can unilaterally 'declassify' certain things, he can't do it with everything.

And 'nuke stuff' isn't on the list of what he can.

22 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

People are saying that documents were declassified automatically as they fell past the rim of the toilet bowl.

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

People are saying that documents were declassified automatically as they fell past the rim of the toilet bowl.

I need some help here. Armed Trump supporters are outside the Phoenix FBI office protesting. They're saying:

"We're here in support of Trump, for what happened to him, the unlawful search with the FBI at his Mar-a-Lago home," "We are sick and tired of this tyrannical government called the Biden regime. We will not stand by and we will not stand down.

"We're gonna take the fight to the FBI if need be."

Is this the correct thread or should this information be in the Second Amendment thread? What about the President Potty thread or the FBI Excuses thread? Perhaps we should just combine them all and start  a Future of America Thread in Bonfire.

(edited)
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

I need some help here. Armed Trump supporters are outside the Phoenix FBI office protesting. They're saying:

"We're here in support of Trump, for what happened to him, the unlawful search with the FBI at his Mar-a-Lago home," "We are sick and tired of this tyrannical government called the Biden regime. We will not stand by and we will not stand down.

"We're gonna take the fight to the FBI if need be."

Is this the correct thread or should this information be in the Second Amendment thread? What about the President Potty thread or the FBI Excuses thread? Perhaps we should just combine them all and start  a Future of America Thread in Bonfire.

Started that thread a long time ago, titled along the line of The US is a Banana Republic. 

People got very upset. 

edited to add: it wasn’t in Bonfire though. 

Edited by SkyDekker

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

Started that thread a long time ago, titled along the line of The US is a Banana Republic. 

People got very upset. 

edited to add: it wasn’t in Bonfire though. 

Yes. As you'll no doubt recall that roused my ire in particular to the point where I felt personal confrontation was required. Of course, sometime later I was forced admit my error and concede the point, just to get that out of the way. So which thread should we use?

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Yes. As you'll no doubt recall that roused my ire in particular to the point where I felt personal confrontation was required. Of course, sometime later I was forced admit my error and concede the point, just to get that out of the way. So which thread should we use?

I'd say let bygones be bygones and start a brand new Future of the USA thread as you suggested...

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

A forest fire consumes everything. Including banana groves.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Politico: Justice Department subpoenas former Trump White House lawyer Eric Herschmann

Considering his candid testimony before the Jan 6 Committee, I would expect him to be quite cooperative.

Garland is not screwing around. DOJ filed today to keep the supporting affidavit under wraps. The filing won't read well to Trump or his lawyers.

doj-filing.pdf

8/16/22.  By Tom Winter, Jonathan Dienst, Adam Reiss and Ryan J. Reilly

Former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg is expected to plead guilty to criminal charges tied to his indictment by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office in an investigation of former President Donald Trump's businesses, according to two people familiar with the matter and a public court filing.

Weisselberg is expected to be sentenced to 5 months in jail as part of that plea which could come as soon as Thursday morning, the two sources said.

Other terms of the plea were not immediately disclosed, but the sources said that Weisselberg is expected to cooperate against the Trump Organization itself. There is no indication he will cooperate in any investigation into the former president, however.

WaPo: Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers — but he keeps hearing ‘No’

The former president’s current legal team includes a Florida insurance lawyer who’s never had a federal case, a past general counsel for a parking-garage company and a former host at far-right One America News

It's hard to believe there aren't top-level attorneys just rushing to defend a client who won't take their advice, nor pay them. My advice:

Better Call Saul

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ryoder said:

It's hard to believe there aren't top-level attorneys just rushing to defend a client who won't take their advice, nor pay them. My advice:

Better Call Saul

You don’t need a criminal lawyer, you need a criminal lawyer!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kallend said:
There is no indication he will cooperate in any investigation into the former president, however.

Hi John,

I'm thinking that they are saying that just to give Weisselberg some cover.  When faced with prison, it is always amazing how talkative people become.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Rats leaving a sinking ship.

11 minutes ago, ryoder said:

This confirms some speculation I have been reading since the news broke of his plea deal:

NYT: Plea Deal Requires Weisselberg to Testify at Trump Organization Trial

Hi Robert,

Looks like he won't be the only one testifying:  

a lawyer for Jennifer Weisselberg, said the district attorney's office asked to schedule a meeting with Jennifer Weisselberg, the former daughter-in-law of Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg, 

'They've indicated to us that she's a key witness for the trial'

Jennifer Weisselberg Set to Testify in Trump Organization Trial (businessinsider.com)

Jerry Baumchen