5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

That would be trump appointee, FBI director Christopher Wray who is approving and directing all this. Oh the horror of backstabbing, ungrateful, disloyal people. 

I love the schadenfreude of it all.

Where are our righties? I mean they're all for FBI warrants and jail time for documents miscreants and accountability and law and order. Must be they're all offline and on vacation.

55 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Where are our righties? I mean they're all for FBI warrants and jail time for documents miscreants and accountability and law and order. Must be they're all offline and on vacation.

Hi Joe,

I think they are trying to come up with a better term than, 'I misspoke,' since they have been saying that anyone who takes the fifth must be hiding something.

Jerry Baumchen

15 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Today: Former President Donald Trump invokes Fifth Amendment rights and declines to answer questions from NY attorney general So just another American  mob family using the law to protect themselves from it.

Unlike criminal cases, where that fact that the defendant pleaded the 5th when being questioned during the investigation cannot be introduced by the prosecution in court, this is a civil case.  When this case goes to court, the jury can be told that Trump pleaded the 5th, and what that means (that if he were to testify truthfully, it might tend to give evidence of his criminal behavior). 

(edited)

"I've never done anything wrong.  Nobody can prove that I ever did anything wrong...It's pretty tough when a citizen with an unblemished record must be hounded from his home...I am feeling very bad - very bad.  How would you feel if the police, paid to protect you, acted towards you like they [acted] toward me?" 

Edited by headoverheels

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

And they all cheered along when Trump said suspects should be treated rough. People being arrested should have their heads smashed against door frames, and if any of ‘those’ suspects gets to the station with two black eyes or worse that’s all part of the process.

But carry out a fully legal search warrant against a private citizen who just happens to be a right wing darling and suddenly that’s too heavy handed. That’s weaponisation of justice. That’s unprecedented persecution.

Bunch of hypocritical whining fucking snowflakes.

• Like 2

NBC News Aug. 10, 2022, 8:52 PM CDT

By Adam Reiss, Chantal Da Silva and Rebecca Shabad

Former President Donald Trump invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination Wednesday during a deposition before lawyers from New York Attorney General Letitia James' office in its probe into the Trump Organization's business practices.

The deposition lasted four hours, and the only question the former president answered was about his name, Trump attorney Ron Fischetti told NBC News.

A source with knowledge of the deposition said Trump took the fifth more than 440 times.

Apparently he also said something like "now I understand why innocent people take the Fifth," thereby acknowledging that he might not, in fact, have been perfect before. Also, since the same court and head DA has a criminal action against him, he sought (and got) a ruling that he can take the Fifth in the civil proceeding, because of the very real potential of crossover.

While I'd love to see him tied to a bed and tickled mercilessly on video (the complete lack of dignity and eventual begging), that's actually a fair ruling, too. Dammit.

Wendy P.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:02 PM, SkyDekker said:

That much vision? You can faithfully rely on Trump to do one thing and one thing consistently, monetize whatever he can get his hands on. 

Even the "FBI Raid" is already being used for fundraising purposes. Why do you think he was (other than a local reporter) the first one to announce it?

And when it comes to Trump, I am not sure he understands words like spite and petulance, but he certainly understands money.

I have to give him credit for that. As soon as he was raided by the FBI. A fundraiser. After taking the fifth in NY. A fund raiser.

No average person would have such gall. But tens of millions flow in. Its the same with Jones. He will be back on the air. Spin some B.S. and the cash will flow in. Its as if trump and Jones were evangelical televangelists on steroids.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Apparently he also said something like "now I understand why innocent people take the Fifth," thereby acknowledging that he might not, in fact, have been perfect before. Also, since the same court and head DA has a criminal action against him, he sought (and got) a ruling that he can take the Fifth in the civil proceeding, because of the very real potential of crossover.

But taking the fifth in that civil case still means it can be interpreted as an admission of guilt. On Twitter, attorney Tristan Snell (formerly with the NY AG) stated that the NY AG just got exactly what they wanted from that (non)testimony. See:

Law & Crime: Donald Trump’s Fifth Amendment Assertions Can Protect Him Criminally — But May Hurt Him in a Civil Case

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 06.20.04.png

Edited by ryoder

47 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I have to give him credit for that. As soon as he was raided by the FBI. A fundraiser. After taking the fifth in NY. A fund raiser.

No average person would have such gall. But tens of millions flow in. Its the same with Jones. He will be back on the air. Spin some B.S. and the cash will flow in. Its as if trump and Jones were evangelical televangelists on steroids.

In his tribute to his dead first wife, he included a fundraising pitch.

It's amazing how a man so rich (or at least he claims to be) has to beg for money as much as he does.

It's almost as if he isn't really as rich as he wants everyone to think.

Or he's so greedy that he will never have 'enough'.

Or both.

50 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

In his tribute to his dead first wife, he included a fundraising pitch.

It's amazing how a man so rich (or at least he claims to be) has to beg for money as much as he does.

It's almost as if he isn't really as rich as he wants everyone to think.

Or he's so greedy that he will never have 'enough'.

Or both.

The fundraising gives him both money and affirmation that people still love him. Those are both important in his world.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 12:16 PM, SkyDekker said:

If any of this is true, it is really bad:

https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/status/1556981527090716673?s=20&t=y80jz0eKtRzNciUzycMLkw

Really bad because Trump would only hold on to those documents for one reason: monetization.

Maybe, but I'm reminded that you shouldn't attribute to malice what can more easily be attributed to stupidity.  Trump was completely focused on overturning the election, and apparently believed he would succeed in remaining in office.  I'm certain that ensuring an orderly transition and complying with the federal presidential records act was the last thing on his mind.  I'd guess that anyone in the White House who suggested they start packing much before January 19th would have been pushed out of the presidential helicopter.  When the 20th was right around the corner and there was no time left, I suspect everything was just shoveled into boxes and moved.  Perhaps Trump and his cronies still believed he'd be back in a short while and nobody would notice the missing documents.  Maybe he thought it would mess with Biden's people when they couldn't figure out all these national security issues because the paperwork was missing.  Anyway once everything was in Florida, likely someone noticed that they had a big problem.  Instead of just admitting to the screwup and taking their lumps, they hid the incriminating documents in the safe and basically dared the "deep state" to come and get them.  Bad move.  All just speculation, but considering Trump's narcissism and disdain for government or following laws, more likely than speculating that he was going to sell highly classified documents to the Chinese or Russians, or maybe North Korea.

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Maybe, but I'm reminded that you shouldn't attribute to malice what can more easily be attributed to stupidity.  Trump was completely focused on overturning the election, and apparently believed he would succeed in remaining in office.  I'm certain that ensuring an orderly transition and complying with the federal presidential records act was the last thing on his mind.  I'd guess that anyone in the White House who suggested they start packing much before January 19th would have been pushed out of the presidential helicopter.  When the 20th was right around the corner and there was no time left, I suspect everything was just shoveled into boxes and moved.  Perhaps Trump and his cronies still believed he'd be back in a short while and nobody would notice the missing documents.  Maybe he thought it would mess with Biden's people when they couldn't figure out all these national security issues because the paperwork was missing.  Anyway once everything was in Florida, likely someone noticed that they had a big problem.  Instead of just admitting to the screwup and taking their lumps, they hid the incriminating documents in the safe and basically dared the "deep state" to come and get them.  Bad move.  All just speculation, but considering Trump's narcissism and disdain for government or following laws, more likely than speculating that he was going to sell highly classified documents to the Chinese or Russians, or maybe North Korea.

I wouldn't doubt that at all. In the meantime I'd also keep an eye out for any suspicious looking super yachts in international waters but within fast helicopter distance of Mar-a-Lago.

3 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Maybe, but I'm reminded that you shouldn't attribute to malice what can more easily be attributed to stupidity...

Or narcissism.

Regardless of whether or not Trump actually believed he'd be put back in the White House, we all know that his 'self importance' is paramount in his own mind.

He loved being 'important'. 

Important people have access to information that 'ordinary people' don't.

Important people don't have to follow all the rules that 'ordinary people' have to follow.

Regardless of how the classified material ended up in his possession (I think the idea that it got mixed up in all the chaos is likely to be close to reality), once he had it, he wasn't going to give it back without a fight.

It made him feel important. It made him feel like the government had to respect him.

What it really did was make him a criminal, and that the FBI would come and invade his house.

But he's a fucking self important fool, and it's (hopefully) going to cost him.

• Like 1

(edited)

15 boxes of Classified material on nuclear secrets, nuclear weapons. It sounds like trump was another Abdul Qadeer Khan with secrets to sell.

The trump version of a retirement fund. As he stated before "“I have declassification authority. I can do anything I want.”

What if MBS and the IRGC. Want their money back and trump can't repay them. Should the US just tell the secret service to stand down?

Edited by Phil1111

15 boxes of Classified material on nuclear secrets, nuclear weapons. It sounds like trump was another Abdul Qadeer Khan with secrets to sell.

The trump version of a retirement fund. As he stated before "“I have declassification authority. I can do anything I want.”

What if MBS and the IRGC. Want their money back and trump can't repay them. Should the US just tell the secret service to stand down?

Next up, if they found anything serious, raids at other Trump locations like Trump Tower where they make the best taco bowls.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/08/11/garland-trump-mar-a-lago/