5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

10 hours ago, ryoder said:

So roughly 90% of the US population is going to prison for life, i.e. about twice the number of voters in the last election. You can't make this shit up. (Well, unless you are Mr Pillow).

Just when you thought you had a whack job defined. a new definition arises.

5 hours ago, ryoder said:

Interview with attorney for leader of the Oathkeepers.

This interviewer is good!

TBF he is on a road to nowhere trying to defend these traitors. I guess he'll be getting his fees in advance. Would the military be able to recall the exservice members for courts martial, on top of the DOJ charges?  

11 hours ago, obelixtim said:

TBF he is on a road to nowhere trying to defend these traitors. I guess he'll be getting his fees in advance. Would the military be able to recall the exservice members for courts martial, on top of the DOJ charges?  

Every accused is entitled to a vigorous legal defense. It's one on the pillars of our legal system.
I don't begrudge even the most evil of these fascist, racist pigs a good mouthpiece.

And yes, that lawyer will be paid in advance.

As far as former military go, it's a bit complicated.

Retirees (drawing a pension) are subject to military law & prosecution (UCMJ). It's a rare occurrence, but it's an option.
Most 'regular' military end up in the reserves for a number of years after the regular enlistment is over. Those reservists are subject to UCMJ.

For veterans who didn't reach 'retirement' status (20 years of service), have been discharged and completed the reserve commitment, they are 'free and clear'.
They cannot be charged in a military court for any civilian crimes.

(Usual disclaimer: This is how I understand it. I may be wrong. If someone knows better, I welcome correction.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Every accused is entitled to a vigorous legal defense. It's one on the pillars of our legal system.
I don't begrudge even the most evil of these fascist, racist pigs a good mouthpiece.

And yes, that lawyer will be paid in advance.

As far as former military go, it's a bit complicated.

Retirees (drawing a pension) are subject to military law & prosecution (UCMJ). It's a rare occurrence, but it's an option.
Most 'regular' military end up in the reserves for a number of years after the regular enlistment is over. Those reservists are subject to UCMJ.

For veterans who didn't reach 'retirement' status (20 years of service), have been discharged and completed the reserve commitment, they are 'free and clear'.
They cannot be charged in a military court for any civilian crimes.

(Usual disclaimer: This is how I understand it. I may be wrong. If someone knows better, I welcome correction.)

Hi Joe,

Disclaimer:  Things may/probably have changed since I got out of the military.

After I was separated from active duty ( 3 yrs 10 mos 24 days ) I was req'd to go to my local draft board & inform them* of some things such as were I lived, etc.  Don't really remember those details.  However, I do remember that once my active duty ended, I was classified 5A.  This meant that I had completed my active duty ( the 5 ) & was physically able ( the A ) to serve.

IMO of the opinion ( I'll be glad to be corrected ) that anyone can be drafted at anytime should the nation need you.  

Keith, what can you tell us?

Jerry Baumchen

* The draft board had no idea of what I was talking about.  I actually had to show them the regulation regarding this.

35 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

After I was separated from active duty ( 3 yrs 10 mos 24 days ) I was req'd to go to my local draft board & inform them* of some things such as were I lived, etc.  Don't really remember those details.  However, I do remember that once my active duty ended, I was classified 5A.  This meant that I had completed my active duty ( the 5 ) & was physically able ( the A ) to serve.

IMO of the opinion ( I'll be glad to be corrected ) that anyone can be drafted at anytime should the nation need you.  

Jerry Baumchen

* The draft board had no idea of what I was talking about.  I actually had to show them the regulation regarding this.

Hi Jerry, 

It would take an act of Congress to reinstate the draft. Once that happens, there are age limitations on who can be drafted.

All people 18-26 are required to register, although there's no actual draft right now.

Both you and I are too old to be drafted, although I was registered when I was the appropriate age.

This is all available on the Selective Service site.

https://www.sss.gov/about/return-to-draft/

(edited)
On 1/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Morning, Jerry. 

My apologies for missing this. Some days I read and others I skim, so I musta been in skimming mode that day. What you were referring to is the Military Service Obligation. It is comprised primarily of Soldiers who need to fulfill their Military Service Obligation (MSO) under Section 651 of Title 10 USC. One actually signs up for six or eight years, but does half of that on active duty, then the rest is done by being in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). Many think they are "done" when they get their DD214, but they're not. And, in some essential MOS's one can be called up much longer than that depending on the MSO (but they sign a document of understanding when they're given that MOS' contract).  Back then, we had to go register in the IRR (as you did), but nowadays it's all electronic. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/651  

Edited by BIGUN

The DOJ is now investigating the fraudulent electors who sent fraudulent documents to Congress and the National Archives declaring that Trump won the election in their states.   One of the charges that can be brought, since they delivered the papers by USPS, is fraud using the US mail -- a 20 year felony.   I expect that this will provide leverage leading upstream to the instigators. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, obelixtim said:

The flipping will resemble a pancake convention. Lots of rats scrambling for the lifeboats. They signed their names, prosecution should be a slam dunk. Hopefully they throw them all in the slammer. No plea deals hopefully...

Doubtful.

#1 - Plea deals save a lot of time & money. They also remove any chance for something 'weird' happening during the trial.

#2 - Plea deals almost always include cooperating with the prosecution.
The idea that these people came up with this is pretty ludicrous. 
The folks who directed it are the real targets. There's a very strong case for conspiracy against people who did nothing actually illegal themselves (didn't forge documents), but directed others to commit those crimes.

I'd really like to see the people 'at the top' face consequences.
Not super confident it will actually happen, but I'm hopeful.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:30 AM, headoverheels said:

The DOJ is now investigating the fraudulent electors who sent fraudulent documents to Congress and the National Archives declaring that Trump won the election in their states.   One of the charges that can be brought, since they delivered the papers by USPS, is fraud using the US mail -- a 20 year felony.   I expect that this will provide leverage leading upstream to the instigators. 

And the Jan 6 Committee is subpoenaing 14 of them.

I hope long prison terms are in their future.

• Like 4