5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

Hi folks,

And the losing keeps going on and on and . . . :  Former President Donald Trump filed an emergency request to a federal judge late Monday night to prevent the National Archives from sending sensitive records to Jan. 6 committee investigators by Friday. And just after midnight, Judge Tanya Chutkan rejected it

Trump makes — and loses — overnight bid to block Jan. 6 investigators - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

7 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

And the losing keeps going on and on and . . . :  Former President Donald Trump filed an emergency request to a federal judge late Monday night to prevent the National Archives from sending sensitive records to Jan. 6 committee investigators by Friday. And just after midnight, Judge Tanya Chutkan rejected it

Trump makes — and loses — overnight bid to block Jan. 6 investigators - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

That ruling means nothing her next ruling is much more important. My guess is she will deny the original request, but issue the stay pending appeal.

Hi folks,

Some update info on the 6 Jan rioters:

N.J. man charged in Capitol riot sentenced to harshest prison term yet for Jan. 6 insurrection - oregonlive.com

US Capitol rioter who fled to Belarus says he may seek asylum there - CNNPolitics

I think, so far, that the gov't is getting them all to plead.  It takes a goodly amount of money to present a decent defense; and, little chance of winning.

And, if Evan Neumann thinks living in Belarus is better than here; well, good luck with that.

Jerry Baumchen

43 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Some update info on the 6 Jan rioters:

N.J. man charged in Capitol riot sentenced to harshest prison term yet for Jan. 6 insurrection - oregonlive.com

US Capitol rioter who fled to Belarus says he may seek asylum there - CNNPolitics

I think, so far, that the gov't is getting them all to plead.  It takes a goodly amount of money to present a decent defense; and, little chance of winning.

And, if Evan Neumann thinks living in Belarus is better than here; well, good luck with that.

Jerry Baumchen

And how odd that a Trump supporter would flee to a Russian satellite country . . . .

9 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

My understanding is that something over 30 defendants already have a trial date scheduled, and more all the time.  Likely defense in many cases will be that their President ordered the action.

9 hours ago, headoverheels said:

My understanding is that something over 30 defendants already have a trial date scheduled, and more all the time.  Likely defense in many cases will be that their President ordered the action.

Then they are likely to spend a lot of time and money finding out that illegal orders are not a defense.

14 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Hi heels,

Well, that did not work so well at the Nuremberg trials.

Jerry Baumchen

14 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Something that just occurred to me, reading Jerry's response (which is more or less the same as mine):

Can a President give orders to a civilian?

He's Commander in Chief of the military, so he can give orders to them and expect them to be obeyed, but does he have any REAL authority over civilians?

I don't think so. I mean, he can give orders to his people, and some of them have authority over me (cops, Secret Service, ect), but I don't think I have to obey a direct order from the President.
If so, a LOT of those people willing to obey Trump will be rather offended that they have to obey Biden. Or would have had to obey Obama.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Something that just occurred to me, reading Jerry's response (which is more or less the same as mine):

Can a President give orders to a civilian?

He's Commander in Chief of the military, so he can give orders to them and expect them to be obeyed, but does he have any REAL authority over civilians?

I don't think so. I mean, he can give orders to his people, and some of them have authority over me (cops, Secret Service, ect), but I don't think I have to obey a direct order from the President.
If so, a LOT of those people willing to obey Trump will be rather offended that they have to obey Biden. Or would have had to obey Obama.

Imagine for a minute you'd had a lobotomy and became a republican. Either republican or democrat politicians are ordering you to get covid vaccinations. You tune into FOX to make sure you know all the facts.

I'm sort of paraphrasing your dilemma. But in the end you're correct.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

Imagine for a minute you'd had a lobotomy and became a republican. Either republican or democrat politicians are ordering you to get covid vaccinations. You tune into FOX to make sure you know all the facts.

Hi Phil,

Re:  Imagine for a minute you'd had a lobotomy and became a republican.

Hey, knock it off; I have enough bad dreams as it is.

Jerry Baumchen

2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

Re:  Imagine for a minute you'd had a lobotomy and became a republican.

Hey, knock it off; I have enough bad dreams as it is.

Jerry Baumchen

The cold sweat you feel is knowing how close you came and yet knowing you avoided the mental hell.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Ok, I have NO CLUE what I just did.

I tried to edit a post and ended up with four of them.
I tried to delete them and only edit one and nothing wanted to work the way I thought it should.

Oh well.

Here goes again:
Not my dilemma. I've never been ordered by the President to do anything, either for real or in my delusional imagination.

But the question of "can a civilian be ordered to do something by the President, and if that order was legal (this one wouldn't have been), can that be used as justification in court?" is still a question that is in my mind.

8 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

And, let's hope he keeps right on going.

I see where Mark Meadows failed to show up today.  I think this indictment of Bannon may just getting him to re-think his actions.

Jerry Baumchen

Mid-terms in one year. They will simply run out the clock and hope for a return to the majority in Congress. And it will almost certainly work. Sad. 

• Like 1