2 2
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

Recommended Posts

Looks like Trump just publicly admitted that the charges against his company are valid.  He gave a speech last night, and the gist of it was not "we didn't do it" but that "we did it but everyone else does it so it's not fair to prosecute us for it."

One of the charges against the Trump organization is tax fraud - compensating people by buying them cars, apartments, or paying for their kids' education.  This of course means they can pay someone $20,000 a year (and thus they pay almost no tax) but pay for their living expenses, their travel, their kids, their cars and pretty much anything else they need.  The company saves money and the person so compensated makes more money, because neither party pays any tax.

Here's what Trump had to say about that scheme: 

"Never before has New York City and their prosecutors or perhaps any prosecutors criminally charged a company or a person for fringe benefits. Fringe benefits. Murders, OK; human trafficking, no problem. But fringe benefits, you can't do that. They go after good hard-working people for not paying taxes on a company car. Company car. You didn't pay tax on the car, or a company apartment, you used an apartment because you need an apartment, because you have to travel too far where your house is, didn't pay tax, or education for your grandchildren, I don't even know. Do you have to, does anybody know the answer to that stuff? OK? But they indict people for that."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

17 hours ago, billvon said:

.....Here's what Trump had to say about that scheme: 

"Never before has New York City and their prosecutors or perhaps any prosecutors criminally charged a company or a person for fringe benefits. Fringe benefits...

 

49 minutes ago, kallend said:

No, Donald, not everyone cheats and underpays on their taxes.

Just people like you.

At trump enterprises taxes are for little people. When trump talks to his base of little people at his rallies. Their accountants aren't around to explain the nuances of fraud and tax planning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2021 at 1:43 PM, ryoder said:

Here is an odd bit of news that I haven't read about anywhere else:

 

Statements of reprimand roll off the backs of lawyers. Like drops of water of a ducks back. Unless they are sanctioned with fines or costs its all moot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this was striking.

Donald Trump, 2021: "If you say it enough and keep saying it, they'll start to believe you." 

Joseph Goebbels, 1941: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, billvon said:

Thought this was striking.

Donald Trump, 2021: "If you say it enough and keep saying it, they'll start to believe you." 

Joseph Goebbels, 1941: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Exact same tactic the neo-cons used to lead the nation to a holy war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, billvon said:

Thought this was striking.

Donald Trump, 2021: "If you say it enough and keep saying it, they'll start to believe you." 

Joseph Goebbels, 1941: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Many people have been calling the 'stolen election' claims the "Big Lie".

And the morons just eat it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ryoder said:

trump's pissed that he missed out on that 10k. So he sued Google, Facebook and Twitter together with their CEOs.

"Shortly after the news conference wrapped, Trump’s political entities started sending out fundraising messages that touted the lawsuits in their appeals for money. One such text message, written as if it were coming from Trump himself, includes a link to his joint fundraising committee Save America, which also raises money for other Republican political initiatives."

trump and the GOP both know the GOP base is a bottomless pit of cash equally matched with stupidity.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

trump's pissed that he missed out on that 10k. So he sued Google, Facebook and Twitter together with their CEOs.

"Shortly after the news conference wrapped, Trump’s political entities started sending out fundraising messages that touted the lawsuits in their appeals for money. One such text message, written as if it were coming from Trump himself, includes a link to his joint fundraising committee Save America, which also raises money for other Republican political initiatives."

trump and the GOP both know the GOP base is a bottomless pit of cash equally matched with stupidity.

spacer.png

Hi Phil,

Re:   So he sued Google, Facebook and Twitter together with their CEOs.

As I was reading about that today, I got to thinking about all of the law firms that Trump has stiffed over the years.  From what I have read, most law firms in NYC will not even talk to him.

His current lawyers are probably those that could not get a job at the local Public Defender's office.  :`o

As I posted:  The Forgotten Person

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

Re:   So he sued Google, Facebook and Twitter together with their CEOs.

As I was reading about that today, I got to thinking about all of the law firms that Trump has stiffed over the years.  From what I have read, most law firms in NYC will not even talk to him.

He can use Rudy Giuliani.  I mean, he's a lawyer in good standing.  Right?  Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ryoder said:

This is actually pretty extrodinary. 

When you posted about New York suspending it, saying 'what a shame', my response was going to be something like - Yeah, it's a damned shame they only suspended it instead of revoking it.

Then I read deeper and realized that Giuliani has yet to have a disciplinary hearing.
He's only had the Bar equivalent of a preliminary hearing. Yet his behavior was so egregious, so blatant, so stupid that they suspended his license immediately.

He's arguing that he's being punished without a 'fair trial', which has some merit.
The court has said the behavior is such that he represents a danger to the public and so they took away his license. 

It's not super hard to get a lawyer disbarred for cause, if the cause is sufficient.
But the process is pretty long and involved.
And as I understand, the lawyer keeps his license until the proceedings are done. 

 

Giuliani has done enough, and blatanly enough that he doesn't get to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

Re:   So he sued Google, Facebook and Twitter together with their CEOs.

As I was reading about that today, I got to thinking about all of the law firms that Trump has stiffed over the years.  From what I have read, most law firms in NYC will not even talk to him.

His current lawyers are probably those that could not get a job at the local Public Defender's office.  :`o

As I posted:  The Forgotten Person

Jerry Baumchen

Hi folks,

Re:  His current lawyers are probably those that could not get a job at the local Public Defender's office.

And:  One Trump backer also joked that "We've gone through all the lawyers and are now down to law students."

'How come I always get the worst lawyers?': Trump seethed that he had the 'stupidest' attorneys in his second impeachment trial, book says (msn.com)

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently several "Kraken" lawyers ended up defending their licenses to practice law.  Apparently the hearing was a shitshow.  At one point the judge asked if they thought they had any responsibility to do basic sanity checks (i.e. "is this true?") for items they presented before the court.  One Kraken said she hadn't read it before presenting it.

Judge: "You didn't feel that you needed to read it?"

Kraken: "Your Honor...what standard are you using here?"

Judge:  "I'm looking at the standards that are set forth in the variety of options I have to impose sanctions on you!"

At one point the judge asked who had drafted one of the affidavits.  They said they didn't know; perhaps it was a lawyer on another case?  No one really knew.

Another time, the attorney representing all the Krakens (Donald Campbell) yelled “I am not a potted plant!”

At the end one of the Krakens - Julia Haller - started to cry.  A year ago we had the crying Nazi; now we have the crying Kraken.  Fun times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
50 minutes ago, billvon said:

Recently several "Kraken" lawyers ended up defending their licenses to practice law. .....

At the end one of the Krakens - Julia Haller - started to cry.  A year ago we had the crying Nazi; now we have the crying Kraken.  Fun times.

These lawyers aren't totally stupid. An affidavit is a sworn statement. When a lawyer submits it they swear it to be true. Hence "nobody read it"  The entire"matter" is a sham. They know what happened to Giuliani and they want to avoid discipline themselves. I'm surprised that when the male lawyers witness the crying they didn't go for a hail Mary themselves. Perhaps prostrating themselves at the foot of the bench then wailing and crying. Like a world cup soccer player trying to draw a yellow card against an opponent.

Edited by Phil1111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, Phil1111 said:

trump's pissed that he missed out on that 10k. So he sued Google, Facebook and Twitter together with their CEOs.

Don't think he has. He has just announced he plans to. So he can fundraise off the announcement. Highly likely the lawsuit never happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That is not how it works.

Wherever, under any law of the United States or under any rule, regulation, order, or requirement made pursuant to law, any matter is required or permitted to be supported, evidenced, established, or proved by the sworn declaration, verification, certificate, statement, oath, or affidavit, in writing of the person making the same (other than a deposition, or an oath of office, or an oath required to be taken before a specified official other than a notary public), such matter may, with like force and effect, be supported, evidenced, established, or proved by the unsworn declaration, certificate, verification, or statement, in writing of such person which is subscribed by him, as true under penalty of perjury, and dated, in substantially the following form:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Wherever, under any law of the United States or under any rule, regulation, order, or requirement made pursuant to law, any matter is required or permitted to be supported, evidenced, established, or proved by the sworn declaration, verification, certificate, statement, oath, or affidavit, in writing of the person making the same (other than a deposition, or an oath of office, or an oath required to be taken before a specified official other than a notary public), such matter may, with like force and effect, be supported, evidenced, established, or proved by the unsworn declaration, certificate, verification, or statement, in writing of such person which is subscribed by him, as true under penalty of perjury, and dated, in substantially the following form:

Indeed. They put their signature on it. You seemed to imply that claiming they didn't read it was a solid defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

2 2