5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

It finally happened! Republican former President convicted of corruption and obstruction of justice while in office, sentenced to three years house arrest. 

Oh wait, no - President of France. So close! Kudos on offering the judge a cushy posting in Monte Carlo though. Even when the French do corruption they do it with that je ne sais quoi.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65620064

Enrique Tarrio, leader of the Proud Boys, had an informant inside the Washington DC metro police.

That informant passed along all sorts of useful info to Tarrio, then lied to investigators about it.

Shane Lemond was arrested Thursday.

One message he sent to Tarrio was "Of course I can’t say it officially, but personally I support you all and don’t want to see your group’s name or reputation dragged through the mud.”

Right. Because the Proud Boys have such a sterling name and stellar reputatation.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shane-lamond-dc-police-proud-boys-enrique-tarrio/

On 5/10/2023 at 8:35 AM, Phil1111 said:

"In the hours that followed, Mr. Trump continued to criticize the case.

“This is another scam,” Mr. Trump said in a video posted on his Truth Social platform, one of a series of posts that continued into Wednesday morning. “It’s a political witch hunt.”

Mr. Trump said in the video that Ms. Carroll had been financed “by Democrat operatives,” and that “she totally lied about it.”

So the judge warned trump about his social media statements regarding this matter. Now trump wants to appeal. I can see the defense motion now. We want the damages expanded because clearly trump doesn't seem to appreciate the consequences about defamatory statements.

On 5/17/2023 at 11:18 AM, billvon said:

Interesting.

A court found Trump guilty of sexual abuse, meaning that, by definition, he met and abused E Jean Carroll.  He immediately went on CNN and claimed once again that "he never met her" and said that she told a " fake...made up story."

Given that there is photographic evidence that he met her, and given that there is a legal decision that he sexually abused her, that is once again slander.  And it looks like Carroll will be filing her next lawsuit fairly soon: "It's definitely actionable. And here the cruelty will make him less wealthy. He's not going to get away with it another time."

Trump could become her gravy train.

"The court filing on Monday argues Mr. Trump’s defamatory statements following the May 9 verdict “show the depth of his malice toward Carroll, since it is hard to imagine defamatory conduct that could possibly be more motivated by hatred, ill will or spite.”...“This conduct supports a very substantial punitive damages award in Carroll’s favor both to punish Trump, to deter him from engaging in further defamation, and to deter others from doing the same,” the filing says."

Double damages seem appropriate. When political donors pay your legal fees and fines. I guess the lessons of judicial decisions have less effect when somebody else is paying the bills.

So anybody wanna bet that trump shoots his defamatory mouth off yet again?

E Jean Carroll filed two lawsuits against Trump.

The first was filed in 2019, and it still pending.

The second was field in 2022 under the new NY Adult Survivors Act, which makes exceptions to the statute of limitations. That was the one which was just concluded in her favor.

Well, there has been an update to the 2019 suit:

E. Jean Carroll Seeks Additional Damages After Trump’s CNN Town Hall

Reference on the suits: Wikipedia - E Jean Carroll - Defamation Lawsuit

2 hours ago, kallend said:

WaPo article analyzing Manhattan D.A. Bragg's possible strategy in his case against Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/05/22/bill-of-particulars-bragg/ 

Hi folks,

Here is a non-paywall version:  Opinion | Bragg spells out statutes that bump up Trump's charges - The Washington Post (archive.ph)

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lippy said:

Unfortunately, to this day he’s unable to see the depth of his crimes. 

The same could be said of Richard Barnett.
He's the guy who had his feet on Pelosi's desk.

He's claiming "he was the victim of "political persecution" and said the jury that convicted him was "not a jury of my peers.”

He got 4 1/2 years. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/jan-6-rioter-put-feet-desk-pelosi-office-sentenced-45-years-prison-rcna85848

3 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

He's claiming "he was the victim of "political persecution" and said the jury that convicted him was "not a jury of my peers.”

He got 4 1/2 years. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/jan-6-rioter-put-feet-desk-pelosi-office-sentenced-45-years-prison-rcna85848

Hi Joe,

Re:  "not a jury of my peers.”

On that, I would agree with him.

image.png.dd8f4a7fac48f5e1280dec7d6aa36ff7.png

Jerry Baumchen

10 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Re:  "not a jury of my peers.”

On that, I would agree with him.

image.png.dd8f4a7fac48f5e1280dec7d6aa36ff7.png

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

A 'jury of one's peers' does NOT mean 'people like me'.

It's a fair and impartial cross section of the community.

And, in this case, the community where the crime was committed. Not the backwater redneck shithole this moron comes from.

4 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

He got 4 1/2 years. 

Joe I always appreciate your well-written, insightful, thoughtful and entertaining posts here…..but you totally missed my one-eye joke!

This is interesting for the few of us who didn't notice: check out the white borders on these documents from Mar-a-Lago. The thing about white borders is that it means they're copies. That's what copy machines do. The original yellow document in the upper right bleeds to the border as the red bordered secret documents here also do. Apparently, according to a shit load of laws that alone is jail time for someone. 

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 7.31.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 7.32.25 PM.png

Oh, for chrissake!

Jan. 6th Convict Wants $370M From Parler for Banning Him

Troy Smocks was sentenced to 14 months in federal prison and banned from the now-dormant social network Parler after he made violent threats on the app in the wake of the January 6th riots. Now Smocks is suing Parler for $370 million, accusing the company of violating a controversial Texas law which bars social media platforms from censoring users for their political beliefs.

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Oh, for chrissake!

Jan. 6th Convict Wants $370M From Parler for Banning Him

Troy Smocks was sentenced to 14 months in federal prison and banned from the now-dormant social network Parler after he made violent threats on the app in the wake of the January 6th riots. Now Smocks is suing Parler for $370 million, accusing the company of violating a controversial Texas law which bars social media platforms from censoring users for their political beliefs.

Couldn't happen to nicer guys.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, normiss said:

Russherrr, if you're listening, can you find the missing top secret documents about invading Iran?

I wonder if this espionage charge, if it happens, can result in a no bail situation. It seems a simple argument to make that Trump will do or say anything to protect himself. Documents or no he was briefed on a lot of super secret stuff he might use.