5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Lighten up, man. You're long since done grading people and besides, personal experience very much equals data.

Except in this case it’s not the right data. Basically saying ‘this isn’t ever how it works because the one time it happened to me it didn’t work like that’. 

Not to mention the naivety of assuming that the justice system works the same for everyone and a very wealthy ex-President wouldn’t ever receive any special treatment that the little people don’t. 

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Dunno about that.  The current large FS world record is 400 people.  I know because I was on it.   Anecdote AND data.

One person's experience with the justice system does not define the parameters of the system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kallend said:

One person's experience with the justice system does not define the parameters of the system.

It certainly does define the parameters of HIS experience with the system.  And thus, we now know that sometimes people who are the subject of a Grand Jury are subpoena'ed.

7 hours ago, kallend said:

22 minutes ago, billvon said:

It certainly does define the parameters of HIS experience with the system.  And thus, we now know that sometimes people who are the subject of a Grand Jury are subpoena'ed.

His experience with the system was the likely foundation for his personal contempt and disregard for the rule of law.

As always there are independent rankings of the functioning of countries legal systems. 

For criminal justice:

Norway #1

Canada #12

UK #19

US #30   For the year(s)2017-18 The US ranked #20th. So it has fallen ten places over the last five years.

Russia #123  For the Year(s0 2017-18 Russia ranked #97th

So with a positive outlook Putin has done a better job engineering corruption in Russia's criminal justice system. Over the last five years than trump and the GOP.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Which was absolutely not his point nor what he said.

6 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

His experience with the system was the likely foundation for his personal contempt and disregard for the rule of law.

Contempt is more for those in positions of authority who do not respect the position and the responsibility that comes with it. "Disregard for the rule of law." Not at all. Nothing but respect for it. 

6 hours ago, billvon said:

First, allow me to apologize to the group. I usually jump in the deep end and this time, I just kinda stuck my toe in and waded around the edges. Been out of town for a few days and thought about it and probably shouldn't have brought it up. Yes, it was my experience and no; there was no invitation. My apologies.    

Just now, BIGUN said:

Contempt is more for those in positions of authority who do not respect the position and the responsibility that comes with it. "Disregard for the rule of law." Not at all. Nothing but respect for it. 

First, allow me to apologize to the group. I usually jump in the deep end and this time, I just kinda stuck my toe in and waded around the edges. Been out of town for a few days and thought about it and probably shouldn't have brought it up. Yes, it was my experience and no; there was no invitation. My apologies.    

Nonsense. The Professor was being pedantic, probably overly irritated to learn from the casually intelligent that, even when it's Flight of the Phoenix grade toy airplanes, taxation from a distance is a real thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Nonsense. The Professor was being pedantic, probably overly irritated to learn from the casually intelligent that, even when it's Flight of the Phoenix grade toy airplanes, taxation from a distance is a real thing.

Nonsense, he was just pointing out that Bigun was wrong, which even Bigun now realises is true. Why are you still letting your personal grudges blind you to reality?

• Like 1

This is interesting; twice in the past seven months federal judges have waived attorney/clent privilege in cases involving Trump, on the basis of the crime-fraud exception  (in other words, the attorney was party to the criminal activity of the client).  That means attorneys' notes, etc., will be available to grand juries.

A long read, but worth it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/03/20/judge-howell-ruling-trump-corcoran-testify/

14 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Accuracy isn't pedantic.

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Bigun was not wrong. He chose not to tell the whole story. Big difference. 

No, you were wrong. You said the reports on how the Grand Jury process was working for Trump were not true, because the Grand Jury process once worked differently for you.

You were clearly wrong, and clearly didn’t understand that your anecdotal experience was not a universal truth.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, billvon said:

Correct, sometimes they are. But that was not his claim at the start, at the start his claim was that for a federal grand jury the target has to be served a subpoena to attend and that is simply not true. In this case the anecdote provided false data.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Correct, sometimes they are. But that was not his claim at the start, at the start his claim was that for a federal grand jury the target has to be served a subpoena to attend and that is simply not true. In this case the anecdote provided false data.

Careful, you'll be accused of pedantry.

More lawsuits against Fox, this time by one of their own producers, accusing them of trying to make her a fall guy:

NYT: Fox Producer Says She Was Set Up in Dominion Case

A Fox News producer who has worked with the hosts Maria Bartiromo and Tucker Carlson filed lawsuits against the company in New York and Delaware on Monday, accusing Fox lawyers of coercing her into giving misleading testimony in the continuing legal battle around the network’s coverage of unfounded claims about election fraud.

The producer, Abby Grossberg, said Fox lawyers had tried to position her and Ms. Bartiromo to take the blame for Fox’s repeated airing of conspiracy theories about Dominion Voting Systems and its supposed role in manipulating the results of the 2020 presidential election.

29 minutes ago, ryoder said:

More lawsuits against Fox, this time by one of their own producers, accusing them of trying to make her a fall guy:

NYT: Fox Producer Says She Was Set Up in Dominion Case

A Fox News producer who has worked with the hosts Maria Bartiromo and Tucker Carlson filed lawsuits against the company in New York and Delaware on Monday, accusing Fox lawyers of coercing her into giving misleading testimony in the continuing legal battle around the network’s coverage of unfounded claims about election fraud.

The producer, Abby Grossberg, said Fox lawyers had tried to position her and Ms. Bartiromo to take the blame for Fox’s repeated airing of conspiracy theories about Dominion Voting Systems and its supposed role in manipulating the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Just regular.lawyering here. Objectively it would be called counseling perjury.

Hi folks,

Maybe the worm has turned:  MAGA protesters in Manhattan crowded out by anti-Trump rivals - POLITICO

When they were leading Louis XVI to the guillotine and he heard the cheering, he was convinced his supporters would never let him be executed.  He then realized that they were cheering for his demise.  

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

Hi folks,

Trump is beginning to be the albatross around their necks:   at the House GOP conference in Orlando, where dozens of congressional Republicans . . . hoped to focus on the party’s legislative priorities and achievements three months into the House majority. Instead, they faced repeated questions about the implications of Trump’s latest legal woes.

Possible Trump indictment forces another moment of choosing for GOP | AP News

Jerry Baumchen

An albatross round their necks - Idioms by The Free Dictionary