TriGirl

Girl Scout Cookies

Okay, folks — what are your favorites? What discontinued cookie was a good/bad idea? I remember selling them as a kid, back when we used to have to take the orders in advance and if you didn’t place an order, you didn’t get cookies (at least where I lived, kids didn’t pull shifts at grocery stores manning a cookie table).

Today some troops set up the online order process, so you can order from your niece/grandchild/best friend’s kid, and the cookies get sent right to you. Not sure that doesn’t defeat the purpose of having the kids put in the work, but it certainly does seem to increase the sales.

One of my recently discontinued favorites were the Thanks-a-Lots. Shortbread cookie coated in chocolate on the bottom. Gonna miss those!

(And yes, I know we have had similar threads before). My real motivation to start a discussion is because we were talking about them at work. I’m trying to find a troop using the right baker to get my favorites — they’re only available from one!

Though I am still interested in the walk down cookie memory lane, I would welcome a PM from anyone who can help me get a couple cases out here in the South Pacific. Don’t worry — I have a US mailing address!

My favorites were pretty much any but the Tagalongs (peanut butter patties) -- I always liked the peanut butter wafers you used to be able to get at the store better. Thin Mints are king, of course... But Samoas (gooey caramel and coconut), Do-si-do's (peanut butter sandwich), and Trefoils (shortbread) were also on the shopping list. I'd try either of the new lemon ones, but only if I could get a single cookie. I'll go through a box too easily, and my husband doesn't really do sweets. Bad combination.

Wendy P.

I prefer the Lemonades over Lemon Ups by far. And the website details a new sandwich cookie called Toast-Yay, describing it as a French toast flavor. I’m anxious to try those!

I have a freezer still stocked with ThinMints, Trefoils, Do-si-dos, and the sandwich cookie version of S’Mores. The local military guys I work with love them!

9 hours ago, TriGirl said:

Okay, folks — what are your favorites? What discontinued cookie was a good/bad idea? I remember selling them as a kid, back when we used to have to take the orders in advance and if you didn’t place an order, you didn’t get cookies (at least where I lived, kids didn’t pull shifts at grocery stores manning a cookie table).

Today some troops set up the online order process, so you can order from your niece/grandchild/best friend’s kid, and the cookies get sent right to you. Not sure that doesn’t defeat the purpose of having the kids put in the work, but it certainly does seem to increase the sales.

One of my recently discontinued favorites were the Thanks-a-Lots. Shortbread cookie coated in chocolate on the bottom. Gonna miss those!

Hi Tri,

Well, none of them are my favorites.  I'm just not a cookie guy.

Back when they would have a table just as I exited the grocery store, I would stop & just give them some money & tell them to keep the cookies.

Now, my grand-daughter is selling them on-line so I sorta have to buy.  But, I had them shipped to her.

It's for a good cause,

Jerry Baumchen