8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

23 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Seems like only one difference is significant to you. And as you say, it has yet to be adjudicated whether or not Trump actually did declassify. Do you agree with his assertion that a president can declassify just by thinking about it?

I don’t think so, but that has yet to be determined.

17 minutes ago, billvon said:

I LOVE the hypocrisy.  10/10.  

Up next - BH demands an investigation into Biden's dealings with China.

There has been reporting that the documents in question had to do with Biden’s dealings with China, Iran and Ukraine.  I won’t have to ask for it, with the Rs in charge (I like how that sounds) it is a fait accompli.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The crime occurred while and after he was VP, long before becoming President.

In Biden’s own words:

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6318428167112

So F'n what? He beat Trump, saved NATO and is kicking Russia's ass. I don't care if he has a stolen copy of your last job performance report and the Commodore it was written on. Bitch about trivialities as you ever will but I'm a happy camper.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

So F'n what? He beat Trump, saved NATO and is kicking Russia's ass. I don't care if he has a stolen copy of your last job performance report and the Commodore it was written on. Bitch about trivialities as you ever will but I'm a happy camper.

Politically speaking it gives Trump a get-out-of-jail-free card. You can’t be happy with that.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That has yet to be adjudicated.

There's nothing to adjudicate - he didn't. But he did keep them long after he knew the national archives needed them back, and he did lie to the government about having given them back.

1 minute ago, jakee said:

There's nothing to adjudicate - he didn't. But he did keep them long after he knew the national archives needed them back, and he did lie to the government about having given them back.

That’s apparently not a significant difference. That a president can declassify is all that matters. The simplicity of the conservative mind, that tells itself it has a brain because it is conservative, is fascinating.

10 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

That’s apparently not a significant difference. That a president can declassify is all that matters. The simplicity of the conservative mind, that tells itself it has a brain because it is conservative, is fascinating.

If he gets convicted you will be correct, if he doesn’t you won’t, practicality speaking.

32 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Politically speaking it gives Trump a get-out-of-jail-free card. You can’t be happy with that.

"Politically speaking"? Based upon how often you espouse Rupert MurDochs corrupt ideals it should be phrased "trump goes straight for a hanging".

Why is it that between trump and MurDoch. You form your political opinions based only upon the lies of old, old men with wives 1/2 their age?

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

"Politically speaking"? Based upon how often you espouse Rupert MurDochs corrupt ideals it should be phrased "trump goes straight for a hanging".

Why is it that between trump and MurDoch. You form your political opinions based only upon the lies of old, old men with wives 1/2 their age?

I’m just telling it like it is.  I’m no fan of Trump but now that it has been discovered classified documents have been illegally retained by Biden, it makes it a near impossibility to continue to go after Trump

(edited)
19 hours ago, gowlerk said:

There are huge differences between how someone who cooperates and someone who obstructs are treated.

That may be but it does not exonerate one of the original criminal offense.  Mitigation? Perhaps.   Absolution? Nope.

Don’t worry though, if worse comes to worse, he can pardon himself.

Edited by brenthutch

53 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

Worth adding to the discussion - Biden has maintained a security clearance the entire time the documents were in possession. Trump cannot claim the same.

Doesn't really matter.  There's no thought, no logical underpinning behind any of this.  Now that everyone is sick to death of their "Hunter's laptop" FUD, they just need a new "but . . . but . . . ." to counteract the latest republican debacle.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

It remains to be seen if Trump ever had a get into jail card for stealing classified documents so, again for the short bus crew, who gives a shit? None of we supporters expected half of the great things Biden is delivering, we just wanted Trump gone for all of the obvious (to anyone paying close attention, that is) reasons. Maybe you ought to go get another 10,000 fire crackers for your pee shooter and go make noise because you are making no sense here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

That may be but it does not exonerate one of the original criminal offense.  Mitigation? Perhaps.   Absolution? Nope.

Don’t worry though, if worse comes to worse, he can pardon himself.

There is a concept of law you can't seem to understand. Its called intent. This quote is intended for others. Minds not buried in the warrens of their tribal existence.

"Mens Rea refers to criminal intent. The literal translation from Latin is "guilty mind." The plural of mens rea is mentes reae. A mens rea refers to the state of mind statutorily required in order to convict a particular defendant of a particular crime. See, e.g. Staples v. United States, 511 US 600 (1994). Establishing the mens rea of an offender is usually necessary to prove guilt in a criminal trial. The prosecution typically must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the offense with a culpable state of mind. Justice Holmes famously illustrated the concept of intent when he said “even a dog knows the difference between being stumbled over and being kicked.”

(edited)
2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

There is a concept of law you can't seem to understand. Its called intent. This quote is intended for others. Minds not buried in the warrens of their tribal existence.

"Mens Rea refers to criminal intent. The literal translation from Latin is "guilty mind." The plural of mens rea is mentes reae. A mens rea refers to the state of mind statutorily required in order to convict a particular defendant of a particular crime. See, e.g. Staples v. United States, 511 US 600 (1994). Establishing the mens rea of an offender is usually necessary to prove guilt in a criminal trial. The prosecution typically must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the offense with a culpable state of mind. Justice Holmes famously illustrated the concept of intent when he said “even a dog knows the difference between being stumbled over and being kicked.”

“No I never intended to hide my dealings with Ukraine, Iran and China…. Those top secret documents just fell out of the pants of Sandy Berger and ended up in my office… nothing to see here… move along…move along”

Edited by brenthutch

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“No I never intended to hide my dealings with Ukraine, Iran and China…. Those top secret documents just fell out of the pants of Sandy Berger and ended up in my office… nothing to see here… move along…move along”

Just because your dog thinks you're brilliant doesn't mean the rest of us will just fall in line. Take a break and go machine gun a tree. In the big scheme of things their job is futile and, anyway, who doesn't get wood watching bark fly?

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I’m just telling it like it is.  I’m no fan of Trump but now that it has been discovered classified documents have been illegally retained by Biden, it makes it a near impossibility to continue to go after Trump

It really doesn’t.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:25 AM, billeisele said:

It is and will be more fun watching supporters and the media spilt hairs over how one criminal violation was different than the other criminal violation. No doubt there are differences, and some are significant. But at the end of the day they are both violations. It does raise the question, "What else is there that we don't know?" And that goes both ways.

It's interesting that the records were discovered and turned over before the mid-terms but it's just now been publicly known. So much for, "this administration will be the most transparent

“bring transparency and truth back to the government to share the truth, even when it’s hard to hear,”

"What else is there that we don't know?"

Second set of classified documents recovered. And one honest person, "not authorized to publicly discuss ... ... spoke on condition of anonymity", stepped forward to report it. Seems that hiding the first one wasn't a good idea.

Let's keep going with this transparency thing.

None of the political wrangling is good for the country.

55 minutes ago, billeisele said:

"What else is there that we don't know?"

Second set of classified documents recovered. And one honest person, "not authorized to publicly discuss ... ... spoke on condition of anonymity", stepped forward to report it. Seems that hiding the first one wasn't a good idea.

Let's keep going with this transparency thing.

None of the political wrangling is good for the country.

The FBI should raid Biden’s home to make sure he doesn’t have any more classified documents in yet another unsecured location.