8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Do you have any idea of the miles or hours the motor ran?

No, not a good one.  There's a running tally of gas mileage (and I could figure it out from that) but it maxes out at 199mpg.  My best estimate would be that 10% of those miles were gas-powered.

I use my gas more than you do, but still, with only a 30-mile range, my average consumption of actual gasoline consumed vs. miles brings me to 93 miles I've driven for each gallon of gas I've consumed. It keeps going up (but it'll go back down again next time I visit my friend who's 300 miles away).

Obviously that number doesn't take in to account the miles driven with electricity (it's just a mashed-up number), but it's still over twice as good as the estimated 47 mpg in straight hybrid mode. But when I'm driving using gas (like visiting the distant friend), I seem to average over 50 mpg in straight hybrid mode, so who knows?

Wendy P.

5 hours ago, billvon said:

No, not a good one.  There's a running tally of gas mileage (and I could figure it out from that) but it maxes out at 199mpg.  My best estimate would be that 10% of those miles were gas-powered.

Interesting. I would have somewhat expected that there would be some sort of 'hour meter' for the motor.
I have one of those in the big truck, and have ever since the 'digital dash' became a thing in them.

So 10% of 30k miles is 3000 miles, which is a fairly standard interval.

7 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Joe and the gang is doing a wonderful job at installing a fence around his vacation beach house. Maybe it's to keep out the same type he's allowing to enter the country because fences don't work on the border.

migration.jpg

2017-2019 republicans controlled the presidency, the house and the senate.The first since 2005.

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall."

“A Trump administration will stop illegal immigration, deport all criminal aliens, and save American lives.”

"We have at least 11 million people in this country that came in illegally. They will go out. They will come back — some will come back, the best, through a process. They have to come back legally. They have to come back through a process, and it may not be a very quick process, but I think that’s very fair, and very fine."

“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.” 

“We will reform legal immigration to serve the best interests of America and its workers, the forgotten people. Workers. We’re going to take care of our workers.”

"On my first day in office, I am also going to ask Congress to pass 'Kate’s Law' – named for Kate Steinle – to ensure that criminal aliens convicted of illegal re-entry receive strong mandatory minimum sentences."

"End birthright citizenship."

On and on and on. Instead stacking the courts and the largest tax cuts in corporate history was the agenda.

Anything else?

15 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

2017-2019 republicans controlled the presidency, the house and the senate.The first since 2005.

On and on and on. Instead stacking the courts and the largest tax cuts in corporate history was the agenda.

Anything else?

Don't forget the Trump Healthcare Plan! You know; Better than Obamacare, cheaper, and covered everyone!

13 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Don't forget the Trump Healthcare Plan! You know; Better than Obamacare, cheaper, and covered everyone!

I could have gone on and on, i.e. the famous " $1 Trillion trump Infrastructure Plan" etc. but brevity is necessary when having a discourse with conservatives.

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

Joe and the gang is doing a wonderful job at installing a fence around his vacation beach house. Maybe it's to keep out the same type he's allowing to enter the country because fences don't work on the border.

migration.jpg

The same typeAs in they’re not right?

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

migration.jpg

What exactly in this graph do you think is bad? This tends to count encounters, which could indicate flow of migrants is up, could also indicate that CBP is being more effective. Could also be a combination of both.

Are you suggesting it is only an increase in migrants? You don't think the CBP could be more effective?

Lastly, if the wall was so effective, how could those numbers possibly go up?

(edited)

Every time I see a chart like this I wonder about a couple of things:

1.  The chart shows total migrant arrivals, which lumps together legal and "illegal" arrivals.  As far as the Trump administration and its supporters are concerned there is no real distinction, they seem to hate everybody who wants to come to this country (with the possible exception of white Europeans especially from Norway).  However it is perfectly legal to present yourself at a border crossing and ask for asylum.  Your petition will be adjudicated and a decision made, but no laws have been broken just by asking for asylum.

2.  The Biden administration (really, Biden personally) is being blamed for people trying to come to the US.  What power does any administration have to force people to stay home and not try to come here?  Does the US have police powers in Guatemala (as an example)?  Do we run the military in Mexico?  How, exactly, is Biden supposed to intercept people and turn them back before they reach US soil? 

Would it not be more effective to figure out why so many people are fleeing their homes to come to a distant country?  Few people leave home on a whim, just for a change of scenery.  The journey is incredibly dangerous, and they are not at all assured of success.  They are fleeing out-of-control gang violence, largely fueled by American demand for narcotics.  They are fleeing corrupt and violent military regimes, many with a history of being supported by the US.  They are fleeing starvation brought on by natural disasters, such as a series of hurricanes that struck Central America and destroyed their food production several years in a row.

If you and your family were facing starvation and being constantly threatened and robbed by gangs, and your own government and police were powerless to help, who would not try to run to safety?  But, when Biden (or Obama before that) proposes to spend money to try to help deal with those problems so people will be able to stay home, all we hear from politicians catering to the Trump base is "America First" and complaining about spending money on other countries.  When I hear the rhetoric from many conservatives I have to believe that they would force people back into a burning building rather that allow them to break curfew.  I'm reminded of the M.S. St. Louis, a ship carrying 900 Jewish passengers trying to flee from Nazi Germany in 1939.  The ship was refused permission to dock, first in Cuba, then in the US, and finally in Canada before being forced to return to Germany, where over 1/3 of the passengers ultimately died in concentration camps.

Disclosure: I am an immigrant to the US.  I came here legally.  The process took a long time, it was not particularly pleasant (the "system" assumes you are a terrorist or a criminal it seems), and it was very expensive.  I was able to do that because I came from a non-shithole country (Canada), I am educated (PhD), and it probably did not hurt that I am white and I speak English.

Edited by GeorgiaDon
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, billeisele said:

Maybe it's to keep out the same type he's allowing to enter the country because fences don't work on the border.

Good for him.  We need more migrants, not less.  Have you noticed all the restaurants begging for workers lately?  Not enough migrants = American workers out of work when those places close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Every time I see a chart like this I wonder about a couple of things:

1.  The chart shows total migrant arrivals, which lumps together legal and "illegal" arrivals.  As far as the Trump administration and its supporters are concerned there is no real distinction, they seem to hate everybody who wants to come to this country (with the possible exception of white Europeans especially from Norway). 

To be fair, the Czech Republic and Slovenia are also apparently on the Trump approved list.

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Biden stoped the border wall before it was completed.  He has now rectified that mistake and has resumed construction of Trump’s wall.

I think he is merely filling some unfinished gaps near Yuma at the request of Arizona Senator Mark Kelly. Do you have credible information that he's restarted the supply chain and contracted for the full completion of the wall or are you just trolling some more?

38 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I think he is merely filling some unfinished gaps near Yuma at the request of Arizona Senator Mark Kelly. Do you have credible information that he's restarted the supply chain and contracted for the full completion of the wall or are you just trolling some more?

If walls don’t work, why is he even doing that?  Why would Senator Kelly make such a foolish request?

Just now, brenthutch said:

If walls don’t work, why is he even doing that?  Why would Senator Kelly make such a foolish request?

Your first question is a simple misdirection, so no thanks. The answer to your second question is votes. You'll recall that Arizona is a border state. Anything to keep from being tagged a full on progressive woke liberal in the land of Kari Lake seems a decent strategy.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Biden stoped the border wall before it was completed.

Trump stopped the border wall before it was completed.  He built 47 miles of new wall where there were no walls before.  47 miles, out of a border of 1954 miles.  That's 2%.

So if he kept going at that rate, he would have finished it by 2072.  If he reused the old decrepit sections he might be able to do it by 2054.

So if you think Trump was going to finish the wall and have Mexico pay for it, congratulations - you have been duped yet again by right wing media, which you have made a decades-long habit.

He has now rectified that mistake and has resumed construction of Trump’s wall.

Nope.  Another example of your gullibility.  He has cancelled all new construction and returned the money to schools for military families.  The only remaining work he signed off on is completing half-finished sections and putting in things like drainage and signage that you need so it's safe and it doesn't fall over onto someone.

You have GOT to get a better source than FOX News.  (Here's your cue to bleat 'but I don't watch FOX News!  Not at all!')

• Like 2

16 hours ago, billvon said:

Trump stopped the border wall before it was completed.  He built 47 miles of new wall where there were no walls before.  47 miles, out of a border of 1954 miles.  That's 2%.

So if he kept going at that rate, he would have finished it by 2072.  If he reused the old decrepit sections he might be able to do it by 2054.

So if you think Trump was going to finish the wall and have Mexico pay for it, congratulations - you have been duped yet again by right wing media, which you have made a decades-long habit.

Nope.  Another example of your gullibility.  He has cancelled all new construction and returned the money to schools for military families.  The only remaining work he signed off on is completing half-finished sections and putting in things like drainage and signage that you need so it's safe and it doesn't fall over onto someone.

You have GOT to get a better source than FOX News.  (Here's your cue to bleat 'but I don't watch FOX News!  Not at all!')

“Some border residents and organizations are speaking out against the Biden administration after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security revealed plans to fill in gaps of a border wall to keep migrants out near Yuma, Arizona”

“The administration received similar blowback when it announced in early July it was doing the same in San Diego at a location called Friendship Park, where people, including many families separated by the border, used to gather before the coronavirus pandemic to touch hands and sometimes hug.

The Biden administration said it was planning to build two 30-foot-high barriers there, also citing safety concerns for migrants and government staff.

"Sorry, not buying it," said John Fanestil of the Friends of Friendship Park during an early July Zoom meeting encouraging people to protest construction of the wall.

"If they build these walls they're desecrating this landmark location," said Fanestil. "It is arguably the most historic and culturally significant location on the border."”

Not FOX news.

Forget the wall that was intended to manage immigration, human trafficking and drug smuggling by creating entry points that the Border Patrol could handle. Joe can have his personal wall at his vacation home. It will keep him from wandering off and keep the cameras out while he's shaking hands with imaginary people. 

How about the vote buying scheme that will miserably fail? For every 1 person that gets a free ride there are 10 others that are feeling cheated. No, that's not a documented ratio but one can understand the concept, at least some can.

Forgiving loan debt is a shift of money from one group to another. It appears that the ones most upset are those that: didn't go to college because they couldn't afford it and didn't want a loan, went but worked to pay their way without a loan, took a loan but worked to pay it off, etc. 

It sends the wrong signal ..... don't worry the government will cover your bad decision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billeisele said:

How about the vote buying scheme that will miserably fail?

Get Out The Vote is not vote-buying.

Forgiving loan debt is a shift of money from one group to another.

Yep.  Just as having a child deduction, or having the GI bill, or having public roads, shifts money from one group to another.

It appears that the ones most upset are those that: didn't go to college because they couldn't afford it and didn't want a loan, went but worked to pay their way without a loan, took a loan but worked to pay it off, etc. 

I'm one of those.  I am not upset, since I think a more educated populace is critical both to the future economy of the United States and democracy in general.

It sends the wrong signal ..... don't worry the government will cover your bad decision.

Sort of like how we give free education to veterans?  Or is that OK because you like veterans?