8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

18 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but, as I recall, after Biden had won the election he said something about wanting to unite this country.

I thought he was nuts.  He was not my first choice for the nomination, but considering the options, I supported him.  As I would today given the same choices.

Today, he is IMO taking a very weak stand on this decision:  Roe v. Wade decision 2022: Biden calls abortion ruling ‘a sad day’ for country - oregonlive.com

IMO it more than a 'sad day,' it is a disaster with more to come.

The Democratic party needs to nominate someone with a lot more fire in the belly in 2024 or we will lose more than just Roe v Wade.

End of rant,

Jerry Baumchen

Agreed. I think both Biden and Harris need to stand aside. The D’s need to get serious about what is possible and nominate two centrist white males. We’re no longer fighting the good fight. Now we’re fighting for survival. Part of being a grown up is willingly doing what you don’t want to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Agreed. I think both Biden and Harris need to stand aside. The D’s need to get serious about what is possible and nominate two centrist white males. We’re no longer fighting the good fight. Now we’re fighting for survival. Part of being a grown up is willingly doing what you don’t want to do.

I hate that. And yeah. Or Bernie should appoint his ideological successor.

Wendy P.

3 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I hate that. And yeah. Or Bernie should appoint his ideological successor.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

If you are referring to Bernie Sanders, Nope.

As Joe posted:  what is possible and nominate two centrist white males

We need to make very damn sure that the GOP does not win in 2024.  If this means electing someone more to the center than I would like, so be it.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

If you are referring to Bernie Sanders, Nope.

As Joe posted:  what is possible and nominate two centrist white males

We need to make very damn sure that the GOP does not win in 2024.  If this means electing someone more to the center than I would like, so be it.

Jerry Baumchen

MMMmmmmm abortion rights as a key issue! How about two centrists male or female?
Build the Electorate,

.Persuade Undecideds,

.Turn Out Supporters,

.Direct Voter Contact programs should be focused on two-sided conversations, targeted efforts and relationship building.

Bernie attracted a lot of disaffected conservatives, that’s my main thought. One vote switch is worth two die-hards. Vermont has a long tradition of gun rights. We’ll have to choose between abortion rights and gun control in the short run, I think  

Wendy P. 

Just now, wmw999 said:

Bernie attracted a lot of disaffected conservatives, that’s my main thought. One vote switch is worth two die-hards. Vermont has a long tradition of gun rights. We’ll have to choose between abortion rights and gun control in the short run, I think  

Wendy P. 

I don't know about that.

Abortion rights were destroyed by the SC.
And gun rights were upheld. 

But the Senate passed a very weak gun control bill. It will likely become law.

I wonder how many of the Rs that voted in favor of that will make it through the primary process (some of the congresscritters already have - or haven't).

The R voters are pretty harsh towards those who 'take away' their gun rights.

One of the reasons gun control has been such a hard sell in DC is because all of them remember the 94 mid terms. The 'assault weapons' bill went through. There was a hell of an outcry and both houses fell to the Rs.
Arguably the beginning of the fall of the democracy (that's when Gingrich got to be Speaker). 
It wouldn't surprise me a whole lot to see a lot of the 'gun rights' Rs go against the party in the mid terms. Either 3rd party or not voting at all. 

37 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Abortion rights were destroyed by the SC.
And gun rights were upheld. 

And the clear reason that the current SC is now confirmed to be nakedly partisan is that they used directly conflicting arguments to make both of those rulings. For guns, they decided it was far too important a right to allow states to make their own decisions, and that a federal approach was better. For abortion, no more federal protections, let the states sort it out.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

And the clear reason that the current SC is now confirmed to be nakedly partisan is that they used directly conflicting arguments to make both of those rulings. For guns, they decided it was far too important a right to allow states to make their own decisions, and that a federal approach was better. For abortion, no more federal protections, let the states sort it out.

Hi wood,

It continues to amaze me that some non-Americans know so much about this country & a lot of Americans do not or do not care to learn.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

The fight is no longer national. It has shifted to the state level. That’s how Rs see it and they are correct.

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Negative. Too many knuckle draggers who pretend to be enlightened, and open to the obvious truth, will do as they always do in the privacy of the voting booth and just not be comfortable with a female President. If Trumps election didn't make that apparent I have know idea what will. Look, it completely, totally sucks, and is as wrong as wrong can be but it is also reality: we need two centrist white males as candidates and, even then, an unlikely amount of good fortune.

10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

They saw that 25 years ago and set up the fight today.

The wins they just had this week were a long time coming. It is my belief that the backlash from them will be very strong, and lasting. The Rubicon has been crossed.

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Negative. Too many knuckle draggers who pretend to be enlightened, and open to the obvious truth, will do as they always do in the privacy of the voting booth and just not be comfortable with a female President. If Trumps election didn't make that apparent I have know idea what will. Look, it completely, totally sucks, and is as wrong as wrong can be but it is also reality: we need two centrist white males as candidates and, even then, an unlikely amount of good fortune.

Yes could be true. Winning the house, the senate and the presidency are necessary. Because this decision is just the start. Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution, gerrymandering, a stacked court, etc. Are all against equality of the vote.

Month after month the court will start to dismantle equality and the separation of religion from the state.

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The wins they just had this week were a long time coming. It is my belief that the backlash from them will be very strong, and lasting. The Rubicon has been crossed.

The important point is that a significant percentage of the US population is thinking that this is all fantastic and worthy of celebration. I live in a liberal state, at least in the more populated areas, so things will mostly just continue on as usual. But there is nothing homogenous about the US electorate. Even in the reddest of states many blue types live, often concentrated in cities like Austin, Texas. They, like others like them elsewhere, will suffer from the intentions this regime. So what to do? Well, I think they should be coming unglued, raising holy hell, and be willing to suffer however it comes. All of them, in every red state. But they won't, I'll wager. They'll wait for the blue state folk to do something. That's my guess.

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

They saw that 25 years ago and set up the fight today.

They have done well in state houses. SCOTUS has just forced the battle for basic rights into individual states. Which now will become the focus of woman’s rights in America. The right wing has picked a fight that will cost them a lot of power as the pendulum swings.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, brenthutch said:

Eerily similar in arrogance to Harris, our Energy Secretary opines on our prospects in November. 

Completely oblivious of consequences to the middle class and poor of America.

What is the grand old plan to increase oil production? Haha we're at war with that industry.

We found out how they're going to pay for all the non inflationary spending, a pound of our flesh.

34 minutes ago, richravizza said:

Eerily similar in arrogance to Harris, our Energy Secretary opines on our prospects in November. 

Completely oblivious of consequences to the middle class and poor of America.

What is the grand old plan to increase oil production? Haha we're at war with that industry.

We found out how they're going to pay for all the non inflationary spending, a pound of our flesh.

Hi rich,

Is there a shortage?  I do not see one.  Right now, I can buy all the gas that I want.  It may cost more than it did last year, but there is no shortage.

Jerry Baumchen

11 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi rich,

Is there a shortage?  I do not see one.  Right now, I can buy all the gas that I want.  It may cost more than it did last year, but there is no shortage.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry.

I agree, there isn't a shortage yet,thanks for the optimism.

How much more are those hot dogs that we saved .13 cents on last year?

Inflation and massive Gov't spending can benefits those with large Assets, not so much for those who don't.

A recurring theme.

3 minutes ago, richravizza said:

Hi Jerry.

I agree, there isn't a shortage yet,thanks for the optimism.

How much more are those hot dogs that we saved .13 cents on last year?

Inflation and massive Gov't spending can benefits those with large Assets, not so much for those who don't.

A recurring theme.

Hi rich,

How about not moving the goal posts?

Jerry Baumchen

On 3/23/2022 at 10:07 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

To impose other consequences on what people who refuse to take precautions against a deadly virus is not a new thing.
Quarantines used to be quite common. And strictly enforced.
People with Tuberculosis were committed to institutions. They were 'just a little bit sick', but were FORCED out of their homes and into rather unpleasant sanatoriums.
And if they tried to refuse, they were put in a straight jacket and taken against their will.

You didn't see the inversion, that's ok. My sister's at the Ronald Reagan library today.

Invert the basic premise of Quarantine; meant to isolate the sick from the general public and we isolate the healthy from themselves. A lockdown in draconian fashion.

Straight jackets or duck tape 

Talk about a bad trip! 

A nightmare left wing dystopian future, closer to Blade Runner and Huxley, than Orwell. Drones flying about, trying to identify the source, your building, your floor, your flat, the individual, the source. Its loudspeaker blaring "Go indoors, Close your windows, don't let the foreign plague succeed. Suppress your hearts desire for freedom!"

Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it's like to be a slave” 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/world/asia/shanghai-lockdown-china.html

(edited)

As in Carter 2.0  four decades later.A true disconnect between Washington and the People. 

6 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi rich,

How about not moving the goal posts?

Jerry Baumchen

Did I mention there is an oil "shortage"? I believe that's your adjective,not mine.

6 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

It may cost more than it did last year, but there is no shortage.

A Presidential inquiry, "Is it shall, or is it may"

"It may cost more than last year."

Our goal post, peace.

Edited by richravizza

On 5/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, jakee said:

We've got all of those in the UK too except (probably) the fentanyl and formula ones. There's this new thing called global events, and it is unrelated to Biden being US president

That fentanyl inconvenience caused 50,000 Americans to die from ODs.

To put that in perspective,we lost about the same number of servicemen during the entirety of the Vietnam Conflict.With the burden of a Biden Border Crisis that number has sadly doubled.

unrelated or not he's a train wreck.

13 hours ago, richravizza said:

So you're not sure if that has anything to do with him - but you will still use it to claim he's the worst.

You've pretty much summed up republican "logic" on that topic.

(edited)
10 hours ago, richravizza said:

That fentanyl inconvenience caused 50,000 Americans to die from ODs.

To put that in perspective,we lost about the same number of servicemen during the entirety of the Vietnam Conflict.With the burden of a Biden Border Crisis that number has sadly doubled.

A number that pales in comparison with the excess deaths** due to Trump's denial, dithering, delay and incompetence in response to COVID.

** estimated as of January 5, 2021, at over 350,664.

Edited by kallend