8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

On 11/17/2021 at 10:27 PM, jimjumper said:

I'm in CA. Half the state is considered high fire danger area. I'd drop the insurance but it's required for a mortgage. They have the CA Fair Plan for people that can't get Homeowners but the name "Fair Plan" is anything but. CA is expected to have a $31B budget surplus but we'll probably spend it on the "train to nowhere!" When it comes time to vote a lot of people are going to decide "was I better off with the Republicans or the Democrats?" 

It's nice to see another Cali guy here, how's that Prop 47 treatn' you? The smash and grabs are fun to watch mostly when it's Louise's place, eat the rich and all, but think you'll agree,the local CVS not so cool.You gotta laugh at it's name too, The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act. We're all free to steal $950 worth of stuff, isn't it fun.

One of Kamala's masterpieces so progressive, leadership for the rest of the Nation.LOL

Enjoy your Turkey Day.

1 hour ago, richravizza said:

Bigalls you crafty son of a gun, what exactly are you implying? LOL

What most Americans realize, we may have more than the usual during this four year cycle? If so then a Heiress catastrophe may make Bad Man not so bad.

I don’t think she plays golf so at least she’d be on the job 307 more days than trump was during his term.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 6:14 AM, kallend said:

Unfortunately a lot of stupid people don't think that way.  Some of them even post here.

Since I brought up Public education, off topic.I'm hoping you're not talking about me.I've asked you before not to put words in my mouth,but here we are again.You making assumptions about me, based on an illiberal echo chamber of assumptions.A childhood game, of what someone may have said, insinuates and therefore supports.A race to the bottom to the lowest common denominator.I find this distasteful.We may disagree on nearly everything,but that no reason for us to be dishonest.

Please ask me to expound on my ideas...School choice, a voucher system allowing low and middle class families the ability to afford alternative schooling you may actually find Progressive.

Have a Great Thanksgiving.

5 hours ago, murps2000 said:

Must concede there. But I doubt she sleeps less than the previous CIC.

Indeed, if that dumb sonofabitch got a good 8 hours daily he might have approached coherency - in a narcissistic kind of way.  Cancelling his Twitter account might have helped his cause, but perhaps having insight into his garbled thought process had the up side of getting him out of the Oval Office.

Now if there was any way to drive a stake through his political heart we could get back to the normal level of mediocrity in the Beltway.

BSBD,

Winsor

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richravizza said:

School choice, a voucher system allowing low and middle class families the ability to afford alternative schooling you may actually find Progressive.

The biggest problem I find with publicly-funded school choice is that it gives all of the charter schools the ability to pick and choose the students they want; usually the higher-potential, less-expensive ones. 
Which means that with the public schools’ requirement to educate all children, they have to keep all the highest-needs students, at the greatest cost, without recourse. Which means, of course, that they do end up with more problems. 
How do you propose that school systems (and vouchers are part of a school system) deal with these students?

Society is best served if these students, too, have as much education and socialization as possible. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, richravizza said:

It's nice to see another Cali guy here, how's that Prop 47 treatn' you? The smash and grabs are fun to watch mostly when it's Louise's place, eat the rich and all, but think you'll agree,the local CVS not so cool.You gotta laugh at it's name too, The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act. We're all free to steal $950 worth of stuff, isn't it fun.

One of Kamala's masterpieces so progressive, leadership for the rest of the Nation.LOL

Enjoy your Turkey Day.

Organized retail theft is still a felony in California under section 490.4 of the penal code.

Misdemeanors are still eligible for up to 6 months in jail.

Seems to me that the law isn't the problem, but enforcement on both LEO and DA is the problem.

Edited by SkyDekker

16 hours ago, richravizza said:

Enjoy your Turkey Day.

50 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Organized retail theft is still a felony in California under section 490.4 of the penal code.

Misdemeanors are still eligible for up to 6 months in jail.

Seems to me that the law isn't the problem, but enforcement on both LEO and DA is the problem.

So the little guy that grabs $950 is the problem eh? While white collar criminals get strippers and yachts. Plus the offshore accounts to hide it all.

How Corruption is Becoming America’s Operating System "Your book looks at networks of people who exploit political and economic systems to increase their wealth by working across private and public sectors. Help us understand this in a historical context. What is new or distinct with corruption in America today?"

Yachts, Strip Clubs, and Fast Cars: An Analysis of the First 56 Cases Alleging PPP Fraud

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

So the little guy that grabs $950 is the problem eh?

No, 40 people who raid a store asp art of organized crime are the more specific problem here.

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

While white collar criminals get strippers and yachts. Plus the offshore accounts to hide it all.

It really isn't an either/or scenario. Both can be problems at the same time.

Woo Hoo - Biden restricts travel from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi. If Trump did it it would be racist.

Mainstream media is full of folks that are quick to judge and label, but detest being judged or labeled.

Edited by billeisele
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

Woo Hoo - Biden restricts travel from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi. If Trump did it it would be racist.

Mainstream media is full of folks that are quick to judge and label, but detest being judged or labeled.

Almost all nations are doing the same thing. Pull the rag away from your face, now ain't the time for your tears. Like most Trumpists you are too nativist to even look elsewhere.

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Almost all nations are doing the same thing. Pull the rag away from your face, now ain't the time for your tears. Like most Trumpists you are too nativist to even look elsewhere.

lol - so shallow, childish and incorrect

When folks make excuses for poor behavior it encourages that behavior. This is not about what nations are doing. It's about actions of the the media. 

It's not about my opinion of Trump. It's about how the media behaves.

"The media" (which includes all of the other profit-incentivized media like OAN, Fox, etc, as well as opinion websites like Gateway Pundit and Breitbart) is treating this as each outlet treats most things. Some of the far left is probably talking about how if Trump hadn't been president then nothing bad would ever have happened (which isn't true), and some of the far right is probably talking about how the left is reporting this new common cold.

In other words, look at the stories, and see what's happening. There appears to be a new variant, that's concerning because it's clearly a variant, and clearly quite different from the others. They (that being WHO etc)

• don't know yet if it's more deadly
  • think it might be more contagious than the original
  • don't know how well the vaccine will work because some of the differences are where the vaccine was developed
  • don't want to get a generalized worldwide infection if it does turn out to be more serious and not as contagious.

I.e. the more they know before it spreads, the better. If it is as contagious as Delta, it'll spread. If it's not, maybe not -- remember there were some other concerning variations, which we really don't hear that much about any more.

A difference between this and the "shithole countries ban" (from before COVID) is that it's clearly, and being reported as, a temporary step to find out more about the new variant, rather than a "we don't like them" approach to traffic management. A difference between this and the "Chinese ban" from the early days of COVID is that, while countries are probably allowing citizens back in, they're enforcing quarantines on those citizens, rather than at least appearing to blame it all on the ethnicity of the person coming in. Being an American citizen doesn't really trump nature.

At least that's how I see it. I'm planning significant international travel over the next few months; I'm paying pretty close attention, because this could easily affect or cancel that travel.

Wendy P.

33 minutes ago, billeisele said:

lol - so shallow, childish and incorrect

When folks make excuses for poor behavior it encourages that behavior. This is not about what nations are doing. It's about actions of the the media. 

Your opinion about how the "media" behaves severely informs your opinion of Trump. 

25 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I'm planning significant international travel over the next few months; I'm paying pretty close attention, because this could easily affect or cancel that travel.

My passport lapsed in 2019 and I did not get it renewed, nor do I intend to. I travel a lot, but now I am set out to explore every corner of this country. We are very fortunate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

My passport lapsed in 2019 and I did not get it renewed, nor do I intend to. I travel a lot, but now I am set out to explore every corner of this country. We are very fortunate. 

Not a good look for a smart guy. Get it renewed if for no other reason than to support the ideas of internationalism and inclusiveness. I'm guessing you'll agree that ignorance of the rest of the world is causative of many of the major problems we have in this country and setting a good example is always helpful.

11 hours ago, billeisele said:

If Trump did it it would be racist.

55 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Don't you see, Bill?  You're not only defending Trump, you're defending you. Step away from the bias and answer a simple question: knowing all you now know would you prefer Trump was still President?

13 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

We spent a total of 5 months between us on the road and exploring (and spending money in) the US over 2021. 27 states, 7 or 8 new National Parks. I'd go ahead and renew the passport, even if you don't plan to travel outside the country. Ya just never know, and it's faster to have one than to get one.

Wendy P.

33 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

There appears to be a new variant, that's concerning because it's clearly a variant, and clearly quite different from the others.

Each variant has been new. But, the point is - the things Biden said about Trump and how it was portrayed is not the same as it is now when it's Biden:

"We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."

Biden Feb 1, 2020 (Twitter)

"Trump further diminished the U.S. in the eyes of the world by expanding his travel ban. This new “African Ban,” is designed to make it harder for black and brown people to immigrate to the United States. It’s a disgrace, and we cannot let him succeed."

Biden Feb 1, 2020 (Twitter) 

"A wall will not stop the coronavirus. Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it. This disease could impact every nation and any person on the planet — and we need a plan to combat it."

Biden March 12, 2020 (Twitter)

For me; it's kinda like Cuomo calling Trump a misogynist. Which one gets more news and which one gets a pass by the liberal media. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

We spent a total of 5 months between us on the road and exploring (and spending money in) the US over 2021. 27 states, 7 or 8 new National Parks. I'd go ahead and renew the passport, even if you don't plan to travel outside the country. Ya just never know, and it's faster to have one than to get one.

Wendy P.

In my view one passport isn't enough.

• Like 2

OK, I can see that. But reading those in the MSM meant that they didn't get as much attention (at least from me; I read the NYT on Sundays and the local paper the rest of the week) as the information about the virus itself. I have a feeling that taking different words from the same source (speech, statement, book, Bible, whatever) can make a huge difference in how they're interpreted

Wendy P.

• Like 1