8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

30 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

This was my biggest concern with the Trump presidency. Every single norm, rule or protocol he broke and faced no consequences for, established precedence for anyone who follows down the line to get away with the exact same shit, or worse.

The GOP faithful look in envy at what President Xi just achieved with his new lifetime presidential appointment. They have started their efforts to dispense with voting in the US. So unnecessary, so wasteful. "Republicans Gain Heavy House Edge in 2022 as Gerrymandered Maps Emerge"

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

The GOP faithful look in envy at what President Xi just achieved with his new lifetime presidential appointment. They have started their efforts to dispense with voting in the US. So unnecessary, so wasteful.

I have now come to the conclusion that the USA is a semi-democracy rather than a true democracy.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

A glimmer of hope:  Biden signs . . .  deal with bipartisan crowd

Biden signs $1T infrastructure deal with bipartisan crowd: ‘America is moving again’ - oregonlive.com

I suppose Trump will now condemn every R that showed up.

For me, it's nice to see some of the GOP willing to be there.

Jerry Baumchen

That's a so what moment not a glimmer of hope. Unless something serious happens, and fast, to trample Trump and Trumpism American Democracy will be further fucked come the mid-terms. Already the chatterers are accepting 2022 and 2024 and looking ahead to 2026. I'm starting to believe authoritarianism is not only what we deserve but rather what we get, like it or not. Think honestly about a nation as populous as China. I'm long since ready to agree that western style democracy couldn't work there. Now look here and substitute numbers of peoples for numbers of economic units and numbers of freedoms. As it stands, our system is unable to control things as needed for the general good. For example, one business based on freedom of speech and a keen understanding of human desires, is able to influence our elections with apparent impunity. All we are able to do is not like it. Our institutions move so much slower than our election cycles that the idea of rule of law in America is becoming laughable. What I'm seeing is far from encouraging.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

That's a so what moment not a glimmer of hope. Unless something serious happens, and fast, to trample Trump and Trumpism American Democracy will be further fucked come the mid-terms. Already the chatterers are accepting 2022 and 2024 and looking ahead to 2026. I'm starting to believe authoritarianism is not only what we deserve but rather what we get, like it or not. Think honestly about a nation as populous as China. I'm long since ready to agree that western style democracy couldn't work there. Now look here and substitute numbers of peoples for numbers of economic units and numbers of freedoms. As it stands, our system is unable to control things as needed for the general good. For example, one business based on freedom of speech and a keen understanding of human desires, is able to influence our elections with apparent impunity. All we are able to do is not like it. Our institutions move so much slower than our election cycles that the idea of rule of law in America is becoming laughable. What I'm seeing is far from encouraging.

After 2022 republicans will likely win all close elections. But it’s not all bad. At least our authoritarian state will have gotten some much needed infrastructure improvements.

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I have now come to the conclusion that the USA is a semi-democracy rather than a true democracy.

Agree but IMO a better description would be a corrupted democracy. Unrestricted lobbying, unrestricted cash for votes, gerrymandering and tribalism all work to defeat the best interests of the electorate majority.

Two year election cycles and the impatience of the electorate compounds the problem. In other democracies with four year election cycles. The madness of false promises, expensive carrots thrown out to entice votes, etc. Is only a half as bad.

Under the trump administration the US dropped from 17th to 25th on the corruption perception index on several ranking systems.

Edited by Phil1111

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Agree but IMO a better description would be a corrupted democracy. Unrestricted lobbying, unrestricted cash for votes, gerrymandering and tribalism all work to defeat the best interests of the electorate majority.

Two year election cycles and the impatience of the electorate compounds the problem. In other democracies with four year election cycles. The madness of false promises, expensive carrots thrown out to entice votes, etc. Is only a half as bad.

Under the trump administration the US dropped from 17th to 25th on the corruption perception index on several ranking systems.

Almost like a Banana Republic.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:04 PM, SkyDekker said:

Here in Canada property taxes are set by two factors, the assessed value of the property and the mill rate. Multiplying those two gets you to the property taxes payable. Hence, it is possible for property taxes to go up, without the mill rate increasing. In those cases the net worth of the payor has gone up. (also why many municipalities allow for the deferral of property taxes until sale of asset.

In South Carolina taxes are determined the same way. The State passed legislation providing a Homestead Exemption, and School Tax Credit for a primary residence. The HE applies when one hits 65. It provides a $50K credit that is applied to the property value. The School TC is huge, that item hammers an owner of a vacation or second home.

Just received by 2021 tax bill. It's divided into 3 categories: Schools, County and Agency. The School portion of the millage is 77%, County 19%, and Agency is 4%. The Tax Credit applies to the School portion, it reduces the millage 92%. The total millage as a primary residence is 147. If it were a secondary home it would be 515. The higher taxes for a non-primary residence are huge.

The School TC does not apply to vehicles, boats, planes, RVs, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimjumper said:

Just received my homeowners insurance. For the first time it's more than my property taxes. Up 35%. Maybe it's time for a Prop 13 type proposal for insurance increases as well. Out of taxes, insurance, and mortgage payments, mortgage is the least expensive!

How much has the value of your home gone up in the past ten years?

2 hours ago, jimjumper said:

Just received my homeowners insurance. For the first time it's more than my property taxes. Up 35%. Maybe it's time for a Prop 13 type proposal for insurance increases as well. Out of taxes, insurance, and mortgage payments, mortgage is the least expensive!

Insurance is getting significantly more expensive ad that won't stop. 2021 Has been a very expensive year for insurance companies with significantly global insurable losses. One of the worst years on record. 

49 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Insurance is getting significantly more expensive ad that won't stop. 2021 Has been a very expensive year for insurance companies with significantly global insurable losses. One of the worst years on record. 

Development alone will result in higher losses.  In Florida, a strong thunderstorm today will cause more monetary damages than a category five hurricane a hundred and fifty years ago

14 hours ago, jimjumper said:

I don't have any special or inside knowledgeable about insurance but .... I often wondered why one brand would have that type of large increase and another wouldn't. I was shopping insurance and an agent told me that if they have higher than expected claims the rates are adjusted to recover those expenses. He said they tend to work on a rolling 3-year average but that wasn't an exact science. The company I was talking to had a fairly high exposure because they insured property along the coast and we had a flooding event. In addition there were tornados in other states where they had a high concentration of customers. They stopped writing policies for coastal properties and dropped some of their customers to reduce exposure. The other company that I spoke with said that they didn't even write policies in coastal areas, they have high margins but high risk.  Makes sense.

I'm in CA. Half the state is considered high fire danger area. I'd drop the insurance but it's required for a mortgage. They have the CA Fair Plan for people that can't get Homeowners but the name "Fair Plan" is anything but. CA is expected to have a $31B budget surplus but we'll probably spend it on the "train to nowhere!" When it comes time to vote a lot of people are going to decide "was I better off with the Republicans or the Democrats?" 

• Like 1

Listening to NPR this morning, I was struck by the fact that our CIC is committed to ritual cannibalism, which is strictly not Kosher.  The specific inclusion of blood makes it doubly so.

I know it's only make believe, but I'm not sure that improves things by much.

BSBD,

Winsor

2 minutes ago, winsor said:

Listening to NPR this morning, I was struck by the fact that our CIC is committed to ritual cannibalism, which is strictly not Kosher.  The specific inclusion of blood makes it doubly so.

I know it's only make believe, but I'm not sure that improves things by much.

BSBD,

Winsor

But at least he doesn't take marching orders from the pope. Hypocrisy lives on.

10 hours ago, jimjumper said:

I'm in CA. Half the state is considered high fire danger area. I'd drop the insurance but it's required for a mortgage. They have the CA Fair Plan for people that can't get Homeowners but the name "Fair Plan" is anything but. CA is expected to have a $31B budget surplus but we'll probably spend it on the "train to nowhere!" 

With the passage of the infrastructure bill, a lot of CA's budget will be spent on matching funds in that bill (a lot of the bill requires states to foot half the cost.)

I agree with you that the HSR project isn't worth it.  But San Francisco to Los Angeles can hardly be described as a "train to nowhere."

https://nypost.com/2021/11/18/biden-approval-rating-hits-36-percent-in-quinnipiac-poll/

Biden drops below Trump and Republicans are preferred over Dems.  It’s worth noting this poll was taken AFTER the infrastructure bill passed.  On the positive side the Biden administration is in the process of leasing a huge (the size of Florida) chunk of the gulf for oil and gas exploitation.

14 hours ago, billeisele said:

I don't have any special or inside knowledgeable about insurance but .... I often wondered why one brand would have that type of large increase and another wouldn't. I was shopping insurance and an agent told me that if they have higher than expected claims the rates are adjusted to recover those expenses. He said they tend to work on a rolling 3-year average but that wasn't an exact science. The company I was talking to had a fairly high exposure because they insured property along the coast and we had a flooding event. In addition there were tornados in other states where they had a high concentration of customers. They stopped writing policies for coastal properties and dropped some of their customers to reduce exposure. The other company that I spoke with said that they didn't even write policies in coastal areas, they have high margins but high risk.  Makes sense.

Hi Bill,

Re:  I don't have any special or inside knowledgeable about insurance

I do not either.  However, a few years before I sold my last motorcycle, my rates for it nearly doubled.  I had not one claim in the 4 previous years of riding; I've never made any claim about any motorcycle I've owned.  I called the agent as was informed that my bill had jumped because of the Zip Code that I lived in.  Apparently, this Zip Code had a few 'too many' claims; so all of our rates went up.

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

On 11/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, Bigfalls said:

Maybe now but there are more presidents to come.

Bigalls you crafty son of a gun, what exactly are you implying? LOL

What most Americans realize, we may have more than the usual during this four year cycle? If so then a Heiress catastrophe may make Bad Man not so bad.