8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

From politico (hardly right wing)

“Americans are losing patience with the ever-shifting orders coming down from the federal government, making it increasingly difficult to convince people to return to public health precautions like mask wearing, POLITICO’s Dan Goldberg and Erin Banco report…

It was just months ago that the CDC triumphantly dropped its mask-wearing recommendations. And up until recently, health officials were still insisting that the vaccines offered near-total protection. Now masking requirements are suddenly back, driven by new evidence even the vaccinated can pass on the virus. It’s a whipsaw that’s provided fodder for critics and contributed to rising tensions within the administration.”

I rest my case.

57 minutes ago, jakee said:

Your own fucking quote.

More quotes, this time from Forbes 

“As reported by Washington Post on Friday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest findings and recommendations about the delta variant are at odds with the White House’s messaging about Covid-19….

The apparent failure or initial reluctance by the White House to provide current, straightforward and consistent information about the coronavirus crisis could give new ammunition to those who are opposed to vaccines and further hamper efforts to get the entire U.S. population vaccinated as soon as possible.”

From CNN
“As the status of Covid-19 in the US has changed quickly in the last few weeks with the rise of the highly contagious Delta variant, the messages coming from public health officials inside the Biden administration have sometimes been muddled or contradictory.

Those changing messages have led to questions about whether public health officials are all on the same page and caused confusion in a public that was hoping to move on from the pandemic.”

Edited by brenthutch

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

“Americans are losing patience with the ever-shifting orders coming down from the federal government, making it increasingly difficult to convince people to return to public health precautions like mask wearing, POLITICO’s Dan Goldberg and Erin Banco report…

That is an indictment of Americans, not of the administration. 

35 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I honestly don't think the message can be dumbed down any further. The fact many of your compatriots cannot understand that things change isn't a communications problem.

The CDC is trying.  They recently revised their definition of vaccination from "the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease" to  "the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce protection to a specific disease" because people did not understand the term "immunity" and thought it implied 100% protection.

Of course, the right wing is now attacking them for being involved in some sort of coverup because they changed it.  C'est la vie.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

More quotes, this time from Forbes 

“As reported by Washington Post on Friday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest findings and recommendations about the delta variant are at odds with the White House’s messaging about Covid-19….

The apparent failure or initial reluctance by the White House to provide current, straightforward and consistent information about the coronavirus crisis could give new ammunition to those who are opposed to vaccines and further hamper efforts to get the entire U.S. population vaccinated as soon as possible.”

From CNN
“As the status of Covid-19 in the US has changed quickly in the last few weeks with the rise of the highly contagious Delta variant, the messages coming from public health officials inside the Biden administration have sometimes been muddled or contradictory.

Those changing messages have led to questions about whether public health officials are all on the same page and caused confusion in a public that was hoping to move on from the pandemic.”

Just because they're making the same stupid mistake you are does not make your mistake any less stupid. Do you want them to give a consistent, unchanging message or do you want them to react to the latest findings and recommendations? You can't have it both ways and pretend to be anything other than the brazen partisan hack that you are.

And I guess you've noticed that all of you articles are bashing the Biden administration over the fact that the public are tired of covid and the public don't trust the fact that the recommendations keep changing as the Delta variant spreads. Quite frankly, the public needs to man the fuck up. They were hoping to move on from the pandemic? Well unfortunately, just like your creepy stalker ex the pandemic is not ready for the public to move on just yet and they have no choice but to accept that. It's still here and winter is coming. That has nothing to do with the Biden administration's messaging.

13 minutes ago, jakee said:

Just because they're making the same stupid mistake you are does not make your mistake any less stupid. Do you want them to give a consistent, unchanging message or do you want them to react to the latest findings and recommendations? 

The politicals in the White House slow walked and down played the CDC’s masking recommendation because it would make them look bad. They have also badmouthed the press for overstating the dangers of the delta variant.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/media/variant-media-coverage-white-house/index.html

The result was confused messaging. IOW the White House was/is playing politics with COVID.

15 hours ago, billvon said:

Not quite.  There was no need for a mask at first because we assumed that it was like every other coronavirus and spread primarily by contact.  Once we found out it was, masking was recommended.  Simple.

Some masks are better than others.  KN-95 masks work very well.  If you are using a cloth mask, using a second mask underneath it can increase its effectiveness.  Again, simple.

Vaccinations reduce, but never eliminate, the chance of becoming infected.  (This is true of every vaccine, not just COVID.)  Simple.

We didn't need a booster for the original strain.  We may need a booster for the new strain.  Again, simple.

The people who don't understand any of that are either people with a serious disability - or people who have a political need to misunderstand it.  I am guessing you are the latter.

Not at all. His self assigned identity is that of a contrarian intellectual. Call it trolling or whatever but all we do is play his foil and help him hone his arguments. Just imagine how much smarter and effective he is at the gun club owing to our efforts. He gets hammered here and stays for more. Why? Well, we are invisible to the rest of his world. Useful idiots, I think we're called.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

The politicals in the White House slow walked and down played the CDC’s masking recommendation because it would make them look bad. They have also badmouthed the press for overstating the dangers of the delta variant.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/media/variant-media-coverage-white-house/index.html

You are flat out lying about the contents of the article you just posted. The actual contents of that article refute what you have said in this post more effectively than anything else I could add.

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

You are flat out lying about the contents of the article you just posted. The actual contents of that article refute what you have said in this post more effectively than anything else I could add.

How so?  I said there is confusion around COVID messaging.  Clearly that is the case.  

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

How so?  I said there is confusion around COVID messaging.  Clearly that is the case.  

Let me just check if that's an accurate summary of your last post. 

Nope, you're lying again.

Edited by jakee

Trump's messaging:

Jan. 22:

Jan. 29: 5 cases confirmed in U.S. 

We have the best experts anywhere in the world, and they are on top of it 24/7!" the president tweeted

Jan. 30: 7 cases confirmed in U.S. 

U.S. has a "very little problem" with five cases

•  "We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully. 

Feb. 7: 11 confirmed cases in U.S. 

With warmer weather "virus hopefully becomes weaker with warmer weather, and then gone"

• "Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days. Nothing is easy, but......he will be successful, especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone. Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!" the president tweeted

Feb. 23: 51 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Situation is "very much under control"

Feb. 24: 51 confirmed cases in U.S. 

"The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA" 

• "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!" the president tweeted

Feb. 25: 57 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Coronavirus is "very well under control in our country" 

• "You may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it, and the people that have it are - in all cases, I have not heard anything other,"

Feb. 26:  

The 15 cases in U.S. "within a couple days is going to be down close to zero"

• "I want you to understand something that shocked me when I saw it that — and I spoke with Dr. Fauci on this, and I was really amazed, and I think most people are amazed to hear it: The flu, in our country, kills from 25,000 people to 69,000 people a year. That was shocking to me. And, so far, if you look at what we have with the 15 people and their recovery, one is — one is pretty sick but hopefully will recover, but the others are in great shape. But think of that: 25,000 to 69,000. ... "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done," the president said during a Coronavirus Task Force Press briefing at the White House.

Feb. 27: 60 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Virus will "disappear" one day "like a miracle"

Feb. 29: 74 confirmed cases in U.S. 

"Everything is really under control"

• "And we've done a great job. And I've gotten to know these professionals. They're incredible. And everything is under control. I mean, they're very, very cool. They've done it, and they've done it well. Everything is really under control." —  Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland. One attendee from that event later tested positive, and lawmakers who attended went under self-quarantine. 

First coronavirus death in the U.S. on this day 

• "We've taken the most aggressive actions to confront the coronavirus. They are the most aggressive taken by any country and we're the number one travel destination anywhere in the world, yet we have far fewer cases of the disease then even countries with much less travel or a much smaller population." —White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing

March 4: 217 confirmed cases in U.S. 

It's "very safe to fly" in "large portions of the world" 

• "Yeah, I think where these people are flying, it's safe to fly. And large portions of the world are very safe to fly. So we don't want to say anything other than that. And we have closed down certain sections of the world, frankly, and they've sort of automatically closed them also. They'll understand that and they understand it better, perhaps, than anybody. Yes, it's safe." — White House meeting with airline executives.

March 6: 402 confirmed cases in U.S. 

"Anybody that wants a test can get a test"

• "Anybody that wants a test can get a test. ... The tests are all perfect, like the letter was perfect, the transcription was perfect, right?" —  CDC headquarters in Atlanta   

March 9: 959 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Compares number of deaths caused by coronavirus and flu 

• "So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!" the president tweeted

March 10: 1,300 confirmed cases in U.S. 

"Just stay calm. It will go away"

March 12: 2,200 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Highlights lower number of deaths in U.S.

• "I mean, think of it: The United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point. Other countries that are smaller countries have many, many deaths. Thirty-two is a lot. Thirty-two is too many. But when you look at the kind of numbers that you're seeing coming out of other countries, it's pretty amazing when you think of it. So, that's it." — Trump meeting with Irish prime minister at White House.

March 13: 2,700 confirmed cases in U.S. 

• "We have 40 people right now. Forty. Compare that with other countries that have many, many times that amount. And one of the reasons we have 40 and others have — and, again, that number is going up, just so you understand. And a number of cases, which are very small, relatively speaking — it's going up. But we've done a great job because we acted quickly. We acted early. And there's nothing we could have done that was better than closing our borders to highly infected areas."  — Rose Garden press conference.

March 16: 6,400 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Announces new social distancing guidelines, says outbreak could last until July or August

• "I've spoken actually with my son. He says, 'How bad is this?' It's bad. It's bad. But we're going to — we're going to be, hopefully, a best case, not a worst case. And that's what we're working for." 
  • "They think August, it could be July," he said at a press briefing Monday, referring to members of the White House task force. "Could be longer than that."— White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing

March 24: 65,800 confirmed cases in U.S.  

Wants country and economy "raring to go by Easter" 

• "I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter," the president said of easing social distancing guidelines in parts of the country." 
  • "I think Easter Sunday — you'll have packed churches all over our country." — Fox News town hall.

"We begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel" 

March 29: 161,800 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Extends Easter target to April 30

• "The better you do, the faster this whole nightmare will end. Therefore, we will be extending our guidelines to April 30th to slow the spread. ... We can expect that, by June 1st, we will be well on our way to recovery. We think, by June 1st, a lot of great things will be happening." — White House Rose Garden press conference.

April 3: 273,880 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Trump stands by past comments that virus will "go away"

• "I said it was going away - and it is going away." — White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Let me just check if that's an accurate summary of your last post. 

Nope, you're lying again.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Trump's messaging:

Jan. 22:

Jan. 29: 5 cases confirmed in U.S. 

We have the best experts anywhere in the world, and they are on top of it 24/7!" the president tweeted

Jan. 30: 7 cases confirmed in U.S. 

U.S. has a "very little problem" with five cases

•  "We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully. 

Feb. 7: 11 confirmed cases in U.S. 

With warmer weather "virus hopefully becomes weaker with warmer weather, and then gone"

• "Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days. Nothing is easy, but......he will be successful, especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone. Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!" the president tweeted

Feb. 23: 51 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Situation is "very much under control"

Feb. 24: 51 confirmed cases in U.S. 

"The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA" 

• "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!" the president tweeted

Feb. 25: 57 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Coronavirus is "very well under control in our country" 

• "You may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it, and the people that have it are - in all cases, I have not heard anything other,"

Feb. 26:  

The 15 cases in U.S. "within a couple days is going to be down close to zero"

• "I want you to understand something that shocked me when I saw it that — and I spoke with Dr. Fauci on this, and I was really amazed, and I think most people are amazed to hear it: The flu, in our country, kills from 25,000 people to 69,000 people a year. That was shocking to me. And, so far, if you look at what we have with the 15 people and their recovery, one is — one is pretty sick but hopefully will recover, but the others are in great shape. But think of that: 25,000 to 69,000. ... "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done," the president said during a Coronavirus Task Force Press briefing at the White House.

Feb. 27: 60 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Virus will "disappear" one day "like a miracle"

"Everything is really under control"

• "And we've done a great job. And I've gotten to know these professionals. They're incredible. And everything is under control. I mean, they're very, very cool. They've done it, and they've done it well. Everything is really under control." —  Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland. One attendee from that event later tested positive, and lawmakers who attended went under self-quarantine. 

First coronavirus death in the U.S. on this day 

• "We've taken the most aggressive actions to confront the coronavirus. They are the most aggressive taken by any country and we're the number one travel destination anywhere in the world, yet we have far fewer cases of the disease then even countries with much less travel or a much smaller population." —White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing

March 4: 217 confirmed cases in U.S. 

It's "very safe to fly" in "large portions of the world" 

• "Yeah, I think where these people are flying, it's safe to fly. And large portions of the world are very safe to fly. So we don't want to say anything other than that. And we have closed down certain sections of the world, frankly, and they've sort of automatically closed them also. They'll understand that and they understand it better, perhaps, than anybody. Yes, it's safe." — White House meeting with airline executives.

March 6: 402 confirmed cases in U.S. 

"Anybody that wants a test can get a test"

• "Anybody that wants a test can get a test. ... The tests are all perfect, like the letter was perfect, the transcription was perfect, right?" —  CDC headquarters in Atlanta   

March 9: 959 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Compares number of deaths caused by coronavirus and flu 

• "So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!" the president tweeted

March 10: 1,300 confirmed cases in U.S. 

"Just stay calm. It will go away"

March 12: 2,200 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Highlights lower number of deaths in U.S.

• "I mean, think of it: The United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point. Other countries that are smaller countries have many, many deaths. Thirty-two is a lot. Thirty-two is too many. But when you look at the kind of numbers that you're seeing coming out of other countries, it's pretty amazing when you think of it. So, that's it." — Trump meeting with Irish prime minister at White House.

March 13: 2,700 confirmed cases in U.S. 

• "We have 40 people right now. Forty. Compare that with other countries that have many, many times that amount. And one of the reasons we have 40 and others have — and, again, that number is going up, just so you understand. And a number of cases, which are very small, relatively speaking — it's going up. But we've done a great job because we acted quickly. We acted early. And there's nothing we could have done that was better than closing our borders to highly infected areas."  — Rose Garden press conference.

March 16: 6,400 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Announces new social distancing guidelines, says outbreak could last until July or August

• "I've spoken actually with my son. He says, 'How bad is this?' It's bad. It's bad. But we're going to — we're going to be, hopefully, a best case, not a worst case. And that's what we're working for." 
  • "They think August, it could be July," he said at a press briefing Monday, referring to members of the White House task force. "Could be longer than that."— White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing

Wants country and economy "raring to go by Easter" 

• "I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter," the president said of easing social distancing guidelines in parts of the country." 
  • "I think Easter Sunday — you'll have packed churches all over our country." — Fox News town hall.

"We begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel" 

March 29: 161,800 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Extends Easter target to April 30

• "The better you do, the faster this whole nightmare will end. Therefore, we will be extending our guidelines to April 30th to slow the spread. ... We can expect that, by June 1st, we will be well on our way to recovery. We think, by June 1st, a lot of great things will be happening." — White House Rose Garden press conference.

April 3: 273,880 confirmed cases in U.S. 

Trump stands by past comments that virus will "go away"

• "I said it was going away - and it is going away." — White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing.

Wrong thread, this is about Biden, not the bad orange man living in your head.

Edited by brenthutch

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Wrong thread, this is about Biden,

It's not though, is it? Certainly your rcent pots have absolutely nothing to do with anything the Biden administration has actually done.

not the bad orange man living in your head.

Again, you have on multiple occasions brought the bad black man into this thread for no apparent reason. How has it felt to have him living in your head for the past 5 years?

5 hours ago, jakee said:

It's not though, is it? Certainly your rcent pots have absolutely nothing to do with anything the Biden administration has actually done.

Again, you have on multiple occasions brought the bad black man into this thread for no apparent reason. How has it felt to have him living in your head for the past 5 years?

A criticism can be as much for something that was not done (secure the border and deliver on his promise to “shut down the virus”) as much as mistakes that were done (Afghanistan fiasco).

If I mentioned Obama, it is because Biden was his VP and famously the “last man in the room” when important decisions were being made.

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

I think reading confuses him.

I read the linked article, and brent's "summary" is way off.

Oh you are back! Good! You went silent there for a few day, had me worried.  Have you sorted out:

Olof

“When you need to increase energy production capacity for wind or solar, you just add an extra solar panel or an extra wind turbine and hook it up. Repeat as many times as necessary.”

Also Olof

“China's building coal plants at a rapid pace because as a developing country, their energy needs are increasing quickly”

Also Olof

If you want to increase energy production for a coal plant, you'll need to choose a site, get architects in and design and build an entire power plant facility. Gives you a big step increase in power capacity, but takes a lot longer.”

So which is it?

Edited by brenthutch

15 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

A criticism can be as much for something that was not done (secure the border and deliver on his promise to “shut down the virus”) as much as mistakes that were done (Afghanistan fiasco).

Sure, but it can’t be for claiming they’ve done something they haven’t done, as in the post above where you are flat out lying about the contents of an article you linked as evidence of your claims.

24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If I mentioned Obama, it is because Biden was his VP and famously the “last man in the room” when important decisions were being made.

No, it’s because you’re a dishonest and intellectually bankrupt troll, but nice try.

• Like 1

More mass confusion, or should I say mask confusion :rofl:

“The CDC announced on May 13 that fully vaccinated Americans could stop wearing masks indoors and outside”

One day later, on May 14, Erika Dinkel-Smith, the White House director of labor engagement, said she stopped the NEA from releasing a critical statement that had called for immediate clarification.

"Would you know when Dr. Wolensky would be able to call NEA-Pres. Becky Pringle?" Dinkel-Smith wrote in the email. "They've gotten significant incoming and are getting targeted for a response from the media. I've gotten them to hold on their statement calling for clarification."

The next day, on May 15, the CDC updated its masking guidance to indicate that all people should wear a mask at school regardless of vaccination status. 

"This batch of emails came just weeks after we already exposed the teachers unions influenced the CDC on school openings," Americans for Public Trust Executive Director Caitlin Sutherland told Fox News. "Lo and behold, less than two weeks later, they're at it again, but this time in relation to mask guidance."

Well it looks like politics is trumping science when it comes to our children’s education.

• Like 1