8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

17 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

In the period 1991-1993, inclusive, I made six trips to Brazil on business.  At that time, I was informed by the people I interfaced with, that their inflation rate was right at 5,000% per year.  Yes, that is five thousand percent.

All of the menus in restaurants had their prices in pencil so they could be changed every day.

Jerry Baumchen

Yep. My brothers both lived there during the 80’s and 90’s off and on. You couldn’t date a traveler’s check, because the value was set by the date on it. I had to bring one back with me when I went down in 89. 
The currency in use when I first moved there in 1960 is worth 1/10,000 of the unit now. I think. Maybe less. 
Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Only the part that said:

....the biggest advance since the data was first measured back in November 2010.”

And you act like this proves a point. Again I have to ask, since you know that other people can read what exactly do you get out of pretending to be this stupid?

I guess if you wanted to be overly pedantic (too late) you could make the argument inflation was worse during the Weimar Republic in Germany so it’s not really a record.  Would it make you feel better if I said the largest jump in the PPI EVER RECORDED by the department of labor?  You seem grouchy.

EVER RECORDED in the last 11 years. Wow! I wonder what you would say if someone said a change in temperatures since 2010 was proof of AGW? If anyone seems grouchy it's because your staggering hypocrisy has crossed from amusing to tedious.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

When you continue to feed a troll, the trolling continues.

I have come to understand that feeding the troll becomes a bad habit some people can't resist . I think it is like going to the zoo and tossing tidbits to the dumb animals. It has a certain entertainment value in watching them scramble around and slobber while they gobble up the treats.

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

covid spreading,

How is that Biden's fault, exactly?  We have had fewer than 1,000 deaths from COVID since he took office, not for lack of trying by some large segments of the population who refuse to participate in the societal efforts encouraged and/or enacted by the administration (championed by the president) that are proven to slow and stop the spread of disease.  Do you expect him to wave some kind of magic wand to make it all go away?  If his predecessor couldn't do it (again, not for lack of wishful thinking and public promises), how do you figure Biden would be able to stop this?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

How is that Biden's fault, exactly?  We have had fewer than 1,000 deaths from COVID since he took office, not for lack of trying by some large segments of the population who refuse to participate in the societal efforts encouraged and/or enacted by the administration (championed by the president) that are proven to slow and stop the spread of disease.  Do you expect him to wave some kind of magic wand to make it all go away?  If his predecessor couldn't do it (again, not for lack of wishful thinking and public promises), how do you figure Biden would be able to stop this?

I don’t expect him to stop it, because he is a befuddled geriatric.  But if we hold him to his own self-established metric of “70% vaccinated by the Fourth of July” he is a failure. 

Edited by brenthutch

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

I don’t expect him to stop it, because he is a befuddled geriatric.  But if we hold him to his own self-established metric of “70% vaccinated by the Fourth of July” he is a failure. 

Until you achieve a 70% correct rating you might be a little more understanding.

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Only if you count those he couldn't convince to get vaccinated has he failed.  The vaccines were in place and accessible.  It is the fault of those who refuse to take them that we aren't at that metric.

Again, how do you expect him to stop this?  Do you agree with vaccine mandates?  Perhaps in your opinion he should have instituted a mandate before the vaccines had full FDA approval.  Yeah, that would have gotten us to 70%.

Edited by TriGirl
clarity

8 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Only if you count those he couldn't convince to get vaccinated has he failed.  The vaccines were in place and accessible.  It is the fault of those who refuse to take them that we aren't at that metric.

Again, how do you expect him to stop this?  Do you agree with vaccine mandates?  Perhaps in your opinion he should have instituted a mandate before the vaccines had full FDA approval.  Yeah, that would have gotten us to 70%.

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/united-states/white-house-abruptly-cuts-media-feed-as-biden-goes-off-script-during-idaho-event/video/90cd7fb03c7b61d67af614aacd44f98c

Just who is running our country?  Who is the “they” Biden is referring to when he says “they told me I have to do this” or “they told me I can’t do that”?

17 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Trigirl not following your “rules” (Brent always wins, no matter what) does not  constitute a failure to communicate on her part. 
Wendy P. 

No, I wasn’t referring to Trigirl, I was referring to the Biden administration’s failure to deliver a consistent and cogent message with regard to vaccines and COVID.

48 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I was referring to the Biden administration’s failure to deliver a consistent and cogent message with regard to vaccines and COVID.

I know it was much easier for people when they could just waive it away as the China Virus that will go away by itself. Now all of a sudden there is a need to do a little bit of thinking and it would appear a lot of your fellow countrymen and women are struggling a bit with that concept.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

No, I wasn’t referring to Trigirl, I was referring to the Biden administration’s failure to deliver a consistent and cogent message with regard to vaccines and COVID.

The message has been quite consistent if you don't have a political need to misunderstand it.  Get vaccinated.  Wear masks and distance in areas of high infection.  Get tested.  Not hard to understand - again, unless you have an overriding reason to intentionally misunderstand it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, billvon said:

The message has been quite consistent if you don't have a political need to misunderstand it.  Get vaccinated.  Wear masks and distance in areas of high infection.  Get tested.  Not hard to understand - again, unless you have an overriding reason to intentionally misunderstand it.

Hi Bill,

Re:  a consistent and cogent message

We are in new territory; none of us have ever lived during a pandemic.  We should expect that the messages will sometimes be not consistent and cogent.

Every day, this is new ground for our scientists.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

In respect of a consistent and cogent message, from February 28, 2020:

The story of the Trump pandemic response actually began several years ago. Almost as soon as he took office, Trump began cutting funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, leading in turn to an 80 percent cut in the resources the agency devotes to global disease outbreaks. Trump also shut down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.

Experts warned that these moves were exposing America to severe risks. “We’ll leave the field open to microbes,” declared Tom Frieden, a much-admired former head of the C.D.C., more than two years ago. But the Trump administration has a preconceived notion about where national security threats come from — basically, scary brown people — and is hostile to science in general. So we entered the current crisis in an already weakened condition.

The first reaction of the Trumpers was to see the coronavirus as a Chinese problem — and to see whatever is bad for China as being good for us. Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary, cheered it on as a development that would “accelerate the return of jobs to North America.”

The story changed once it became clear that the virus was spreading well beyond China. At that point it became a hoax perpetrated by the news media. Rush Limbaugh weighed in: “It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. … The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.”

On Wednesday Trump held a news conference on the virus, much of it devoted to incoherent jabs at Democrats and the media. He did, however, announce the leader of the government response to the threat. Instead of putting a health care professional in charge, however, he handed the job to Vice President Mike Pence, who has an interesting relationship with both health policy and science.

Early in his political career, Pence staked out a distinctive position on public health, declaring that smoking doesn’t kill people. He has also repeatedly insisted that evolution is just a theory. As governor of Indiana, he blocked a needle exchange program that could have prevented a significant H.I.V. outbreak, calling for prayer instead.

And now, according to The Times, government scientists will need to get Pence’s approval before making public statements about the coronavirus.

So the Trumpian response to crisis is completely self-centered, entirely focused on making Trump look good rather than protecting America. If the facts don’t make Trump look good, he and his allies attack the messengers, blaming the news media and the Democrats — while trying to prevent scientists from keeping us informed. And in choosing people to deal with a real crisis, Trump prizes loyalty rather than competence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billvon said:

No need for mask, now we need a mask, now we need two masks, get vaccinated and you don’t need a mask, the vaccine is super effective, vaccinated can’t get COVID, well you might get it but your viral load will be so low that you can’t spread it, even if you have been vaccinated you still need to wear a mask, prior infection is less efficacious than the vaccine, actually immunity imparted by prior infection is more robust than the vaccine, we don’t anticipate the need for a booster, oops now you need a booster (and don’t listen to the WHO if they tell you differently)

yep quite consistent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

In respect of a consistent and cogent message, from February 28, 2020:

The story of the Trump pandemic response actually began several years ago. Almost as soon as he took office, Trump began cutting funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Maybe if their funds were cut earlier they wouldn’t have had the money to finance gain-of-function research in China and we wouldn’t have to be in this mess.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

No need for mask, now we need a mask, now we need two masks, get vaccinated and you don’t need a mask, the vaccine is super effective, vaccinated can’t get COVID, well you might get it but your viral load will be so low that you can’t spread it, even if you have been vaccinated you still need to wear a mask, prior infection is less efficacious than the vaccine, actually immunity imparted by prior infection is more robust than the vaccine, we don’t anticipate the need for a booster, oops now you need a booster (and don’t listen to the WHO if they tell you differently)

yep quite consistent 

No need for mask, now we need a mask, now we need two masks - Pretty sure these happened under Trump, no 2 masks were never a NEED, just a recommendation.

I know you have low standards for where you get your information but I am still amazed at how wrong you often are. The vaccine was super effective with the common variants at that time. Covid we are seeing today is not the same Covid that was common a year ago, ever hear of something called evolution? (changes in allele frequency in a population over time). Most of these changes in messaging correspond to changes in the virus, but the messaging has been consistent for a given situation. 

I bet you'd recommend a skydiver wave off before pulling, but if they lose altitude awareness and find themselves passing through 1,800ft would you recommend waving off first or going straight to reserve?

I have heard and assumed boosters would be needed since fall of 2020. Especially given the vaccine hesitancy of many people and animal resivours for this virus. The leading idea has been that this will likely become endemic and that we will get annual vaccine shots for Covid compounded with annual flu shots. I understand you were probably busy claiming that this is just a cold and will go away on its own but this has been a prevailing idea for a while now. Welcome to the party, your previous misunderstandings do not indicate others were wrong, but rather you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

yep quite consistent 

Not quite.  There was no need for a mask at first because we assumed that it was like every other coronavirus and spread primarily by contact.  Once we found out it was, masking was recommended.  Simple.

Some masks are better than others.  KN-95 masks work very well.  If you are using a cloth mask, using a second mask underneath it can increase its effectiveness.  Again, simple.

Vaccinations reduce, but never eliminate, the chance of becoming infected.  (This is true of every vaccine, not just COVID.)  Simple.

We didn't need a booster for the original strain.  We may need a booster for the new strain.  Again, simple.

The people who don't understand any of that are either people with a serious disability - or people who have a political need to misunderstand it.  I am guessing you are the latter.

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

yep quite consistent 

So your criticism of the Biden administration is that they don’t have a crystal ball and can’t see into the future? 

Get over yourself.