8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

When the government supplies the demand with a money party while constraining supply of goods and services, it is a market distortion and we are seeing the results.

So was the money party the CARES act or the American Rescue plan? And how exactly did the federal government constrain supply? Just trying to follow you here.

(edited)
47 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

So was the money party the CARES act or the American Rescue plan? And how exactly did the federal government constrain supply? Just trying to follow you here.

When unemployment benefits exceed what workers would have made by working.   
Folks aren’t lazy, they are smart.  Why go back to work when you can make more money sitting on your couch and playing x-box? A friend of mine who manages a Quaker Steak and Lube (it is a restaurant)hired a guy who just informed him that he will not start until his enhanced benefits run out.

Edited by brenthutch

23 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Folks aren’t lazy, they are smart.  Why go back to work when you can make more money sitting on your couch and playing x-box? A friend of mine who manages a Quaker Steak and Lube (it is a restaurant)hired a guy who just informed him that he will not start until his enhanced benefits run out.

Okay I get your point there and I agree that is a problem. In service industries where the workers make low wages the logic is obvious. So you might have to pay a little more to get steaked and lubed now. 

That doesn’t explain the rise in prices for consumer goods though. I think that’s more of a supply side issue in the face of pent up demand that was already there. Manufacturers are not able to ramp up production instantaneously.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/business/coronavirus-global-shortages.amp.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The money should have been concentrated to help the folks who were most impacted by the pandemic.  I don’t see how giving thousands of dollars to people who never missed a paycheck helps anything.  

What did you do with yours?  I donated mine to charities helping the poor make it through the pandemic, since I'm one of your "90% that don't need it."  

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Folks aren’t lazy, they are smart.  Why go back to work when you can make more money sitting on your couch and playing x-box?

Which means that, during the pandemic, a lot of people . . . stayed home.

It's almost as if it worked.

16 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The economy, pre-pandemic, would bear that out. Record low unemployment (especially for minorities) and real wage growth.  AKA trickle down.

The economy grew faster and more jobs were created pre tax-cut than post tax-cut. Trump slowed the economy down by giving lost of money to already rich people.

16 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The interesting part is that you seem to think the issue is the benefits and ot the compensation offered to work and that the solution is to make people more miserable so they go to work for wages below poverty levels.

Of the more than 250,000 jobs listed in Tennessee, only about 3% offer a wage above $20,000 per year. I don't blame people for not wanting to work for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

The economy grew faster and more jobs were created pre tax-cut than post tax-cut. Trump slowed the economy down by giving lost of money to already rich people.

Well let’s just have a massive tax increase and see how well that works out.  BTW it is hard to create lots of new jobs when everyone has a job and we are at full employment.

Well let’s just have a massive tax increase and see how well that works out.

The opposite of not giving a tax break is NOT a massive tax increase.

BTW it is hard to create lots of new jobs when everyone has a job and we are at full employment.

Sounds like no economic incentive was required then. So why give a tax break to the rich and run up the deficit and debt even further?

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Sounds like no economic incentive was required then. So why give a tax break to the rich and run up the deficit and debt even further?

I agree, the tax cut should have been offset by cuts in spending.  OTOH spending should be fully paid for by wide base tax increases. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I agree, the tax cut should have been offset by cuts in spending.

Weird you think that, since trickle down fantasy also assumes tax cuts to the rich will be offset by increased taxation revenue overall. So, I guess you don't really support trickle down and just want tax cuts for yourself.

Edited by SkyDekker

17 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Weird you think that, since trickle down fantasy also assumes tax cuts to the rich will be offset by increased taxation revenue overall. So, I guess you don't really support trickle down and just want tax cuts for yourself.

Like many people who prefer that their children and grandchildren do the paying.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Like many people who prefer that their children and grandchildren do the paying.

At a high level, the breakdown in political orientation here really rests on the question "who's responsible for the results of your actions?"  If you think you are responsible for your actions, you're a liberal.  If you think that your kids/some other country/someone else is responsible, you're a conservative.

58 minutes ago, billvon said:

At a high level, the breakdown in political orientation here really rests on the question "who's responsible for the results of your actions?"  If you think you are responsible for your actions, you're a liberal.  If you think that your kids/some other country/someone else is responsible, you're a conservative.

And the opposite when it comes to responsibility for other people. If you think that as a society we should try and help those less fortunate, then you are a liberal. if you think those less fortunate are just lazy and they need to work harder, then you are a conservative.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Somebody else's kids and grandkids can do the paying, I don't have any.

I didn't need the stimulus checks so I donated most of my first one and plan to donate most of the second one.

Almost every business I go to has a help wanted or now hiring sign. 

I live in a busy tourism area and businesses are having a hard time finding staff for the summer.

I agree, too much unemployment payout and little incentive to work.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:53 AM, billvon said:

Biden: fucks up jokes

Trump: calls service members "suckers" and "losers."

We're doing better at least.

Hi Bill, 

Biden did "fuck up the joke'.

He also plagiarized the joke, nothing new, probably didn't even know it was Reagans.LOL, even his staff / writers must not have realize it was Ronnies.

Bidens tell, was in his reaction to failure, in the silence of the Graduates. His own blunder "Just a failed joke", but an honest reaction to his own failure and reaction to adversity.We can apply his phycology to other failures of his administration.

As for truth, you didn't find it in the Atlantic.

Reforming the VA, 0bamas own existential threat North Korea, No new wars, GoldStar,Wounded Warrior and the MOAB on top of ISIS heads are for, In your best Trump impression, "Losers"

I think comedy could shed light.

(edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 5:21 PM, gowlerk said:

It’s pretty easy to sit here and criticize this project with our ample supplies of gas. It might look a little different to someone who needs to import it from somewhere.

That somewhere, would have, could have, but won't be America. What a wasted opportunity for Reciprocal relationships with common cause, we own the Atlantic, we have the Gas. What could be more secure to Nato and their energy security?

On 5/19/2021 at 8:05 AM, Bigfalls said:

Biden cancels Keystone pipe line but ok's Russian pipeline.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/18/politics/us-nord-stream-decision/index.html

Oh, a fly on the wall, a Closed door session between Putin and Biden. LOL.

A five hour match, Checkers player vs. former KGB chess player, it lasted some two hours, outcome predictable.A True Puppet of Putin.

Edited by richravizza
Puppet